Container Shed Homes

Haha I have a converted demountable in St Marys.

54sqm+ outdoor areas. ALL costs inclusive $60k for approx. $260 return (not on market, using it as base for other construction tho have had offers).

Looks nice on the inside. Hideous on the outside. I suppose I could put cladding and make it nicer.

Not sure I'll do one again. My life goal is to change the way we build homes in Australia. Sure it meets a lot of criteria, but I'd prefer not to deface the street in the process.

Some mining friends lived in them. They said it got really hot and stuffy.

I put insulation in mine and aircon. Works well actually.

Yeah without any insulation it would be an ice bucket in the winter and a microwave in the summer.

How did you insulate a container? What material did you use?

Mine was a demountable so not quite a container.

I used bunnings insulation batts. Nice and thick between outside and inside walls. Pre existing insulation in the roof and could put some in the floor under the building if need be.

For a container I suppose I would build an interior frame and gyprock, place insulation in between (would need to research the best type).

Add a lot of extractors to the ceilings and some crazy aircon.
Haven't looked into it. There are quite a few in Newcastle.

I have lived and worked in containers, in both extreme heat and cold. Ranging from +55 to -50. Given they are a relatively small size, heating and cooling is easy enough with central heating or air cons. In those conditions it almost doesnt matter what the design is, its going to cost $$ to keep it warm or cool.

Containers wouldnt be the most economical choice though, unless you managed to get the container for a bargain. At $3-5k its going to cost you $15k-20k by the time you have 'dressed' it up, insulated it, put internal cladding, air con, heating and power. And you end up with... well...a container.
Add several of them together and you can have a small office/house. However, a major issue is that they have very low ceilings (for living) and are narrow.
Yes - you can stack them, however, cut walls out and they lose their structural integrity.

You could build a stratco shed, with a nicer external finish with higher ceilings and similar insulation properties for a similar price.

Blacky

You could build a stratco shed, with a nicer external finish with higher ceilings and similar insulation properties for a similar price.
Blacky

Agree. I didn't mention that sentiment. For a little more I could have built a pretty nice well constructed granny flat myself.

I paid a lot for the sheds tho $27k. So dressing it up, foundation, electrical, plumbing, approvals etc. Was the other $33k.

Not sure if any of you have seen this yet, don't imagine it would be any cheaper than other methods of construction for a house of this scale/finish but interesting none the less.

http://www.realestate.com.au/blog/house-made-of-31-shipping-containers/

I'd love to buy some (acerage) coastal land, turn one into a little self sufficient holiday cabin using solar power, rain water harvesting and some sort of waste treatment on board so as that I could move it around the property as I please, would be like holidaying in a different place each time.

Other options....

Greg_Dumpster-1150-200x300.jpg

dumpster-project.jpg

The Dumpster project

I was somehow trawling Dongas on Gumtree and yes there are some pretty good ones when I found this and I started drooling

NHG this is soooo you!

At $135k it's not cheap but it is a 3 x 2 and very stylish. It would make fantastic house.

$_20.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/malaga/other-real-estate/fox-eco-home-foldout-house/1062986204
http://foxtransportables.com.au/design/FOX-ECO-HOME/

I'm salivating.

My partner drove me to the EXACT location where she wants us to buy and build a house. Gordons bay next to Clovelly beach. We have till 2018 at the latest to make it happen.

I'll see if I can convince her to build something like that next to our 'neighbours' place.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-clovelly-118320123

I'm gna have to work on my ability to enrol her.

I'm salivating.

My partner drove me to the EXACT location where she wants us to buy and build a house. Gordons bay next to Clovelly beach. We have till 2018 at the latest to make it happen.

I'll see if I can convince her to build something like that next to our 'neighbours' place.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-clovelly-118320123

I'm gna have to work on my ability to enrol her.

Wow that is simply the most beautiful spot. It wouldn't matter if you had a dumpster on it, I'd be happy :) The council and neighbours well maybe not.

Amazing how the plan I linked basically fits into a 40ft container and then on site becomes a house. Bloody fantastic! Also if built on stumps is low impact on the terrain.

There was a Container Home built on Grand Designs. I think it was the Australian version of the show, but I couldn't tell you which state it was in. looked great!

Back