China to blow up this year...

An interesting trend channel developing.....

20100813.gif

I'm back in Beijing.... I'm staying in a different hotel. Its on the 4th ring road in the east. There is parkland right next door, which is an unusual sight in Beijing.
So, I'm in a corner room, and I can see for miles and miles, cause the weather is clear and the sky is blue.......... thats an even more unusual sight!!
I cant see any major development happening anywhere around here... no sign of cranes etc.
just lots and lots and lots of cars. although yesterday in the newspaper they had an article that new car sales have stalled slightly in February.
Front page in the paper today is the shortage of workers, not just in the cities but also the rural areas. (I was discussing salaries with one of my team today, and I couldnt believe how low the salaries here are.)

My feeling is that China is still in a growth phase, but obviously the rate of growth decreases over time.

Pen

China property might collapse. China, however, won't collapse. But if it slows down, we will. Simple. Looking forward to my 2-month trip to a few Chinese cities in November. Might check out the real estate market while I'm over there.

Agree delta - china won't collapse.

There are many many companies going to china - been to the factories - seen portugese, english, south americans, americans - everyone trying to get a piece of the action - in terms of affordable labour and setup costs .Not to mention high end designer brands opening custom stores. Even bentley is trying to enter china.

One thing you have to realize, china has centuries of culture and have some of those most hardworking people in the world and many have a drive to succeed. This is something that cannot be broken so easily

I'm at Beijing airport now, heading to Thailand for the final leg of my trip. Not much opportunity to do any investigations into the property market this trip. But I was out near the 5th ring road today, in an industrial area, and there is lots of building development. (all commercial/ industrial). So, I think that is possibly the area of building which is booming at present... but I didnt get much of a sense this time of what is going on.... not like last time when I was driving around much more and spending lots of time chatting to locals while we were driving.
But you know you are coming to Beijing too often when you dont notice the chaotic driving anymore. It all seems quite normal now, and I no longer have to hold on to the door or the dashboard to steel myself when we are crossing intersections, with traffic coming from every direction!

The most common vehicle to have guns mounted on it if the film from Africa is a guide.

Turn on the news and you will see that most of the utes being driven in Libya are Hiluxes. Damn tough cars, made for harsh, hot conditions. I am told the late 80s models were the best. Can't see Aaron driving one......he works in an office!

Penny, you seem comfortable there. Are you ethnic Chinese (OK if you don't answer that) or do you at least speak the language?

Over the years, I got the impression that you have middle kingdom antecedents Sunfish. No? Or am I confusing you with the newbie Deltaberry?

Over the years, I got the impression that you have middle kingdom antecedents Sunfish. No? Or am I confusing you with the newbie Deltaberry?
My first name is English royalty, my second is from a Sunderland family of shipwrights and my last is a Scot variant of a common English name.

But they all seemed to marry Colleens (plus a Norwegan seaman) so I can claim to be Irish, at least on March, 17.

So no.

The newbie who's been around longer than you?

That is so, my learned friend. With over a thousand posts to your good name, you have been a busy boy indeed.

As you clatter away on your computer, I daresay the Partners must think "he is at it again, researching cases on Austlii, he never stops - this lad has potential" :D Careful now lest they find out.......hehe

Couldn't think of anything more menial and underpaid. Especially the so called top tiers, which I've had on occassions come across, usually waking up to an email they've left for me or circulated to a number of people at 1am the previous night.

Back