Classic Floor Coverings?

Dear All,

Was out on the weekend doing some research re flooring for a unit reno in the near future. Was looking primarily at a combination of Floating Wood Floors and Carpet. Came across a product called 'New Look Vinyl' which was interesting.

This product was at face value quite attractive and looked a whole lot like the actual flooring it was imitating. For example we didn't realise the imitation wood floor vinyl wasn't wood floor until we compared the sound to the actual wooden floors nearby. It wasn't just a flat photo onto the vinyl either. It even had shape / texture matching the product it was imitating (to a reasonable degree at least). So with the wooden floor boards there was actually an edge you could feel on the imagage of the boards. They came in varying degrees of grip. Personally I thought the lower grip versions looked more authentic and the higher grip versions were a bit easier to pick as not genuine.

This stuff didn't make the loud noise wooden floors do when you walk on them with hard shoes, didn't need acoustic underlay for units, apparently very difficult to scratch etc and was guaranteed for 20 years (residential use).

It's worth between $40 - $60 a sqm depending on the type / range you pick, plus $20 sqm to lay. So compares favourably given it's stated life spand to some other flooring options.

Now I'm not selling this stuff. Just very interested in considering it as an option to wooden floors etc especially for rental properties and would be interested in hearing if anyone else has used it, or knows anything about it, good or bad.

The website for this stuff is www.classicfloorcoverings.com.au . It has some reasonable pics of the flooring. Let me know what you think.

MF

I Have an extended familly member with a restless spouse - 20 houses (ppor) in 35 years :eek: - we had a discussion about this subject, she said that vinyl flooring was the easiest to live on - most user friendly, but as for longevity of course she can't comment.

I have been considering it for our weekender - heavy use and sandy feet etc. My thoughts run along the lines of - yes it's practical and attractive, but it just doesn't have the sex appeal of timber or Italian tiles etc. So what would be the best investment for resale?

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
Bawley

Hi MF35.

Friend had vinyl laid down that I swore looked like cork tiles (think that's the right terminology), in a hallway of an I/P.

Looked great and was apparently cheap to get installed.

Regards
Marty

There's a vinyl called Amtico which is pretty high quality and has some wonderful lookalike patterns- I would consider vinyl as it's warmer than tiles, easier to clean than carpet and generally simpler to maintain as well. If you really hate it, you can always rip it up in later years (unlike tiles!). The old lino floor certainly has come a long way in recent years!

This is their US based site:
http://www.amtico.com/home/whats_new.asp
and their Australian contact:
http://www.stratica.com/stratica.asp

Costs of laying compared to carpet.

In a recent reno, I found that the costs of laying lino are more than carpet.

The cost is in preparation. For Lino to look good it has to be mirror smooth underneath.

For carpet to look good, it has to be laid onto the floor - can cover all sorts of ugliness.

The carpet layer spent a good 1/2 the day putting some sort of bog down and sweeping it around to even out lumps /dips in the concrete, in the kitchen.

He then did the entire lounge room as well with this stuff, and it was still wet when I got back.

I walked in and said "what the?"

when i told him there would be no vinyl, only carpet in the lounge,
he nearly coughed up his skull and then promptly swore for about 20 minutes, and sat down for a smoke.

He seemed upset.

A few frantic calls and the measuring lady came back shortly and heartily apologised, bringing a roll of the proper carpet and taking the excess lino with her. I think she owed the layer guy some beer too...

He had to come back the next day to finish as the bog was still wet and they couldn't put underlay down until it was dry.

Lino goes straight onto wet bog and sticks it down.

oops!

IMHO anything imitated is just that.

In the long run, real timber can be refinished and actually improves in appearance with a few scuffs and dints.

People pay a lot for heritage floor boards. I doubt if they will in 50 years time when this stuff I sold.

Same for real timber benchtops.

My thoughts, Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
IMHO anything imitated is just that.

In the long run, real timber can be refinished and actually improves in appearance with a few scuffs and dints.

People pay a lot for heritage floor boards. I doubt if they will in 50 years time when this stuff I sold.

Same for real timber benchtops.

My thoughts, Peter 147

I agree in that there's nothing quite like the real thing. And good quality timber will hold it's own in both time and quality.
But, when cost is an issue sometimes these alternatives can present themselves as attractive as well.

Peter147,

Yes this stuff is imitation but from what I've seen it looks pretty good, cleans easy, scratch & burn resistant, doesn't make the loud noise wood does when you walk on it (especially ladies in their flash shoes), is durable and a long term option given the 20 year guarantee. I wont have to get the surface re sanded and polished every 3 - 5 years like I would with wood in a rental, or have to change the carpet when it looks like crap after a few years in a rental. From my experience (as a renter in the same area I've purchased this unit, eastern suburbs of Sydney) the carpets in units were very rarely in good condition and this has a major impact on how much people will pay for the unit and how quickly it rents when vacant.

Anyway, there's no right or wrong answer of course. Just what suits what you're looking for. I want something that will look good for longer and require less maintenance. So for me in a rental this stuff is worth a go. Thanks for your input.

For people's info I had a quote done up & if your floors need to be sanded back to smooth out the surface and underfloor levelling material put in (as mine do and most would I'd imagine) then the cost is approx $100 pm2 fully laid. I'd work off this figure to be safe rather than any lower amount.

I'll see how it goes and let you know,

MF.

Horses for courses. You wouldn't put lino in a certain style of home but it suits some purposes and properties. However I think it would be a shame to put it in a nice federation/terrace home. (just me no offense meant)

I can't say from my own property experience with lino but a friend of mine has a hairdressing salon. She put good quality wood looking lino down 3 years ago and it still looks fantastic, it is durable and cost efficient for her salon and it doesn't soak up the spills of tint etc.

As you can imagine it does get a workout as it is get high traffic in street shoes (not socks/slippers like at home) and lots of sweeping/washing and chemical spills. It is also not as noisy, you can imagine the sounds of dryers/walking/talking/music bouncing off tiles/wooden boards.

Has worked out for her but she was diligent in her research prior (making sure the chemicals wouldn't stain etc)

all the best

;)

Hi MF,

Our experience with lino hasn't been anything to write home about. My parents had their kitchen and dining area in Rockhampton layed with lino approximately 3 years ago. The lino was bedded on concrete slab in a BV home and was recommended by an interior designer they had refurbish the house. The approximate cost worked out to be around $90 per metre but the finished result was good...for a time.

Anyone who's familiar with the rockhampton climate will know that temps are regularly above 35 degrees in summer and within 18 months the lino had warped. First it pulled away from the walls, then it began to curl back on itself. My parents had the installers out 5 times in the following 8 months regluing and anchoring the lino back down to it's original position. Without fail the product would again peel back within a few weeks. The eventual solution came in the form of packing tape which seemed to be the only thing that would hold it in place - not very appealing.

Anyway the product had a five year garuntee and the supplier ended up refunding 75% of the purchase price after seeing the 'carnage'. My parents promptly retiled the area and haven't looked back.

Whether it was the weather ( :) ) or the product was unsuited to the climate I don't know. But for my money I wouldn't touch the stuff with a barge pole.

Cheers E x

MF35 said:
Dear All,

It's worth between $40 - $60 a sqm depending on the type / range you pick, plus $20 sqm to lay. So compares favourably given it's stated life spand to some other flooring options.

Now I'm not selling this stuff. Just very interested in considering it as an option to wooden floors etc especially for rental properties and would be interested in hearing if anyone else has used it, or knows anything about it, good or bad.

The website for this stuff is www.classicfloorcoverings.com.au . It has some reasonable pics of the flooring. Let me know what you think.

MF

anyone know if this stuff is easy to lay yourself?

Yes as always it depends what type of place you're doing up and for what purpose.

emcdonald, I am also not as keen on the type of lino that you role out in one sheet across the floor. Out of interest was this the type your parents used. The stuff I'm looking at comes in 'planks', it's not a large sheet of lino.

Kinghtm, you can apparently lay it yourself if you're happy you know what you're doing. Not for me however.

MF

emcdonald, I am also not as keen on the type of lino that you role out in one sheet across the floor. Out of interest was this the type your parents used. The stuff I'm looking at comes in 'planks', it's not a large sheet of lino.

Hi MF,

Sorry I should have mentioned previously the product used was in large sheet form...Perhaps the downsizing of the sheets to 'planks' would inprove the durability of the product???

Cheers,

e x

Back