Concrete Tilies

Hi,
I have a wooden floor and am wanting to replace it with a concrete slab.
Unfortunately it is going to cost approx. $10,000.
Has anyone put concrete tiles over the top of the wooden floors as I am considering this as an option?
Thanks

hi crane,

is there a reason why you would want to do that?
i would LOVE to have a wooden floor in my PPOR.. just the cost of trying to renovate my bathroom was made near impossible because the plumbers wanted to charge an arm and a leg to drill through the concrete..

i would of thought that concrete tiles are just as expensive, or even more expensive than removing the wooden floor and laying a slab..

Not sure why you would want to do this, however, how high off the ground is the existing floor? is there ventilation to the existing timber bearers and joists? How big of an area are you looking at doing if doing over a large open area the weight of the concrete tile slabs may become an issue.

If just a small area IE entry you could sheet the area with tile underlay and screed and bed the slabs, that way you can even end matching, of course you will have a small step.

It will depend on what you are after as and end result, to give a more informed response.

Brian

Hi,
Thankyou for the replys.
The floor needs replacing otherwise I would keep it.
Tenants have been pretty rough with it an one tenant kept a couple of dogs inside and they used it for a toilet, after spending alot of money trying to get the smell out of the floor it still smells of urine when the heating is on, apparently the smell has permeated into the boards.
I am in Melbourne, if anyone knows of someone they would recommend to do the tiling, please let me know.
Thankyou

Crane, PM Painter from this site ask about his flooring he uses I will be looking at it in more detail myself.

Brian

If you are replacing the wood with tiles because of the smell, this will not work.

There are industrial cleaners that can remove the smell for a small fee.

Otherwise, you will need to place masonite over the wooden flooring then tile. Costly job.

I have had ceramic tiles laid over a timber floor.
Be aware timber floors do flex, particularly if the house is on piers, if this is the case you'd be best of gluing and screwing down 19mm thick tongue and groove partical board sheeting before laying the tiles to prevent the tiles cracking and the grout becoming dislodged.
Do not scrimp on the screws and glue.

Other options ... If the flooring is rotten, just rip up the floorboards, put particleboard over the joists and either tile over that or fout down floating timber flooring..

Or just replace the floorboards

otherwise if the flooring is not too bad, lay down tile underlay and tile over that - (then sell??).

I am not sure you can actually just replace a timber floor with a concrete floor .. what about under the walls in the house??? Joists and bearers run under them and cutting them out to pour in concrete won't work .. plus how much concrete (depth) are we takling about as the floor is raised??

good luck and be wary about allowing pets again.

cheers

RightValue

Back