cheap car hire

Hi guys
I'm going to brissy this weekend - does anyone know of a cheap (but reputable) car hire company? Work has always organised this for me previously so I'm a tad clueless (pity I can't get work to organise this one ;) ).

I have learnt something about cheap airfares now - so I'm getting better. :D

TIA
Amanda

We have used the website http://www.cairnsdirect.com.au/ a couple of times. They source cars from various car rental companies to find you the cheapest prices. They also have a lower excess than most of the big companies (around $770 unless you pay extra to reduce it). They usually like for you to book a few days in advance, but if you call they will normally be able to find you something on that day.

By the way, I have nothing to do with this company, it was just someone we found whilst in Cairns and used again in Brissy.

When I was in Brissy I saw a place which hired out scooters. You don't need a licence, and they give you a lesson. If you're OK with that form of transport, it would save you a lot.

Ecogirl said:
Hi guys
I'm going to brissy this weekend - does anyone know of a cheap (but reputable) car hire company? Work has always organised this for me previously so I'm a tad clueless (pity I can't get work to organise this one ;) ).

I have learnt something about cheap airfares now - so I'm getting better. :D

TIA
Amanda
I've used Advantage for longer trips to Bris $33 a day for small car - they'll pick you up from airport. For 1 day trips I just use a $55 avis,thrify etc at the airport. Use your NRMA membership or boarding card for a discount.

geoffw said:
When I was in Brissy I saw a place which hired out scooters. You don't need a licence, and they give you a lesson. If you're OK with that form of transport, it would save you a lot.

I'll need one with a side car to carry my suitcase and pillow. :D :D
Ecogirl

I agree with Bayswater Rentals. My brother put me on to Bayswater Rentals in William St. Sydney. From memory think they only have Toyotas. It is usually cheaper to book a rental car in Europe for collection in Sydney rather than waiting to book on arrival in Sydney.

However, I got tired of constantly being upgraded from a small car (which I ordered) to a tank (which I didn't want) at no extra cost. Bayswater rentals proved to have competitive prices as well.

Ciao

AnnE :) :) :)

Whatever you do, don't go cheap and use a Rent-a-bomb mob like I did once, to save money :D

The little red car I had needed to have the choke out full throttle for at least 10 mins after starting it up and even then, it stalled at interesting intersections in peak morning traffic, like Creek and Old Cleveland Rds. Got abused a lot by testy commuters, sweated in the non a/c atmosphere and swore black and blue not to take the cheap option again. Mind you, it did only cost me $20 a day, so what right did I have to complain too much?!!

I have used Abel Rental Cars in Brisbane. They are near the airport, but not in the airport, so they are able (no pun intended) to keep their costs down. They do airport pick up and drop off at no extra charge. They were not open on the public holiday when I needed to drop the car off, but there is a secure car park near by where I left the car and was then given a ride to the airport.

Regards,
Chris.

Hi all,

If anyone is planning on travelling long distances, this site is pretty good. Basically, so that rentals can get to where they are needed, you can pay as low as $1 a day!! No joke, check the site (hit the "HOT DEALS" link at the top). They just give you a timeframe for when the car/bus/4WD/campervan needs to be in a certain location. Can even get links to get back to your origin!!

http://www.standbycars.com.au/

Dos

Back