Consolidation of 2 lots for extra parking

My brother and his doctor partner has a medical clinic where he practices his dental prosthetics as well. Their problem is that they are getting busier and the car park is not big enough (6 parking spaces).

They bought the vacant land next door with the intention of consolidating the 2 properties to extend more parking spaces and also might build another building to extend their services.

What are their options? Do they simply get a land surveyor to consolidate the 2 properties but on separate titles?

Why bother consolidating the titles? You will need to determine what they want to ultimately do with the land eg: erect larger building across two lots or build an adjoining building etc. Just because there are there are two lots does not mean there are any extra benefits by consolidating the site.

If the ultimate intent is to expand the building, create additional parking, more treatment rooms, lease out additional office/retail space/shoptop living etc, then they would need to consolidate the site, create a stratum plan (if it will be staged development), create strata plan (once built) and sell off the various areas. If they aren't going to strata, there is absolutely no need.

If you consolidate, then there is only one title, not two.

Why bother consolidating the titles? You will need to determine what they want to ultimately do with the land eg: erect larger building across two lots or build an adjoining building etc. Just because there are there are two lots does not mean there are any extra benefits by consolidating the site.

If the ultimate intent is to expand the building, create additional parking, more treatment rooms, lease out additional office/retail space/shoptop living etc, then they would need to consolidate the site, create a stratum plan (if it will be staged development), create strata plan (once built) and sell off the various areas. If they aren't going to strata, there is absolutely no need.

If you consolidate, then there is only one title, not two.

I thought they would like to put up a building in the future but apparently it's only to expand car park space at the moment anyway. He'll be calling a surveyor to find out his options. I'll update this thread on the progress.

Back