Is there a price difference between a bedroom & a study?

Hi All,

Looking at buying a PPOR and found a place that appears to meet all of our requirements.

However looking at the original building plans, and subsequent renovation approvals, it appears that the house originally had 4 bedrooms with a study, and somewhere along the line the current owners have converted one of the bedrooms into a (massive) ensuite.

On the approved plans for the ensuite, the house officially now has 3 bedrooms and a study. The study is actually quite a good size, being only marginally smaller than the other bedrooms, it has a large window, small built-in cupboard, has a normal ceiling height, and for all intents and purposes looks like a bedroom.

My question is does the fact that it's a 3 bedroom plus study, make it any different price wise from a 4 bedroom house (with no study)? The price guide for the property puts it well into the 4 bedroom price range and I'm concerned that we might overpay for something that we'll be forced to sell as a 3 bedroom plus study later on.

I've not run into this issue before, though I'm not even sure it is an issue! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes having fewer bedrooms will affect the price (downwards) BUT you now have an extra bathroom, which will affect the price (upwards). So probably not much in it either way.

Thanks Propertunity.

I forgot to add that the original floorplan did include an ensuite, though it was one of those really small early 80's ones where it's only a shower-width wide.

Even so, come time to sell your 3brm + study, just put a single bed in the study and call it a bedroom. No-one will know any different if it is a decent size.

Even so, come time to sell your 3brm + study, just put a single bed in the study and call it a bedroom. No-one will know any different if it is a decent size.

Very common. If it can fit a bed and has a door it can be a bedroom. More bedrooms = more value in most cases.

Very common. If it can fit a bed and has a door it can be a bedroom. More bedrooms = more value in most cases.

Are there not legal requirements for a window in a bedroom?
Guess it probably doesn't matter if its just a sale.

Are there not legal requirements for a window in a bedroom?
Guess it probably doesn't matter if its just a sale.
It matters a lot. It's illegal to label a room that doesn't comply with the Building Code of Australia requirements for a habitable room as a bedroom.

I suspect it's precisely for that reason that it's labelled a study, and it may not be a problem for you, but I'd still want to know what it is about the room that prevents it being called a bedroom. It could be ceiling height (is it on a different level?), it could be that it doesn't have adequate ventilation, or a number of other reasons.

A habitable room as pointed out must comply with the BCA, a kitchen, hallway, ensuite, bathroom, storeroom, laundry, garage aren't classed as habitable - these rooms can have a lower ceiling.

A fourth bedroom would be better than 3 however other elements come into play eg second bathroom/ensuite, second living area would add even more value.

Thank you for all the replies!

I've measured the room and as far as I can tell it could be classed as bedroom. I guess I've got two further questions as a result:

1. If the room has all the requirements to be classed as a bedroom, why was it originally sold as a 4 bedroom plus study? Wouldn't the builder have been better off selling it as a 5 bedroom, or are there other implications in doing this?

2. If I were to submit plans for a further renovation (the house would really benefit from installing a pergola on the back), could I update the status of the room to officially be a bedroom at the same time, or is there really no point in doing this?

Back