Charged for Trades Apprentice

Hi

Bit miffed. Had some aircon guys out to new office to do some AC duct work repairs, relocations, and service.

I was advised it was a 2 person job and took 4 hours. They also brought an apprentice who hung around, watched, fetched the occasional bit of gear/tool for the 2 techs.

Got the invoice and was charged for 2 x AC technicians + trade apprentice at 50% rate.

Am I justified in challenging the apprentice charge? At no point prior was I advised they were bringing an apprentice, or when they arrived that he was being charged out at 50% of full rate to stand around and learn on the job courtesy of my bank balance.

In my business I have junior IT staff on occasion and I take them out to client sites to learn but unless they are actually doing meaningful work, the client doesnt get charged as I see their training and development as a cost I bear not the customer.

No I studied after high school and delivered pizzas and assembled computers for people to pay my own way until I was able to join the workforce. Bzzt next.

$50 an hour for a trade apprentice to hand tape and ductwork and tools from the ground to the guy on the ladder, good value? I dont think so. One tech plus an apprentice to help pull duct throughg a drop ceiling, not a problem, it was a 2 man job for this reason (as the AC company advised up front). But it was not a 3 man job, never was, and thats what I am being charged for.

FFS Moneybags pay the bill!

You got 50% discount so it was probably saving you as you wouldnt want one of the tech guys on $100+/hr walking outside to get tools would you?
Hold on a minute! He was told it was a two man job. So, it's only fair and reasonable that he pay for two men.
I was advised it was a 2 person job and took 4 hours. They also brought an apprentice who hung around, watched, fetched the occasional bit of gear/tool for the 2 techs.

Got the invoice and was charged for 2 x AC technicians + trade apprentice at 50% rate.
I'd be annoyed too!
Am I justified in challenging the apprentice charge? At no point prior was I advised they were bringing an apprentice, or when they arrived that he was being charged out at 50% of full rate to stand around and learn on the job courtesy of my bank balance.

Yep, I'd challenge it. You were quoted 2 men for 4 hours, so you should pay for 2 men for 4 hours. How they run their business is up to them. If they want to bring out 10 apprentices they can do so, but they should still only charge what was quoted.

Hi

Well you see this paragraph above could be construed differently.

Starts out as being "advised", which I guess could be interpreted as a "quote"

The word "took" is not what I would put in a quote to a customer.

"they also brought..." is also not part of any quote that I can see.

So lets get the facts as they should be first before going off at the contractor and siding with the customer who always seems to be right.

What are the exact facts of this matter Dave?

So lets get the facts as they should be first before going off at the contractor and siding with the customer who always seems to be right.

What are the exact facts of this matter Dave?

Since you seem to be making me out like some truth twisting mongrel, here we go.

Asked aircon company to look at AC in our new commercial premises. They had been out prior to quote some AC units for server room and they noted that the ductwork in office area was torn, some areas needed repair, and vent location not ideal given the reconfiguration of walls we did (ceiling grid was open due to fitout works).

They advise its a 2 man job due to needing to replace duct work in the drop ceiling as it needs someone to feed and lift it, we say go ahead and do it. Works on a T&M basis for which we are given the hourly rate, no mention of apprentices coming.

Along come the 2 techs + an apprentice. Apprentice does not much apart from watch and hand ductwork and tape to the guys on ladders in the drop ceiling.

Bill arrives for 2 x techs + trade apprentice labour + parts.

Is that clear enough?

Since you seem to be making me out like some truth twisting mongrel, here we go.

Asked aircon company to look at AC in our new commercial premises. They had been out prior to quote some AC units for server room and they noted that the ductwork in office area was torn, some areas needed repair, and vent location not ideal given the reconfiguration of walls we did (ceiling grid was open due to fitout works).

They advise its a 2 man job due to needing to replace duct work in the drop ceiling as it needs someone to feed and lift it, we say go ahead and do it. Works on a T&M basis for which we are given the hourly rate, no mention of apprentices coming.

Along come the 2 techs + an apprentice. Apprentice does not much apart from watch and hand ductwork and tape to the guys on ladders in the drop ceiling.

Bill arrives for 2 x techs + trade apprentice labour + parts.

Is that clear enough?

Just wondering what the total price was to do the refit, A 6m length of flexible duct 250mm-i--s-, is around $30.00,everything within the grid would have been reused, the high cost would have been labour just tell them your only prepared too pay for 2 people..

DaveM, so you never charged an extra couple buck$ or hour$ on a job?

pinkboy

No. Job start to job finish + travel. Or a fixed price engagement where I include all my labour costs as part of the scope of works and take the risk of overruns... aka a quote.

If I went to a client to do some work on a T&M basis and brought a junior guy along to watch and hand me screwdrivers, and then tried to invoice the client for 50% of my hourly rate for him, they would tell me to get stuffed.

Back