Come on ASX - get your *ss up

Don't forget the experiment that concluded that Monkeys are better stock pickers than Fund Managers ;)

You start with $50,000.00 in the Game - How did you acquire that amount of money to start with? That amount would seem huge to the average high school kid to begin with.

Learning about the market is great, its the short term 'game' I'm not so sure about

images
I agree with you as my son is doing this stock market game right now. The group lacked leadership and they were selling the stocks that were rising and buying those that we falling, it was so funny to me I must admit.
However, the interesting point is what you pointed out. In one year of their school's competition the team that won did absolutely nothing. They forgot to play with $50K and so apparently at the end, in those bad times they had most money left over over others, so they won! What did that prove? That sometimes doing nothing is better, especially if your timing is right, so in a way it is gambling!
I couldn't agree more, that perhaps they should teach real life finances like you pointed out.....;)

With the market today, I feel doomed. I am holding BHP and ANZ. Could be black October or GFC II around the corner
If you hold stop losses in the market than you have nothing to worry about as you will protect your capital, right?:)

Looking at the Japanese candlestick I wouldn't be trading this stock at the moment unless someone plans to hold it for the long term, is that the strategy?????

Bought into the markets before lunch this morning as I had some new funds and had to re-balance holdings

I had a whinge this morning that I should have dipped a bit more in earlier today, then everything steadily rose after lunch.

I did manage to have 2x orders executed yesterday so my averaging down strategy is working! :cool:

pinkboy

I had a whinge this morning that I should have dipped a bit more in earlier today, then everything steadily rose after lunch.

I did manage to have 2x orders executed yesterday so my averaging down strategy is working! :cool:

pinkboy

best time to average down is when the share in question is being sold down because of sector issues or market issues, yet it still trundelling along nicely from a fundamental point of view.

I am being nicely wacked at the moment by dollar averaging down on Tesco and J Sainsbury, and I can tell you its not a very nice feeling at the moment.

Why I am doing this?
There is the real risk that I am looking at the UK grocery scene through the prism of an Australian buying groceries in Australia.

On the flip side, my logic has been that profits will go up/profits will came down, but over time profits go up more (otherwise how did they get so big over time). So buy when the market is not favourable towards the stock.

Backfiring big time at the moment.

These two stocks could be my first 2 international stock selections that end up making me look foolish (out of 30 odd stocks invested in over the last 7 years)

other than that I can provide a possible reason for the ASX market is not doing anything.

Because just like the economy going through a structural phase.

Our market is going through a stock rotational phase.

That's why the components in the index are changing. Which long term is good. Less dodgy mining companies with massive market caps and no earnings.

During this phase don't expect the overall indexes to do much.

IV

You have possibly seen this, amazing in this day and age.

Tesco Investigates Accounting Error

The newly installed chief executive, Dave Lewis, said Monday that Tesco had uncovered a "serious" accounting issue, amounting to a third profit warning in as many months.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/tesco-error-triggers-new-profit-warning-1411367294

lol hard to miss, its spread all over the financial news sites.

Not a good thing, I remember a word from Cramer, when there are accounting irrigularities, get out, no matter what.

But to put it in perspective its 250million pounds against a forecast profit of 1.1billion pounds. If Tesco makes $850 for the half, then double it for the year its $1.7 billion. Market cap now is $15.7 billion, so PE less than 10.
They also hold a stack of property on their books at cost price. Market valuation is estimated significantly higher.

Also international operations were hammered by the rapid rise of the pound over the last year. Pound is now trending down a bit for this year, so should see better overseas profit translations.

Against this the negatives:
*their debt levels are quite high (but not alarming in itself)
*the new budget entrants are taking market share rapidly (but from a very small base)
*again do I lack understanding of the UK grocery market. Australia has an effective oligopoly with a weak 3rd player (Metcash, think IGA)
*UK has 4 major players with Tesco the biggest on 30%. With new market entrants we could see up to 7 players. This makes market pricing much harder (No matter what the Australian competition board says, you can bet that Woolworths and Coles give secret price signals to one another).

I bought my first lot of shares at 300 pence, that needs a 50% share price recovery to break even. Bought again at 270 odd, 240 odd and 212 odd.
Now represents 2% of the total share portfolio. Uncomfortably high given the uncertainties.
Yet don't want to sell, not because of loss, but because if they can just stabilize the business, then share price will be much higher.

J Sainsbury being hit by association, although their market share is also dropping a bit against the budget newcomers.

What a huge relief ... didn't realise that when a sell order is in, the value of the shares on that order is removed from your holdings ... I have around $300k more, that I thought I had lost.

Sometimes I am so blonde!

So - cancelled the high sells I had placed just before the market turned, and have dumped RIO and WBC on the market at last trading value. Still make a very tidy profit on those two and getting ready to move cash into the new property purchase. Wondering if I should flog BHP as well ... not so good a profit as the other two, but still in the green.

Phew!

Last edited:
What a huge relief ... didn't realise that when a sell order is in, the value of the shares on that order is removed from your holdings ... I have around $300k more, that I thought I had lost.

Sometimes I am so blonde!

So - cancelled the high sells I had placed just before the market turned, and have dumped RIO and WBC on the market at last trading value. Still make a very tidy profit on those two and getting reading to move cash into the new property purchase. Wondering if I should flog BHP as well ... not so good a profit as the other two, but still in the green.

Phew!

It's not going to be a good start today if the overnight US markets is of any guide.

Market seems to be in correction mode right now. Great for people looking to enter not so for people looking to exit.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Thanks I'll have a look at them.
Does anyone know the easiest way to search/sort for stocks by yield?
Is there a filter/function in Comsec website which can do this?

Thanks I'll have a look at them.
Does anyone know the easiest way to search/sort for stocks by yield?
Is there a filter/function in Comsec website which can do this?

I think you can go into the "ASX" Site and go into the company info it it's in there somewhere,or download or just read online the Annual-Report..imho..

Back