Concrete or Pave?

Hi,
Just in the initial idea and planning stage for a duplex we picked up recently. We are looking at putting in a patio for each unit, and were are not sure what would be cheaper but will also be longer lasting and need the least maintenance? Does anyone have a thoughts between paving or concreting the floor?

Cheers!

Done properly, paving looks way better, gives more character, but costs more than standard grey concrete.

You could do stamped or stensil concrete, but lots of maint to keep it looking good.

Pavers need the occasional blast with a gerni and back to new.

depends upon your end goal and use and matching the overall style of the property.

Liquid limestone looks better than both pavers and concrete especially if you have some greenery (grass or gardens) as a backdrop.

Looks good, can be easily cleaned and you don't get all the ants lifting the sand to the surface between the pavers which eventually makes them uneven (at least here in Perth:mad:)

Hi, for patio, pavers would be better. Level area & not a big area means they won't shift. The weeds can be sprayed.

For driveway, DON'T use pavers. They're hell to maintain. I just finished a backbreaking job of cleaning the driveway & there're still a lot of weeds that I couldn't get out. And that's on top of a big job cementing in the pavers at the edge so they won't shift.

Used to be, every year, I had to redo the pavers, until I decided enough was enough & I used concrete and bricks to wedge crosswise.

KY

Concrete for longevity and low maintenance - in an IP.

Depending on area/budget etc, if you want a bit of flair; go for the waterblasted aggregate surface.

Looks terrific (we've got it as our PPoR driveway) and it is safer for non-slip.

For driveway, DON'T use pavers. They're hell to maintain. I just finished a backbreaking job of cleaning the driveway & there're still a lot of weeds that I couldn't get out. And that's on top of a big job cementing in the pavers at the edge so they won't shift.

Used to be, every year, I had to redo the pavers, until I decided enough was enough & I used concrete and bricks to wedge crosswise.

KY

Obviously job not done right in the first place.

Driveways use concrete base min 50mm then 15mm washed river sand, then pavers. Wet lay the edges and you have a long lasting strong no shifting paver job. Weeds originate from seed blowing/dropping in the joints, so spray/pull as soon as they appear or better still use the many grouts sands that inhibit weeds/ants.

Back