Convert study into bedroom

Searches for threads on this idea show relatively complicated situations e.g. adding walls, not having natural light, moving washing machines etc.

I've found a potential IP that has a 2.5 x 3m study that can be converted into a bedroom by simply adding a door. It already has a window with natural light (not sure if this is a requirement or not.)

I know strata approval is required for removal or modifications of walls, but what challenges do I face in simply bolting a door on and calling a previously n-bedroom apartment an n+1 bedroom apartment? Are there some documents (title?) in which the changes must be registered?

There is a minimum floor area to consider to call a room a bedroom. I don't know what that dimension is, but someone else in your state will know.

Be keen to see if there is some kind of ruling.

When i sold my first PPR it was a 2 bedroom unit + 1 room that had no windows (just a ventilation system). I sold it as a 2 bedroom.

Neighbour had a similar setup, marketed and sold as a 3 bedroom.

RP data now records that place as a 3 bedroom. My old place is still classed as 2 bedroom and deemed to be valued at less... even though floor space is still the same.

As far as a i know, strata didn't give a hoot what it was called. You gotta remember, most people in strata are just ordinary people, they don't know. The strata manager is just as clueless (most of them anyway).

I've also seen plenty of properties listed with bedrooms that size. It seems them norm now. Seem some go as far as 2.2x3m classed as bedroom on RE ads.

Yeah you need a window in a bedroom to comply with the building code of australia. The window size needs to be min 10% of the size of the room for natural light, and the openable part of the window 5% of the room for natural ventilation. Other things to consider is that a smoke alarm needs to be outside a bedroom and isn't required outside a study. No idea how real estates get away with calling it a room without a window!

Also as far as I am aware I have never come across a minimum bedroom size in any building code, standard or regulation. It's definitely not the case in QLD and NSW but I can't speak for the other states.

I saw a RE ad the other day for a flat in the inner west with a bedroom smaller than that described as spacious. I'll see if I can find it again.
Scott

I know strata approval is required for removal or modifications of walls, but what challenges do I face in simply bolting a door on and calling a previously n-bedroom apartment an n+1 bedroom apartment? Are there some documents (title?) in which the changes must be registered?

The erection of the wall will require council approval. The submission for DA may trigger a BCA upgrade to the entire building (making you the most popular person on the body corporate).

The strata plan only shows the boundary walls of each lot not internal walls.

The erection of the wall will require council approval. The submission for DA may trigger a BCA upgrade to the entire building (making you the most popular person on the body corporate).

The strata plan only shows the boundary walls of each lot not internal walls.

That's what I thought about strata... they only have the boundary, floor area, units of entitlement etc. No internal details.

So erecting a wall requires council approval, but what about just adding a double sliding door?

This is the floorplan of the study...

a8486c1bd9.png

A door as you suggest probably won't require approval however the room created doesn't have appropriate ventilation as a door is not a window for ventilation purposes.

A door as you suggest probably won't require approval however the room created doesn't have appropriate ventilation as a door is not a window for ventilation purposes.

Are you certain that's a requirement? It's trivial to find properties with bedrooms that do not have windows, e.g. bed 1 & 3 here:

73544b3df7.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack. I know if a similar situation and also requires some clarification.

- House and Land package bought with original plan as 4 Bedroom.
- Last minute decision to convert one bedroom to study therefore just not building the wall and not putting the door. easy fix.
- Now the house is built and lesson learned that 4 bedders are more popular.
- Considering now to add a wall and a door (handyman quoted $1,800 to do the job)

Q's:
Do we need to inform council of this?
Do we need any form of approval first before going ahead?
Price seems fair?
Not enough info?

Thank you!

Cheers!

Back