Construction Cost

Hello All,

As we are in the process of getting an approval for 3 townhouse development, i am just wondering if i can get some assistance as in rough estimate on building costs.
What sort of $$$ per sqm for 2 double storey and one single storey?
If we add a balcony, is it really expensive?
The sort of fittings will be standard, just a rough estimate will be helpful to begin with.
Thanks in advance

I've been told that you can expect approximately $11-$15K per square for a double story townhouse development, depending on quality, design, etc.

price per square metre (rather than square) can generally be anything from $1,200 upwards. as a rule of thumb $1,200/m2 will get you a basic fitout of tile/carpet floors, laminate benchtops etc - basic rental standard - including colourbond fencing, concrete drive, letterboxes and turf.

however, the sky is the limit depending on the quality of fitout you are after.

For a standard finish I allow $1200-$1400/sqm up to aroud $3000/sqm for you beaut flash finish. This is for a double story townhouse.
Balconys do add extra into the equation, depending on size and design/construction etc...
Single story expect around about $700 to $1200 depending on spec...
You usually get a better price from project builders who already have designs that have been built. Depending on the block, you may be able to just plonk their design straight onto your block. Architecturally designed buildings usually cost a whole heap more.:rolleyes:
Hope this helps.

Boods

So, say for example you go on $2000/sqm.

Does that include the car space and outdoor balcony area?

Eg. If the internal is 80sqm, but you have an extra 20sqm external, would you say $160k 'build cost' for the townhouse, or $200k?

with the calc's i use to find the total area to calculate at around $1200/m for basic finish i would include covered patio/balcony and garage - but not carspace as generally, depending on how big it is. if the carspace is just a slab of concrete then i wouldn't add it to the "area"

balcony is a bit tricky. if it is included in the stucture of the property then i'd include it (better to budget to much than not enough) - however, if it is an attached deck then i would calculate it's own costs separate.

Thanks to all for your replies.
So what i gathered is:
1. For a double storey, approx $1200 - $1400per sqm (very basic fits)
2. For a single storey, approx $700 - $1000.
Now, if we add floor boards downstairs and in the single storey and also Granite Bench tops....how is it going to affect the per sqm figure.
Is LUG comes under covered area?
Thanks Again

Thanks to all for your replies.
So what i gathered is:
1. For a double storey, approx $1200 - $1400per sqm (very basic fits)
2. For a single storey, approx $700 - $1000.
Now, if we add floor boards downstairs and in the single storey and also Granite Bench tops....how is it going to affect the per sqm figure.
Is LUG comes under covered area?
Thanks Again
not quite. if you select the project close to the serial builders project you can manage the cost of double storey under $800. Go around, see what they offer as a serial solution. I did so, and reduced my cost from $1400 to $736.

not quite. if you select the project close to the serial builders project you can manage the cost of double storey under $800. Go around, see what they offer as a serial solution. I did so, and reduced my cost from $1400 to $736.

Wow.
Could you please elaborate a bit more on Serial Builders. Who are they and where can one find them.
The figures you have quoted..are they recent?

Could anyone please recommend good Townhouse builders in Melbourne.
Does big builders like Metricon, Burbank, Simmonds etc build twonhouses as per your specifications/drawings.
Thanks Heaps.

development townhouses

can i ask the different peope who posted a few questions

what other thigns hav eyou done before doing town house developments

what do you plan to do with the townhouses sell half keep half or keep one or sell all for short term incoem rather than long term cg.

what books or learning did you do to get your knowledge and skills besides actually doing it.

I am looking for solutions for both income and long term security. i dont know if both those solutions will be through property but developments look interesting for me as possibly helping both short term income and if i soemtimes keep one long term cg.

what can you advise me. I need to think carefully abou tthe specifics of my situaton as i cant just go out there and do anything and hope for the best . i have a family and aged parents to support. it snot just taking risks for myself and even for myself i'm not 20 have been through alot in the last few decades and am going to act when i have the knowledge and strategy that would be best for me taking into account the repercussions of different actions on my particular situation.

Any info that could assist me would be very much appreciated as i am looking for how i can turn around my financial situation short term and long term for my own sake and for the sake of my chidlren and aging parents.

Paula

How was the quality of the project at the cheaper price MM?

Did the quality drop off, were the fittings el crappo etc?

Under a grand per m2 would be nice...

My two storey development in Sydney is based on $2500/m2 because of the additional cost of the excavated basement.

I'll know for sure when I get my CC docs done and tenders back, but I'm bracing for the worst case.

Cheers,
Michael.

So what you recon L.AAussie..how much persqm double storey quality home?

I've got no idea. My guess would be around $12k per square, up to $15k for something really nice? I don't know what a ball-park figure would be for a square metre.

I think MadMax said around $800 or so for a square metre.

What I was wondering though is, if the average seems to be around the $1,400 per sq/m, and he managed to get the price down to just over half that, did the quality suffer?

How would the builder still be able to deliver a quality product with that big a price discount?

My cynical brain tells me he would have to cut some major corners somewhere?

I've got no idea. My guess would be around $12k per square, up to $15k for something really nice? I don't know what a ball-park figure would be for a square metre.

I think MadMax said around $800 or so for a square metre.

What I was wondering though is, if the average seems to be around the $1,400 per sq/m, and he managed to get the price down to just over half that, did the quality suffer?

How would the builder still be able to deliver a quality product with that big a price discount?

I thought so too. I price drop from $1400 to $800...hmmm
I was thinking on the same line as in $1500 per sqm. Definitely not gonna compromise on the quality, happy to pay $200 more per sqm.
Thanks LAAussie

maybe he just hasn't included any external requirements like driveways, letterboxes, fences, paving, landscaping etc.

around the $1000-1200 (as an inexpensive range) includes these items.

Melbourne prices from Rawlinsons Construction Cost Guide 2008

Full Brick spec home $1045-1125 p/sqm

Full Brick individual house low quality $1410-1520 p/sqm
Full Brick individual house high quality $1985-2140 p/sqm

Two story townhouse low quality $1600-$1725 p/sqm
Two story townhouse high quality $1820-$1960 p/sqm

Melbourne prices from Rawlinsons Construction Cost Guide 2008

Full Brick spec home $1045-1125 p/sqm

Full Brick individual house low quality $1410-1520 p/sqm
Full Brick individual house high quality $1985-2140 p/sqm

Thanks Pete.
Could you please help me in understading the difference between Low Quality and High Quality Building. Is it just the fittings, low quality carpets compared to Floor Boards etc...
Thanks in advance :)

Wow! :eek: That is much more than I thought. My development may need to wait another year or so for the end vals to make it worthwhile then!

Pete, thanks for the information.

Back