Classmate sues schoolgirl, 13, over tennis court mishap at private school

That was just unbelievable ... and to stand in front of the camera's and spout such nonsense. Sheesh.

She didn't look to bright either - perhaps she planned to (ahem) recline her way thru the course.

I think the biggest waste of space has to be a journalism degree - or as a friend of mine described it - it's a degree in how to marry a doctor/lawyer/banker

:eek:

Excuse me mister (I think you're a mister :p ). I did a degree in journalism/public relations and now work in media relations. Not a waste of space me thinks. Quite a fun and interesting area to work in actually.

................of the roll ?

ta
rolf

Some of the graffiti in the Arts faculty toilet cubicles from nigh on twenty years ago:

"Arts degrees dispensed here" (above the toilet roll dispenser)

Q - What did the Arts graduate say to the Engineering graduate?
A - And would you like fries with that?

How is Mumbai this time of year? :p

Yes, engineering graduates these days certainly need to be capable of more than just engineering to avoid that fate. If all you're capable of doing is detailed design you have a high danger of being "offshored".

A salutary and timely warning to any young engineers out there... the process has already well and truly begun.

:eek:

Excuse me mister (I think you're a mister :p ). I did a degree in journalism/public relations and now work in media relations. Not a waste of space me thinks. Quite a fun and interesting area to work in actually.

Yep, Mister :p

Fair enough. You must be the exception to the rule - like me, an Arts graduate with a job who invests in property ;)

I would have thought the most useles degree is a music degree,

you need a teaching degree to become music teacher, and most people doing the music degrees would already be able to play an instrument, so it doesnt help joining a professional orchestra or a solo performer....................

one of family members did a music degree, they never went down the music path

All study/degrees are useful

Personally, I don't think any degree is useless. Some may have more commercial applicability than others depending on location, market supply/demand for certain vocations and so forth.

It is certainly not a prerequisite to financial success as many self made multi's and billionaires started from nothing or very little and built empires.

Are all degrees equal? No.
Are degrees necessary for success? No.
Are all degress useless? No.

The process of undertaking study (whatever it is) and the discipline required to finish a course/degree is a useful trait and development of character.

I have three degrees of which one is a Masters and I don't use any of the knowledge acquired in my day to day life any more. Where they useless? No way. I have no regrets whatsoever about all the study I have completed over the years.

By the way, back to the topic at hand. Unfortunately schools can't screen for moronic parents of plaintiff children who accidently cop a tennis ball to the eye. I feel sorry for the kids as they need to encounter each other in everyday school life.

Oh, and it's not a pre-requisite to have hyphenated surnames to attend that school. Young Miss Player only has one last name. ;)

Personally, I don't think any degree is useless. Some may have more commercial applicability than others depending on location, market supply/demand for certain vocations and so forth.

It is certainly not a prerequisite to financial success as many self made multi's and billionaires started from nothing or very little and built empires.

The process of undertaking study (whatever it is) and the discipline required to finish a course/degree is a useful trait and development of character.

I have three degrees of which one is a Masters and I don't use any of the knowledge acquired in my day to day life any more. Where they useless? No way. I have no regrets whatsoever about all the study I have completed over the years.

By the way, back to the topic at hand. Unfortunately schools can't screen for moronic parents of plaintiff children who accidently cop a tennis ball to the eye. I feel sorry for the kids as they need to encounter each other in everyday school life.

Oh, and it's not a pre-requisite to have hyphenated surnames to attend that school. Young Miss Player only has one last name. ;)

Come on, Player . . . let your inner redneck out for a bit.

Elitist! Elitist!

*discretely takes down law degree from wall*

Listen up, sunshine. In this here world, everyone's opinion on everything is equal, irrespective of qualifications or experience. You don't get to be critical of the views of the man on the street or behind the microphone just because your "an expert in your field" or "published" or some other uppity nonsense.

Democracy means that the truth is what the majority of people believe it is.

Which is why in Kansas the earth is 6000 years old and in Nimbin chrystals cure cancer.

Elitist! Elitist!

*discretely takes down law degree from wall*

Listen up, sunshine. In this here world, everyone's opinion on everything is equal, irrespective of qualifications or experience. You don't get to be critical of the views of the man on the street or behind the microphone just because your "an expert in your field" or "published" or some other uppity nonsense.

Democracy means that the truth is what the majority of people believe it is.

Which is why in Kansas the earth is 6000 years old and in Nimbin chrystals cure cancer.

Que? :confused:

Personally, I don't think any degree is useless.

Think about this. Some bloke decides 'Hey, I want to study philosophy.' So he goes to Uni, drops tens of thousands of dollaridoos and four years of his life on an Uni education that ultimately leads nowhere (as in, no employment prospects post-Un).

Another bloke says 'I want to study philosophy.' and walks to the closest library....

Some broad decides 'Hey, I want to study women's studies.' So she goes to Uni, drops tens of thousands of dollaridoos and four years of her life on an Uni education that ultimately leads nowhere.

Another broad says 'I want to study women's studies.' then stops and thinks to herself 'Nah, I'd rather live in the real world.'

Last edited:
Think about this. Some bloke decides 'Hey, I want to study philosophy.' So he goes to Uni, drops tens of thousands of dollaridoos and four years of his life on an Uni education that ultimately leads nowhere (as in, no employment prospects post-Un).

Another bloke says 'I want to study philosophy.' and walks to the closest library....

Some broad decides 'Hey, I want to study women's studies.' So she goes to Uni, drops tens of thousands of dollaridoos and four years of her life on an Uni education that ultimately leads nowhere.

Another broad says 'I want to study women's studies.' then stops and thinks to herself 'Nah, I rather live in the real world.'

It's ok.

You just don't understand that people actually want to study and learn things because they are passionate about them.

Why is it any of your business what people study anywhere?

It is this kind of provincial thinking that means when the mining boom is over we will go back to just being another backwater that throws up the occasional good sporting team.

Any one with anything resembling intellectual or artistic talent will just go overseas.

Back