cleaning paint off fbs

can anybody with a bit more experience then me guide me on this one

one of my ips, we were intending to polish fbs, so we spilt paint on it etc.

Hired a cleaner who got on his knees and scraped the paint off and did a great job

fast forward, we just finished painting another ip and naturally there are a fair few paint stains on it,

got a quote from a cleaning company who said, its not possible to remove paint off fbs, and the only option is to repolish them all!

Doesnt sound right to me, unfortunately 1st ip and this one is in a different state so cant ask the guy to do it again

If the paint is acrylic and the floorboards have an enamel clear finish, methylated spirits can get rid of the paint if you apply it shortly after the spill.

... and acrylic paint will lift easily with a razor blade, especially after being wet with a cloth for a few seconds. I know, because I spend part of yesterday doing it.

got a quote from a cleaning company who said, its not possible to remove paint off fbs, and the only option is to repolish them all!

"its not possible" = I don't want to or I don't know how and cant be bothered finding out.

what they all said. ... personally I just scrape it off with either my fingernail (of only a few days old) or carefully with a semi-blunt chisel if old.

Add to what Wylie said ... can't do it = more dollars to repolish

If the paint is acrylic the bulk of it it should come off with a sharp blade,the existing will have to be sanded off with a bit of sandpaper,be aware this will leave shiny bits of floorboards and in the end to have nice floorboards again the only alternative may be to re-sand the entire floor. :eek:

Thanks everyone

Can anyone give me a few pointers,

I spoke to a handyman I used in a different state and he said use a scraper and its a bit of a pain but easily possible

However , I've sent two cleaners to the premises and both have said the big paint stains are too big or will take too long and to sand back the entire floor

To me that's a bloody ridiculous solution, sand back the entire floor for a few paint stains

I came across a tip some time ago to use Brasso on a stocking and gently rub... worked a treat getting white paint off my japan black floorboards :eek:

my floorboards have a polyurethane top coat and the Brasso didn't scratch etc.... test first in an inconspicuous spot!

How big are these paint stains?

Most of us here replied as if they were the normal splatter dots or a half footprint (guilty :eek:) ... but it was a whole tin's worth spread around, that's another story

Thanks everyone

Can anyone give me a few pointers,

I spoke to a handyman I used in a different state and he said use a scraper and its a bit of a pain but easily possible

However , I've sent two cleaners to the premises and both have said the big paint stains are too big or will take too long and to sand back the entire floor

To me that's a bloody ridiculous solution, sand back the entire floor for a few paint stains

You still haven't told us whether it is water based or oil based.... vastly different treatments....

The Y-man

Sorry everyone, 95% water based, we did 8 entire rooms water based and one room's skirts with oil based

The biggest one would have to be about a 10cent coin, however, there are a lot of tiny ones everywhere, just splatter stains

Back