Chatroom.... not so 'chatty'

:( What has happened to the Chatroom of late? It was once a great little chat area..... has everyone turned to Skype, Messenger etc...???

Maybe I have missed something here.......:rolleyes:

:( What has happened to the Chatroom of late? It was once a great little chat area..... has everyone turned to Skype, Messenger etc...???

I used to hang out in the IRC chatroom all the time when the work I was doing was "bitsy" (ie a little bit of this and a little bit of that). In recent years the nature of my work has changed a lot and I'm doing a lot more project work which sees me focusing on complex tasks for long periods at a time - which doesn't lend itself to "chatting" much.

I even decommissioned my chat stats bot a few years back - wasn't enough traffic to justify the effort.

I do make it in there occasionally, but there's not usually that much happening, just the regular lurkers ... lurking.

If you want to chat, you need to hang around until someone wants to chat to you.

Perhaps we need to start scheduling regular chat times each week when people know that others will be in the chatroom ready to talk and not just lurk?

There's a chatroom? :confused:

Has been there since almost the very beginning - originally implemented as part of the previous generation of forum software we used before I took over as administrator.

The link is in the navigation bar at the top of the page ... near the right-hand end ... just to the left of "Log Out" !!

attachment.php

Here is some more info in the FAQ as well: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/faq.php?faq=chat_faq

Attachments

• chatroom.png
    chatroom.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 261
Has been there since almost the very beginning - originally implemented as part of the previous generation of forum software we used before I took over as administrator.
Saw the link up top, wrote it off as some kind of java in-browser boringness not worth looking at.

You wouldn't happen to have something as mundane as a server address and channel for us old-skool irc lurking types who use mirc or xchat?

Saw the link up top, wrote it off as some kind of java in-browser boringness not worth looking at.

You wouldn't happen to have something as mundane as a server address and channel for us old-skool irc lurking types who use mirc or xchat?

Original version was java in-browser, and have recently implemented a mibbit widget (see "new non-java chat" link in the Chatroom menu), which is surprisingly good.

Alternatively, mIRC instructions are here: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/faq.php?faq=chat_faq (possibly a bit obsolete now though? ... this was written years ago).

Anyway, you can find the Somersoft chatroom at #ipchat on the Blitzed IRC network

Back