Changing agents

Hi all
I have a situation where I've recently dealt with a particular agent within a RE agency, and was less than impressed by him.
There's another house listed by that agency that I'd like to take a look at, but I really don't want to use the same guy.
Is there a protocol I should follow? I know normally once you're linked to a particular agent, you're "supposed" to continue to liaise with them.
I am considering just ringing up the agency and hoping for pot luck with a sales agent. Unfortunately the agent I had trouble with is the listing agent for the house I'm interested in.

Find out the name of the principal. Call and ask for him by name. Then use him as a normal agent.

Otherwise I'd go with pot luck. Bear in mind thou, you will be dealing with that agent cause he's the listing agent, all your info and offers will go from your agent to the listing agent, to the owners. If the listing agent doesn't like your kind of deals, he won't represent them well to the owners.

Jas

Good question Lissy. I have had similar problems with REAs when purchasing. I must attract the drongos. My last 2 purchases have been with REAs who were terrible at their job. Their only positive was the house/unit, which sold themselves. I was troubled that the agent would receive the commission for the sale, when they obviously didn't deserve it.
I probably should have complained to the agency, but let it slide. I guess putting up with a slack REA is a small price to pay if you are buying a great property at a bargain price.

ralph wiggum said:
I guess putting up with a slack REA is a small price to pay if you are buying a great property at a bargain price.

Putting up with a slack agent can be the reason why you do pick up a great property at a bargain price.

In my experience the Three D's ( I include Depression as a fourth ) apply as much to the agent representing the buyer as well as the vendor .....

We bought one place in rocky and it took about three weeks of ringing before anyone answered the phone..... Arranged to see one property but when we got there it had sold ( it hadn't but that's another story ...:)
Asked if they had any other places for sale, but no.

Me What about this one in the window...?

Agent Ah , that one , yes that's still for sale.

Me. How long has it been on the market ?

Agent A couple of months.

Me . Have you had any offers?

Agent. No

Me. How many people have seen it?

Agent.. Havn't taken anyone around yet .....

That was our best buy in Rocky, and the one that had " already sold " was another good one.

See Change

Jas said:
Find out the name of the principal. Call and ask for him by name. Then use him as a normal agent.

that i belive is the best couse of action and also explain the reasons why you dont want to deal with that agent. it will get him into a bit of trouble from his boss but it will also help him. i am aslo an agent and every one is nice to your face so he may not even be aware of what he is doing and until it is brought to his attension he will not be able to change it. then just deal with the principal

wayne mckail

roy weston
cutten bennett

ps unless it is me Heeheeeheeee!!!

ralph wiggum said:
I was troubled that the agent would receive the commission for the sale, when they obviously didn't deserve it.

My understanding is that when a vendor lists with a REA, there are two parts of the commission - the listing fee and the sales fee. Depending on the structure of the Agency, this particular sales agent would get the listing fee commission but if another agent sold the property then they would get the sales commission.

Can a forum member REA please clarify this for me (it may only be specific to the A.C.T. and it was a couple of years ago). :cool:

Steve KKK said:
My understanding is that when a vendor lists with a REA, there are two parts of the commission - the listing fee and the sales fee. Depending on the structure of the Agency, this particular sales agent would get the listing fee commission but if another agent sold the property then they would get the sales commission.

Can a forum member REA please clarify this for me (it may only be specific to the A.C.T. and it was a couple of years ago). :cool:

hi steve

in WA that is correct the commission is split into 2 portions if it is a REA in the same office the it could be split 50/50 and if the REA is from a different office they will be granted a conj rate and it will be a percentage of the sale price. which is not as much as the in office commission

regards

wayne mckail
sales consultant
roy weston cutten bennett

Hi Lissy

Good question.

I'd try and find out who all the salespeople in the agency are and see if there's one you like the look of. Go and talk to the principal and tell him/her your concerns. Maybe you'd even prefer to deal with a female, if so, ask to see one if available.

Dare I admit this on a public forum?? Some of the best sales people are female. Actually, from my observations and definitely only IMHO, female salespeople are usually really good or really bad. :p I think part of it is that a lot of female buyers prefer to deal with them as they can be less intimidating and see things from a woman's perspective. (I'm going to get myself in REALLLLLL trouble here, but if the saleswoman is good lQQking, a lot of the male species prefer to deal with them too. :rolleyes: :cool: )

As far as commissions go, there are actually three parts to it.

The agency usually retains 60% leaving 40% to the salespeople. Most agencies split the 40% in half giving the listing saleperson 20% and the selling salesperson 20%. When a saleman tells you he's splitting the commission 50/50 with another saleman, that's what he'd be referring too.

The company I work for does it a little differently. The listing saleperson gets 25% and the selling saleperson gets 15%. Our management takes the view that the listing salesman usually does most of the work and should be rewarded accordingly and personally, I agree with their views.

So, our median price in this part of the world is around $160,000 or so (yes, there are still houses selling for this and lower!! :p ) with the commission being close enough to $7,000. Breaking that down, the company retains $4,200 with the remainding $2,800 being divided between the salepeople, $1,400 each in the case of a 20% / 20% split or $1,750 / $1,050 in our 25% / 15% scenerio. If a saleman sells his own listing he gets the full $2,800.

(I've just realised that the $7,000 includes GST so the commission is actually in four parts. :eek: Take $636 off first and then divide it up.)

I have heard of some companies that designate 50% to the salepeople although I don't believe there are too many. Once again, although I'd like a bigger piece of the pie, I agree with the company retaining 60% as they're responsible for overheads etc. and they're the one taking all the risk so should also be rewarded accordingly. And if the company isn't making a profit, we're all going to be looking for other jobs, so it's in our best interest to make sure they do well too.

Cheers :cool:

Lissy,

Don't worry about complicating it with the Principal, if he is the listing agent you want him on your side when he talks to the owners, not having just been given a blast from the Principal. Just find another salesperson in the office and ring them direct and say you want to inspect the property etc.

SOS - You make a good point. I find female agents the best, mainly for 2 reasons. They multi-task better than males plus they empathise better. When a man meets a potential client with a new baby they just say "Congrats, nice baby"...women want to know names, size, weight etc etc. They tend to build repore quicker. This said, I find women agents find it harder to focus as they often are required to look after kids, hubby, housework etc etc also. Men are still considered the "experts" in house lingo, whether it's true or not. What I have worked out is it's eventually irrelevant, just comes down to who has the right motivation and attitude. Same goes for age.

Don't fret over it Lissy, just get in and buy it if you want to. :D

Kev

www.kevinhockey.com.au

Back