Cheap Wine thread

So sometimes I buy those restaruant coupons and they come with a bottle of wine, sure they are cheap, sometimes they are pretty horrible but for the most I think they are ok,

so whats your cheap wine recommendations/non, and price, (lets keep it real cheap)

It cant be cask wine, or a clean skin,

my likes and hates

hates:
Jacobs Creek $6

I recently bought a Shiraz clean skin, $7 per bottle, so excellent I went back & bought the last 8 bottles, turns out it was $23 retail price. Not much good for recommendation as it's all gone now & I can't remember the winery anyway, really should've written it down.

Can we stretch it to under $20?

- Shanahans 'The Old Dog' Shiraz $17
- Robert Oatley 'Signature' Shiraz $18
- Hently Farm 'The Marl' Shiraz $20
- The Perfect Storm Shiraz $15
- Yalumba 'Patchwork' Shiraz $15
- Serafino Shiraz $20
- Rockford Alicante Bouchet $20

I love living in wine country ... I very rarely pay more than $5 for a quality local wine ... one of the cellars was having a clearance of all their "lab" bottles last month. They have to keep back a certain amount of wine for two years just in case things need to be retested.

$4.50/each ... everything from champagne to merlot to cab sav to some super delicious white Italian varieties. All top drawer.

I near cleaned the place out.

De Bortolli - in case you're interested

$15 or less for a bottle of wine!!!
Yes they are available but seriously, why would you. I would rather a beer than cheap and nasty wine.

Starting price for anything half decent is $30
One of my favourites is Grant Burge Filsell.

I love living in wine country ... I very rarely pay more than $5 for a quality local wine ... one of the cellars was having a clearance of all their "lab" bottles last month. They have to keep back a certain amount of wine for two years just in case things need to be retested.

$4.50/each ... everything from champagne to merlot to cab sav to some super delicious white Italian varieties. All top drawer.

At $5 a bottle I doubt it is quality.

$15 or less for a bottle of wine!!!
Yes they are available but seriously, why would you. I would rather a beer than cheap and nasty wine.

Starting price for anything half decent is $30
One of my favourites is Grant Burge Filsell.

A close friend is a food and booze writer with impeccable credentials (authorized juror in world top 50 restaurant awards among a whole host of things) and he himself recommends a few bottles in a $15-20 range.

The level of snobbery out there at times is ridiculous. There is no need to spend big dollars in this country for decent wine if you're discerning

$5 is a different discussion, but there are decent ones in $15 range. Not amazing but how can they be at that price. Barrecas barbera comes to mind.

Cheap & Tasty

McWilliams Fruitwood (red or white) is about $5.00

Gossips Sweet Lips Moscato is around $4 to 5.00 also

You could also get a reasonable bottle of champers for around $9.00

TMNT, any preference in this range, white / red. Where do you get it and why do you like it.

I often try the cheapies to have a drink when cooking dinner - a dash into the dish I'm cooking and then well ...can't let the rest go off :D

I have had a look at the on line sites but seriously the prices they often go for are more than I can pick up at Dan Murphys as I drive past.

The best value (price and drinkability) I find at the moment is:
Lindeman's Bin 95 Sauvignon Blanc which varies from $4.85-$6.65 from week to week, more often the higher end. I buy at the lower price and at that it is hard to beat, at the upper end others would come into consideration.
Lindeman's Cawarra Shiraz Cabernet which normally sells at $4.75. Both sell much dearer in BWS/Liquorland and other bottle shops.

Gossips SSB did have some NZ grapes in it last vintage and good value at $3.79 but when the NZ grapes were removed it was no longer worth drinking. It was one of DM's best sellers.

Deacon Estate cab/sav has been a good drink in the past at around $7.60 but not stocked at my locals.

DeBortoli Sacred Hill cab/merlot was good last vintage (2 years older than current)and my preferred at that time but current vintage below par - hence prefer Lindemans Cawarra.

At around $10 at good discount outlets there are many good wines worth taking out to dinner which would sell in non discount bottle shops at 50-60% dearer, ie Moondah Brook Verdello and many quality NZ SauvBlancs will almost squeeze in here when on special - excluding Brancott (ex Montanna) which was one of the originals which put NZ on the map, but now yuk!

A close friend is a food and booze writer with impeccable credentials (authorized juror in world top 50 restaurant awards among a whole host of things) and he himself recommends a few bottles in a $15-20 range.QUOTE]

Hey Sanj, could you recommend a few of your friend's recommendations?

That's fantastic! Nicely cellared for you, and $5.

We start our move back to Newy in two weeks, can't wait to get out to vineyards again :)

For cheap wines I think Lindamens Shiraz or Cab Sav is good for that sub $10 last minute run to the bottlo.

A close friend is a food and booze writer with impeccable credentials (authorized juror in world top 50 restaurant awards among a whole host of things) and he himself recommends a few bottles in a $15-20 range.

The level of snobbery out there at times is ridiculous. There is no need to spend big dollars in this country for decent wine if you're discerning

$5 is a different discussion, but there are decent ones in $15 range. Not amazing but how can they be at that price. Barrecas barbera comes to mind.

Exactly,
id say 99.9% of people couldnt tell the difference between a $10 bottle and $50

its these sort of people who are quick to judge a bottle, its quality, its owner, based on the price tage

and yes, the level of snobbery is amazing, makes me laugh, when some cowboy who has no idea saying stuff like "oh I cant drink the 1998 vintage of this wine, I can only drink the 1997", when they could be drinking cat pee and cant tell teh differentce

and for the record, im one of the 99.9%

TMNT, any preference in this range, white / red. Where do you get it and why do you like it.
I quite like the Chardonny and the sparking for the rothbury
the reds I thought were average, but for $3.80 its in cask wine price terriort

You cant get them from dan murphys and are limitd to fosters and for restuarants and bars etc.

if you became friendly with your local bar/restaurant, they may be happy to sell you some regularly

PS I like the De bortoli range, good priced, not snobbish, and good quality (well for me), maybe true wine experts would disagree with the quality comment

count me into your 99.9% group. I get my wines from winemarket.com.au. Bought few nz pinot noirs for around $9 a bottle and they are ok (I think :confused:)

Exactly,
id say 99.9% of people couldnt tell the difference between a $10 bottle and $50

There are some ordinary $50 bottles out there.
But when you actually taste a REALLY good wine, it all makes sense. It's then hard to go back to the run of the mill stuff again.

There is only two types of wine...
"Yum" and "Yuk"

And they range in price.

Im one of the 99.9%.

I do like the Penfolds Bin range though I have no idea how much they cost. Somewhere around the $20 mark I think.

TMNT I disagree, but if you were to say $20 & $50 I would completely agree. I've struggled to find a decent $10 wine - $20 can find a whole heap.

Back