Concrete Flooring with underfloor heating

Hello,
I have an investment property with wooden flooring which the last two tenants kindly decided to have dogs in (without permission) which used the flooring as a toilet :mad:
Unfortunately now I cannot remove the smell and so I have to remove it.
As this house, a small 12 square with a tiny courtyard, will continue to be used a an ip I was thinking about putting in a polished concrete floor with underfloor heating. I was wondering if anyone has put a concrete floor in their property with underfloor heating and could provide me with some feedback as to whether they were happy with it.
Thanks for your help.

You are obviously planning on pouring new concrete in order to get the heating under, there are min thickness' and it is very expensive if you want to use the type with coloured aggregate. I once looked at it and was quoted any where from $100-$200m2. you can get a good quality polished tile for half that and there are under floor heating systems for them. In saying all that I think you will be lucky to ever get back the capital you spend on the heating by way of increased rent.

You also might find that some serious googling brings up some ways to get rid of the smell - offhand I can only think of bicarbonate of soda but that's not really a large scale thing, there's probably commercial products that could do it.

Then you could get those floors properly sealed with some industrial strength polyurethane so that any other ikky gooey smelly substances on the floors can't soak in and cause this problem again.

Spending tens of thousands of dollars to get rid of a bad smell smacks of more money than sense.

is there a good large terrazzo tile option that gives a "polished concrete look"?
having done polished concrete before, im thinking any option would be a cheaper option.

I was thinking about putting in a polished concrete floor with underfloor heating. I was wondering if anyone has put a concrete floor in their property with underfloor heating and could provide me with some feedback as to whether they were happy with it.

Not a good idea. We have electric in-slab heating at home (in Melbourne).

It comes on at night to take advantage of off-peak electricity rates. So, in the morning, it’s quite warm and pretty nice. But then you go to work and the kids go to school – your house is empty and the heat dissipates with nobody around to enjoy it.

By the time you come home to spend the dark winter’s evening in the house, the heat has gone and your family is cold.

In Autumn or Spring, the result can be even worse. Melbourne mornings are often still very cold during these seasons so the slab will really heat up over night. But the afternoons can be bright, beautiful and warm - you’ll be opening the windows and turning on fans to try and cool down the house.

We gave up on it and had GDH heating installed in the roof.

You can heat the slap with water in pipes. You turn it on for winter, and leave it go till the weather warms up. Supposed to be cheap to run. Water is heated by gas.

totally agree and on those cold once off days by the timethe heat is on the cold day is gone, if the floors are damaged just villaboard and tile them the smell will go!

Back