Cladding

I have a queensland cottage style home that is being renovated and was wondering what other options are out there to re clad the house. Other materials, different concepts or even materials borrowed from commercial buildings?

Just my opinion, but a qlder cottage must have timber weatherboard or chamferboard.. anything else would look horribly wrong.. like coke in a fine whisky :eek:

I'm curious to know why you want to re-clad the house. Is there a problem with the weatherboards now? Or are you wanting to modernise it?

We have a cottage that has had the front verandah's enclosed with sliding windows... very ugly indeed. One side is a third bedroom and the other is just a second little sitting area or study as you enter the front door.

If we de-uglify the house by opening up the front verandah, we lose the third bedroom, which devalues the rent we can ask. So we are thinking of "modernising" the house facade (maybe cladding with something different), moving the kitchen to this front section which will flow straight in to the living area, and gives us a nice sized third bedroom at the back (where the kitchen is now).

To do this we need to make it look like this is a 21st Century idea and not a 1960s verandah enclosure (which is what it looks like now).

There is a similar house locally where the front verandah has been enclosed and a section "pushed out" in one corner (perhaps new stairwell) and clad in ripple iron. It clearly is more modern than the 1960s and I don't mind it (hubby hates it).

There is a similar house locally where the front verandah has been enclosed and a section "pushed out" in one corner (perhaps new stairwell) and clad in ripple iron. It clearly is more modern than the 1960s and I don't mind it (hubby hates it).
Noooooooooooooooo.. cladding external walls with corrugated sheeting should be banned along with black and white check tiles/vinyl in kitchen/bathrooms and Justin Bieber. :p

Back