Cheap front fence

May be selling our ppor soon - maybe even as early as on the market next week - had one of the top local real estate agents out for a pre-dinner wine last night and a look thru the house with reno plans (pre-sent) in hand so that he could advise on what we should do to get max value for money.

Should we do reno? Should we do sections of reno? Should we do nothing?

Answer was - if you do the reno you won't get any further profit than if you sell as is ... but replace the sagging brushbox front fence and gate, remove that gastly dolphin picture up in the gable (that I can't stand but needed to hire a cherry picker to get it down so it's just stayed) and finish painting the side of the garage.

All three are pretty simple - but not sure what to do with the front fence. Just want to do some that looks okay but is cheap. Colourbond is out being a front fence. Need something solid-ish for privacy as the front yard is "the yard".

Any cheap suggestions? Painted blueboard on posts/rails? New brushbox? Timber slats?

Just my 2c.

Paint the round dolphin the same colour as your roof - that way you'll have a red/pink spot in the front gable, which is a bit more generic. Or maybe just paint it blue? dunno.

Don't do the reno. Your place is obviously over $1M with ocean views etc, so I suspect any intending purchaser will want to put their own stamp on it (which may or may not include your current plans).
Yes, OK paint the side of the garage.

Brush fences never last - but they do have that resorty / beachy feel. Perhaps a fence that carries the theme you have from the double garages on the right, across. You know something that fits with that and also would seem to match the balcony on the first floor. I guess it would be a rendered brick - grey & white thing. (sorry that won't fit the criteria of "cheap").

Can you post a front picture of the house?

What is your target buyer demographic like?

What would the most expensive house in your street look like?

horizontal_steel_picket-catt2234.jpg

modern-wooden-fence.jpg

Seems to be all the rage here right now with the most stylish houses. Provides a 'screen', but also can see through just enough that you don't feel like you're in a prison. Can get it in steel, wood, plastic composite etc. The composite didn't cost that much iirc, and the sale point is that its a long wearing fence.

The house would be sold with DA approval - which includes ripping down the front fence and garage (amongst other things), replacing it with a block and rendered fence and moving the position of the front gate ... so don't want something expensive that just going to be ripped down, but it does need a major tidy up.

We live next door to the most expensive house in the street - actually it's the most expensive house in Newcastle until Mr Tinkler starts to build his.

Might just go something like the slat fence in the end. Quick to knock up, looks modern-ish, and not horribly expensive.

The biggest bang for my buck I have ever got was demolishing what remained of a Bessa block fence (the semi open type which formed patterns when joined) between pre formed concrete posts, and installing a half height paling fence with spacing of thickness of paling. The cost of the end posts to bolt to the concrete posts, the rails and palings ...$90. It looked good before painting, but even better when painted and tied in with the house. Think of something similar to Peters house on The Renovators, and similar paint colour. Blown away with 50 x return on investment, and proved to myself what "bang for buck" value meant.

I'm going to CJ's suggestion and putting in a 1.8m slat fence. At $2.80/m for pine, which I'll paint, it'll be a good option.

Hubby wants to put in a high picket fence ... nooooooooo ...

We're partway through building a cheap front fence - disturbingly I think we actually *own* the most expensive house on our street, there's only about a dozen houses on it and the only other house built this century isn't as nice as ours (and they painted it a rather vivid tan/terracotta with green trim).

We ended up getting a bunch of standard 90mm wooden posts and stringing 100mm weldmesh rural fence wire between them with a recycled old farm gate across the driveway. Its Very Country. Would have been a fraction of the price if we used stardroppers not posts but that would have looked horrible - the terracotta house over the road has this look as a side fence. The whole thing came to about $400.

I'm going to plant grapes on the fence - we live at the north end of a wine region and you see this construction fence with grapes on really often :)

But back on topic, you could also do that rather dated thing where you whack in your boring metal upright fenceposts and then sort of weave 25cm-ish wide modern fibercement weatherboard strips between them and secure them with tekscrews. Was all the rage quite a few years ago (my parents have a fence like this), and I reckon this will be your cheapest option by far - you can paint it any colour you want.

But back on topic, you could also do that rather dated thing where you whack in your boring metal upright fenceposts and then sort of weave 25cm-ish wide modern fibercement weatherboard strips between them and secure them with tekscrews. Was all the rage quite a few years ago (my parents have a fence like this), and I reckon this will be your cheapest option by far - you can paint it any colour you want.

Lizzie is wanting to maximise the appeal and sale price for her property... not single handedly start another bad 70's revolution. Next you'll be suggesting she wears paisley and big hair :D:p

Dont know about cheap but....this is my rather 'expensive' front fence:

Attachments

• Front Fence #2.jpg
    Front Fence #2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 793
  • Front Fence.jpg
    Front Fence.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 384
The cost of the end posts to bolt to the concrete posts, the rails and palings ...$90. It looked good before painting, but even better when painted and tied in with the house.
Can you please send any pics?

How about bambo or brush fencing lizzie?

Hi all,

very long time since I have posted!! We recently did the slat timber fence at one of ours and I got it done in a weekend and then spent the next staining it... Was easy and pretty cheap!

I would add my vote to cj's 2nd pic (horizontal hardwood decking boards stained with gaps) for niceness and wow or if you really want cheap go with wire in between posts and plant some semi mature hedge shrubs in between. Wont have the wow of the timber tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachside
The cost of the end posts to bolt to the concrete posts, the rails and palings ...$90. It looked good before painting, but even better when painted and tied in with the house.

Can you please send any pics?

Here are some I prepared earlier. It was either do this or completely demolish and rebuild with new footings - overcapitalising.

Attachments

• Copy of 2007-04-02 182.JPG
    Copy of 2007-04-02 182.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 292
  • Copy of IMGP5645 copy1.jpg
    Copy of IMGP5645 copy1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Copy of 2008 Xmas reno 128.jpg
    Copy of 2008 Xmas reno 128.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 330
Lizzie is wanting to maximise the appeal and sale price for her property... not single handedly start another bad 70's revolution. Next you'll be suggesting she wears paisley and big hair :D:p
And here's me thinking she wanted something cheap and temporary as it would get knocked down soon :confused:

Yes and no ... it will not be the solid rendered fence shown on the council plans as, if anyone wants to do the renovations if we sell, will need to remove the fence for access and demolishing of the garage.

So, we want something that looks good for sale and at 1.8m high for privacy (front yard is main "play area"), but will be removed with future renovations.

Current fence is a 1.5m high, tame-dog-secure, sagging and holey brushbox.

The concensus at home is now to throw up some brick pillars (painted) with horizontal slat panels in between - but doesn't like a full slat look. Methinks he's being pedantic.

Back