Charged for Trades Apprentice

I know PB... but the question would have been suggested at some point... "BUT EVERYONE DOES IT, SURELY YOU DO TOO AND THAT MAKES IT ALL OK??!!?!?!?!?!?!" :p

It shouldn't matter whether there were 1 or 100 there to do the job, if they quote a price to do a job that's the price, who quotes a job per person?

You have a verbal contract for 2 men, but got 2 1/2. Challenge the bill - they can either agree or disagree to reducing the price. Then you can reassess.

Have been using the AC company for a number of years without issues as they have always been fair and good work, didnt have the need to go shopping around

And if they disagree?

If they disagree, Dave doesn't give them any more business. We had been using a plumber for probably over ten years and suddenly, he didn't seem interested in our PPOR bathroom job. I asked him to come and look at the job as we wanted to rip out the old bathroom. He never got back to me. I still have no idea what happened, but he had told me he had some business issues to deal with.

We never got quotes from him either as we'd used him so often but his prices had been getting high and we had started asking ourselves "are we being taken advantage of?" so perhaps his issues ultimately forcing us to find another plumber did us a favour. We've found a great one.

Also - what was the total cost? (i.e. and was that still a semi-reasonable cost for an installation?).

FWIW I'd challenge it. No disrespect to the poor boy, but it wasn't part of the verbal contract (as Terry says).

I had 2 plumbers recently come and do some work on my place. The night before I was told that they were bringing along an apprentice. However they said they would take the apprentice's wage out of their hourly rate.

I was pretty happy with that.

Complete BS what these aircon mob are trying to pull. They probably pay their apprentice $6hr and they are trying to charge him out at $50 without first consulting you.... wow.

Tell the Plumbing Company in writing why you are dissatisfied and then only pay the quoted amount. Then let the issue go and move on.

The Plumbing Company then needs to decide whether they want your continued custom, or whether they want to chase you for the few extra bucks that is disputed.

The Plumbing Company's next action should pretty well determine the outcome and any future relationship.

That is, they can either pursue you for the disputable dollars and guarantee losing you and possibly all your associates as clients.

Or they can acknowledge that they have erred and apologize for their actions which will not only resolve the issue but should enhance their relationship with you as a client.

just refuse it and detail why. just because someone dreams up an invoice and sends it to you doesn't mean you have to pay it, I find it quite odd this mentality that 'we send invoice, you must pay'

Geez, move some duct, service, relocate....yep defiantly a two man job.....one good tech and his apprentice.

Deduct one techs labour from the bill and pay only for the apprentice and one tech.

Since you seem to be making me out like some truth twisting mongrel, here we go.
that is how you choose to interpret my question. However you were not clear in the Original post as to the circumstances.

Asked aircon company to look at AC in our new commercial premises. They had been out prior to quote some AC units for server room and they noted that the ductwork in office area was torn, some areas needed repair, and vent location not ideal given the reconfiguration of walls we did (ceiling grid was open due to fitout works).

They advise its a 2 man job due to needing to replace duct work in the drop ceiling as it needs someone to feed and lift it, we say go ahead and do it. Works on a T&M basis for which we are given the hourly rate, no mention of apprentices coming.

Along come the 2 techs + an apprentice. Apprentice does not much apart from watch and hand ductwork and tape to the guys on ladders in the drop ceiling.

Bill arrives for 2 x techs + trade apprentice labour + parts.

Is that clear enough?

Did you get that in writing?
You were "advised" not quoted.
Your only recourse is to dispute the invoice and threaten to use another service provider.

Why don't you just call the boss and discuss it with him in a reasonable manner?

May be as simple as a disconnect between who did the quote and who wrote the invoice up.

No point making things bigger in your head until they need to be.

I would contest it too Dave. A quotation or proposal should be kept to, I'm sick of trades providing a quotation and then invoicing a higher amount.

Did you get that in writing?
You were "advised" not quoted

Them: "Its a two man job, we will send 2 techs, the rate is $100 + GST ph per person + parts needed"
Me: "OK thats fine please proceed"

They then send 3 people of their own decision and charge $250 per hour instead of $200 per hour

I fail to see how I am in the wrong here? Verbal agreements are just as binding as written. Pulling the old "oh but it wasnt a written quote so I can just make up whatever I want after the fact" line isnt how people should do business.

Did 3 get it done any quicker than two? I have known my ac company for over 20 years. If there's any issue or I need information/misguidance I call the MD.

Back