Charlotte Dawson's twitter bullying

We occasionally get a few trolls on SS, but it's manageable... but seriously this world is full of sick people wasting their time and bullying another person this way. It's hard to believe how someone can post any comments to another human being.

For those of you unaware of what's going on, just have a quick look at Dawson't twitter messages:

http://twitter.com/MsCharlotteD

The other problem I see is that Dawson didn't ignore them. She fed them, she encouraged them to increase their bullying campaign. But I guess in this situation is hard to ignore them.

It's also hard to track these culprits. One can create a dummy account and use it only once, and keep on creating them etc.

What's the solution here to stop this?

The solution is do not feed the trolls. Ignore them. Trying to clamp down on them results in The Great Big Firewall idea (cough Senator Conroy) which is never a good thing for freedom of speech. Government cannot and should not regulate this kind of behaviour because it is too big and inefficient to do so.

The solution is do not feed the trolls. Ignore them. Trying to clamp down on them results in The Great Big Firewall idea (cough Senator Conroy) which is never a good thing for freedom of speech. Government cannot and should not regulate this kind of behaviour because it is too big and inefficient to do so.

Yep.

It's pathetic, but engaging them in conversation is the worst thing to do.

Getting affected by it to that extent and engaging in it to that extent is not exactly wise. It's like going up the guy going "what are you lookin at" in the bar and repeating it back to him.

I heard this being discussed on the radio and didn't really pay much attention, but thought I heard they did identify at least one who ?works at a University and was stood down.

Or have I got my stories mixed up?

It is terrible, but what I think is absolutely horrible is when the victims are sensitive youngsters, who don't have the understanding or the coping skills needed to deal with it.

I think that is very common and very concerning, because of the more damaging consequenses the behaviour poses.

I heard this being discussed on the radio and didn't really pay much attention, but thought I heard they did identify at least one who ?works at a University and was stood down.

Or have I got my stories mixed up?

That was the first half. After this was reported, the attacks from other trolls become more intense.

I read about this yesterday, and it's just staggering to me. What is wrong with these people? Why would someone send messages to a person they don't know, telling them to go hang themselves?

I don't get it.

Yep.

It's pathetic, but engaging them in conversation is the worst thing to do.

Getting affected by it to that extent and engaging in it to that extent is not exactly wise. It's like going up the guy going "what are you lookin at" in the bar and repeating it back to him.

I agree with this but also I think when someone is already in an emotionally fragile state it can be hard to just ignore and walk away. I've seen a lot of it on parenting forums I am on.

Twitter is used by 3 types of people: spammers, celebs and trolls.

There's no reason for anyone else to use it or care about anything posted there.

Google+ and Facebook, for all their faults, are much nicer and safer platforms to use.

I don't have an account and never will.

Just the term "twitter" is like fingernails down a blackboard to me.

So, turn the thing off; there's the solution.

lol BV, typical of you ;). I don't think this is the solution. If she cancels this, she may get messages on her mobile. The only solution I see is to ignore them.

There's no reason for anyone else to use it or care about anything posted there.

Google+ and Facebook, for all their faults, are much nicer and safer platforms to use.

SM, I am on Twitter. Not that I tweet. I tend to follow politicians, some of the more senior journalists, banks, some international economists & newspapers and sporting clubs that I follow.

This year, because of my girlfriend's obsession for MasterChef, I endured it as well. The only thing that got me through was watching the many humorous tweets about the show as it was on.

Like most things, it can be used for good. Unfortunately, some people, do not utilise normal social graces/etiquette online, or just don't have any.

Although, I did not realise, until this last week, that online bullying is actually a crime :eek:

I was reading ( sorry don't have reference)that the vast majority of people now have face book & less but still many have Twitter acs Article went on to state that authorities now are inclined to view anyone who does not have a face book ac with suspicion.The old "they must have sommit to hide etc". Blimey thought that was a bit extreme. I have neither. I really would not have time to contribute to either & besides iI do not think my doings are interesting enough for anyone much to read . I try to contribute here with just posts which I think might be of help having experienced a situation about which someone asks in my long life of property inv & reno

I use Twitter. What category do I fall into?

I have Twitter and FB accounts, and I use both, but neither heavily.

Facebook is good for seeing photos my daughters post from overseas, and from catching up with old friends- though at my age there's not a high percentage of them with accounts.

Twitter is more my style- quick remarks off the cuff, with a very short shelf life. I've made real life friends through Twitter, and even had remarks I've made quoted in the Canberra Times. My newest employee was through a Twitter contact.

We occasionally get a few trolls on SS, but it's manageable... but seriously this world is full of sick people wasting their time and bullying another person this way. It's hard to believe how someone can post any comments to another human being.

For those of you unaware of what's going on, just have a quick look at Dawson't twitter messages:

http://twitter.com/MsCharlotteD

The other problem I see is that Dawson didn't ignore them. She fed them, she encouraged them to increase their bullying campaign. But I guess in this situation is hard to ignore them.

It's also hard to track these culprits. One can create a dummy account and use it only once, and keep on creating them etc.

What's the solution here to stop this?

IMHO the only way to reduce it would be to require that Tweeters sign up to an account with their real names and verified contact details so they can be held accountable for any alleged harassment.
Ain't gonna happen though.
I don't have twitter but you should hear some of the things that I say to the television sometimes. It's a good thing those heat of the moment outbursts don't get published. :eek:

That's a pretty narrow minded view.

I use it mainly as a news filter, following those I know will post stories that interest me. Also many breaking stories and economic/finance numbers will hit Twitter before MSM has time to put a story together and post it.

Back