Computer Problems

http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Internet-Security/3000-8022_4-10045910.html

Skater
download the above, but you must run computer in safe mode with network when you run the first scan or it will just keep comming back. How you get to safe mode depends on operating system.
So what system are you running xp, vista or windows 7.

regards

PS: it is free

LOL! I have no idea what I'm running. Whatever came with it when we bought it.

At the moment I've still got two of the other ones to run. It's taking some time.

LOL! I have no idea what I'm running. Whatever came with it when we bought it.

At the moment I've still got two of the other ones to run. It's taking some time.

Oh, right click on my computer go down to properties.

the general tab will tell you.

or how old is machine.

Too easy! Windows 7.

Download from above site, to desktop so you can see it.

Restart your computer.
When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options screen as shown in the image below.

(if this advanced boot options screen does does not come up you may f lock on tap once and restart computer again.)

Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode with network option you want.
Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows 7 will enter Safe mode.
Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

Do not panic if screen seems funny and out of size, then find ada ware and run follow all prompts. it will take a while but do one at a time.

x fingers, then restart like normal.

This is doing my head in.

After installing ALL the suggested programs (and using them), AND getting the modem reset, I still have the problem. It doesn't seem to be happening as often, but it is still happening.

I'm at my wits end!

This isn't going to be much help but its the only way to avoid viruses and fix your problems.

My advice is to copy your data, photos, emails, documents and music you have off the pc, reformat and re-install windows and all drivers and plugins.

If people persist with using windows they need to know how to do this its not that hard and many guides can be found online. If you keep using windows you will need to do this regularly anyway so best to learn how to do it just dont tell your friends or you will end up doing it for all of them.

After this never use IE, use Chrome it is far superior in every way to any other browser and reduces the chance of viruses exponentially. Switch from client based email to gmail and never run executible files that are emailed to you unless you absolutly know what they are. Keep your kids off the computer as they wont follow any of these rules and will download and install all sorts of rubbish.

I know its not much help but it really is the only fix these viruses corrupt files and the effort involed in finding, removing and replacing is to much when a simple format and re-install can fix it in a couple of hours.

Back