Cheapest and most comprehensive Landlord insurance?

Hi guys,

Which landlord insurance do u use? I used the calculators on AAMI, and CGU's website, and it's approx $1.2k a year?

cover's Rental default and tenant damage

Thanks,

I pay $497ish for the property in my name (due to multiple policies) and $587 for the property in my SMSF. Both building and landlord policies, both with NRMA.

qqqqa.png

Quite good, but it doesn't state the excess? going to look further for it,

Last edited:
Realise this will sound cynical... so apologies in front, i'm running on low sleep.

ideally insurance premiums are based on a few different factors and policies all vary in one way or another.

Is it the cheapest policy you seek, or the one with the best coverage as thats probably not the cheapest... as it can be hard to find one in the same, and what may work for one may not someone else...

It's good to have your building insurance and landlord's insurance in the one policy with one company.
I once had building insurance with one company and landlords insurance with another so when it came time to making a claim, they both tried to handball me back and forth between companies. To remedy that, I now have only one policy that covers both.

If you had building and landlord's insurance with the same company and then switched from e.g 1 year leases to holiday rentals, would you contact the company and expect to pay a different premium? Or would everything have to change?

I use the building and landlord's insurance offered by the bank I have the loan with. My reasoning (which may well be false reasoning) is that since the property is used to secure the loan, the bank would be more likely to honour my claims or pressure the underwriter to honour my claims to protect the security asset which they also have an interest in. I really don't know anything about insurance so this arrangement might not be any more beneficial than a non-bank insurer.

some questions: new to property investment

I am new to this forum and new to property investment, so please be kind and patient. There are a few questions i need to know before i engage an accountant. Here is my condition. I own a property in the ACT and still have a huge mortgage (about 250k). But I got a job and will move to Tassie soon. My questions are, forgive me if they sound silly,

1. I will rent out my property in the ACT, then rent a property in tasmania. Can i claim some tax out of my rent in Tassie?
2. I am reluctant to buy property in Tassie as i heard the capital growth is small there. But if I buy a property in tasmania, but rent it out for a while. Can i claim tax on the stamp duties/purchasing tax? How long should i rent that property out before I can live there, but still able to claim tax on stamp duties/tax?

Can any one suggest a smarter investing strategy?
Thanks

For people who have Landlord buildings cover, what is the use of having contents cover as well?

There are some that declare things like curtains, rug, appliances (dishwashers, aircon, heaters, etc) as contents not building.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back