Charity Work

Hi Everyone

One of my goals (amongst many others) for 2008 is to give something to the community.

A friend who recently donated a TV to a womens refuge was shocked that most of them were walking around in severly worn clothes that had holes.

Most of these women came from voilent houses and they are unable to take anything with them when they leave (they have to sneak out) Because of the abuse, they have isolated themselves and usually they have no support left from friends and family.

They have made some wrong choices in their life and ended up in a bad place.

In Perth, we are sending out emails to all our friends who in turn are forwarding them around, we are asking for clothes and nick nack donations (books, inspiration cds) so these women can at least feel half decent about themselves.

I was just thinking that maybe a few people could organise something similar in other states.

There are 15 refuges in Perth...

What goes around, comes around!

Hello Rainshadow

That would be wonderful, and yes, I thought today that childrens stuff would be a good idea too. The poor things are the ones caught in the cross fire without any choice.

Well my 2 friends and I are going to do a drive around collection middle of February. I can pick the stuff up, otherwise I work in West Perth.

Or maybe I need to think of a better idea hmmm it's amazing how generous people are.

You are very kind, please PM me.

that's great

a friend from Melbourne told a story during one of those "if I won lotto, I'd donate to charity" conversations

that a father visited his son in hospital, walking out he noticed one room (shared room), didn't hae a tv (also shared)

he asked why & got told that they were donated, but ended up being one short (can't remember what type of ward this was)

next day he came to visit his son, with a tv - now that tv would keep 100's or more kids entertained while they're sick for a long while... no lotto amounts required, just compassion

We do wardrobe clean-outs about every 6 months, and drop off bags of clothes to the local charity houses.

Over here the main one is called the Goodwill - pretty much like the Salvo's.

We also drop food at the local outreach centre.

It's not hard to help.

What I reckon would be good would be an Aussie wide Charity formed from the forumites - a branch in each State.

Hi Everyone

One of my goals (amongst many others) for 2008 is to give something to the community.

A friend who recently donated a TV to a womens refuge was shocked that most of them were walking around in severly worn clothes that had holes.

Most of these women came from voilent houses and they are unable to take anything with them when they leave (they have to sneak out) Because of the abuse, they have isolated themselves and usually they have no support left from friends and family.

They have made some wrong choices in their life and ended up in a bad place.

In Perth, we are sending out emails to all our friends who in turn are forwarding them around, we are asking for clothes and nick nack donations (books, inspiration cds) so these women can at least feel half decent about themselves.

I was just thinking that maybe a few people could organise something similar in other states.

There are 15 refuges in Perth...

What goes around, comes around!
Dear Francesca,

As someone who works in (one of several) womens' refuges in Victoria, I can tell you, your generosity is MOST appreciated by the residents of these shelters.

I retired from the "paid workforce" many years ago, having established financial independence, and desparately wanting to "give something back". My (unpaid) work has extended since then, taking things to the streets (literally!!) working with homeless / street kids (and adults).

My advice to anyone wanting to donate items (be it clothing, food, etc) to stick to reputable organisations such as St Vinnies, Red Cross, Salvos etc (there are lots of sharks running under the false guise of "charity")!!! :mad:

Unfortunately with "refuges" you can't just drop stuff off, as you can with say your local Salvos or Vinnies store, but there are many organisations that have access to these places and WILL make sure that your goods reach the residents.

Or if you know someone personally who works with / in a refuge [cough] :rolleyes: I'm sure if you asked them nicely, they could take the stuff to the women directly. :D

God Bless you for your kind thoughts Francesca, your post has made my day. After coming home from being out all night, and not having slept for nearly 2 straight days, your words have filled my (sleepless) heart with joy; THANK YOU. :)

Cheers,
Jo

WOW Monopoly

You are an amazing women, one day when I set myself financiall free, I will invest alot of my time helping people less fortune who have made some bad decisions in their life.

My friend has gotten us into two refuges and we are actually taking the stuff to the women and giving it to them direct.

I dont often share with people however, I came from a background similar to these people and my mother left my father in the middle of the night, I am one of four girls. My poor mother left with nothing, not a cent, a car, clothes. Her family and friends had disowned her many years before.

This amazing women worked night and day to get us out of government housing and paid her house off in 4 years when interest rates were 18% She worked so hard because she wanted to teach us what is and isnt acceptable and that we can achieve anything we set our mind too

I was raised not being allowed to say the word 'cant' mum always said there is no such word. Even today, I get alot of advice from her, when everyone else is being negative about my investing ect she tells me to have no fear and reach for the stars.

This women has given me amazing inspiration and I have my mindset and goals because she drove me to become what she would have become if she made better decisions. She drove me to the front of a house at 20 and put the deposit in my hand and made me buy it :>

I cannot wait to start doing more work for this sort of charity.

There is some stuff going on at local/Regional/Shire levels too Francesca...emergency housing availability, furniture, books, music, clothing, food, education workshops for counselling/personal growth, financial education, fostering, farm stays, pet therapy, extra teaching/tutorials available for the kids that get behind kinda, leadership programs, mentoring, scholarships...

It can be from groups set up (like you, and me, we are the kids from these kinda backgrounds), and the kindness and opportunity shown to us we tend to like to offer back-when we become adults, get cracking and on our own legs :))....or sometimes it's from religious groups, or educational groups, (eg my nephew is one of many a teacher who donates time, skill and mentoring for kids that may not get the opportunities of others). Sports groups are fantastic around here too, eg little scholarship programs for boys that might need footy boots, girls playing hockey etc...

It's a hundred little things at (what seems a) microscopic level that, (as you and I know) means a hellova lot to kids. It is very inspirational stuff...and it remains with you forever.

I donate used clothing and unwanted items to charity but I give my time.

I run a textiles program as a volunteer. Meet weekly at a Rehabilitation Centre with residents in long care (brain injury, cerebral palsy, stroke).

Please pm me if you can join me - Ryde area (Sydney). Only 1 hour per week in the afternoon. Although the centre has a pool of volunteers we need someone who has a bit of an interest in quilting/sewing.

My 6 ft 3 frankensewer does his best but is a fill-in until he can find someone else.

From my experience with Vinnies

Try not to donate anything that is to far out of fashion or is really worn out or broken if you give something to a charity and they have to throw it out it costs them money.

A lot of people who donate seem to think that these places will take anything but remember they ussually sell these items to pay for the support they provide to the needy such as food, electricity, rent, appliances, beds, personal emergencies etc etc etc.

I generally clean our the wardrobes regularly, and have always put anything in, even old t-shirts I have painted in and old odd socks, because I was told that clothing that is too old or damaged is put aside and sold to painters as bags of rags.

Wonder whether this is true or should I be more fussy about what I put in.

Hi Wylie

It is kind of true, the women at these refuge's have clothes that are extremely worn and have holes... we want to actually give them some decent stuff to walk around in.

I know clothes are the least of their worried however, up uplift them a little and make them feel better about themselves.

Sorry Francesca, I think I have confused things. I regularly put things in the local Lifeline or Vinnies bin and my understanding is that they go to a huge warehouse and are sorted there.

I always put in everything, even old worn things, and odd socks, because at the big warehouse I was told all that sort of stuff that cannot be worn again goes into bags of rags that are sold to painters. I notice Bunnings even sell bags of rags in the paint section.

If I was donating to a refuge, I wouldn't insult them by giving raggy stuff, but would be more than happy to drop off clothing there rather than the usual donation bins, but it seems it may be not the thing to do.

I sent a PM about a TV that I have to donate, and would love to know if there is a refuge on the southside Brisbane that needs a midsize working tv.

A womens refuge - you know, that's a much better idea than your local good sammys bin.

My business donates to Oxfam Australia monthly and double at christmas time.

But I think I prefer this idea more. Can you PM me with some details?

Hi Blue Card

That would be amazing if we could support them on an ongoing basis.

This was going to be an ad hoc venture however, I have decided that I am going to dedicate constant time and attention to this cause.

I agree, there are many people helping/supporting other chartieis and refuges seem to get no attention.

I will be in touch!

Thank you so much

Through my work I have an association with a womens refuge (we just did a HUGE Christmas gift collection for the mothers & the kids) on the Gold Coast so if anyone would like to donate anything, please pm me & we'll work something out.
Cheers
Stella

I know there is a charity here in Bris or QLD that organises for donations of working women's unwanted business suits so that women who have left violent homes etc are able to dress appropriately for job interviews.

I think this is a great idea as many employers judge interviewees (esp females) by how they look and it is very expensive to even buy a half decent suit these days.

I cannot wait to start doing more work for this sort of charity.
Thanks for the compliment Francesca; you're too kind. :) Tis you that is "amazing" to have lived through so much, and be so determined to give something back. All too often, those that have suffered give up, or don't care enough (about themselves, let alone others) to fight back. I am so pleased to read that you want to help; God Bless!!! :D

In answer to your charity question...

Setting up a charity is not an easy feat. Aside from the time and administrative aspect, there are legalities involved. However that does not stop anyone (individual or group) from taking up a collection and donating it to an organisation dedicated to helping the needy. I think you will serve those you wish to reach better if you either:

a. Leave it to those who have the resources (time, money, people) to distribute the goods, or

b. Take the goods directly to those you wish to help

There are MANY organisations dedicated to helping people; the list is endless.

My advice....take your time, do your research and be selective (choose carefully).

But above all, keep that flame glowing, and the world will be a better place; thanks Francesca. :)

Thanks Monopoly for your kind words.

I want to to give everything directly to the women so that no one else has a chance to take a cut.

How would I do this with cash donations?

Back