Changes to Brisbane small lot codes?

Hi all. I read somewhere, and for the life of me I cannot remember where, that all of those 809 square meter blocks in Brisbane, and there are hundreds of them, will soon no longer be able to be subdivided because the minimim lot size will be greater than 405 square meters. I have looked at the Brisbane City Council web site and cannot find anything on this. Would someone care to verify my information?

Cheers

I was told last month that two years from 1 January 2007 (meaning 1 January 2009) the lots size rules will change. I checked it with a town planner I was dealing with at the time and he confirmed it but I don't know any more.

BCC should be able to confirm with a phone call, or at least point you to the information spelling it all out.

Wylie

Thanks for the reply Wylie. Would you believe that I rang the BCC and they pointed me to info on the small lot code that did NOT reflect that information. Having said the person I spoke to did seem to confident. I guess I should try again.

Hi Juggernaut,

You may have read this in the January 2007 API, in a story I wrote that was mostly about character restrictions on Queensland houses. We included a box about the lot size changes, which Deputy Mayor David Hinchliffe told me about in an interview.

Basically you won't be able to split blocks less than 900 sqm.

A two-year "use it or lose it" period started on January 1 this year, under which you can still apply to subdivide a block smaller than 900 sqm under the old regime. The council can use the new regime to reject your application, but it will be liable for compensation if it does so.

From Jan 1, 2009, however, the changes come into full force.

Hope that helps,
Matthew

It was my understanding that if the property was an 809 or less it now cant be split (after the grace period ends anyway) UNLESS it is already on two titles. the minimum splitter after the grace period is a 900sqm making a small lot a minimum of 450sqm

If the property is already on two titles the changes to the small lot code do not apply and still allow a 400sqm lot

If the property is already on two titles the changes to the small lot code do not apply and still allow a 400sqm lot
From my simple understanding that's the way it works and i have spoke to
David Hinchliffe about this issue when he was out wathching the way the
water floods some low water levels areas and parks on the inner southside
when it last rained in Brisbane, but as he said it depends on the area and
as you know the BCC covers a very large area.. good luck willair..

Brisbane Subdivision Rules

Ok... just to clear up a few things here.

The changes are to property in Brisbane located in Demolition Control Precincts. If the property is NOT located in a Demolition Control Precinct then the new rules do not apply.

The new rules are 450m2 minimum area (so yes, you will need 900m2 plus now to subdivide - also make sure it is wide enough).

There is a 2 year grace period, but that does not mean you will automaticallly be granted grace! It will come back to how appropriate the situation is. For example, if the new rules (which came in Jan 07) have been around for a year and then you bought a property where you knew the changes were coming into affect, are you entitled to grace?

The grace period is like a 'use it or lose it' scenario (I would assume to prevent compensation claims???).

As stated preiously, if the property is already two lots, and you can make them unencumbered (i.e. the house sits on only one, or the house can be removed, then the new rules do not apply here because essentially the property has already been subdivided sometime way in the past.

Justin

Back