Converting second living area into 4th Bedroom

Just wanted to ask everyones opinion, we have a near new family home (18mths old), it is 3 brm, 2 bath, SLUG, large living area off the kitchen (3.5mx7.5m=26m2), it also has at the opposite end of the house a second living area of 5mx3.5m=18m2.

I am trying to think ahead both in terms of functionality for us and also rent return if we were to move out in a year or so, whether it would be better to keep it as a 3bed,2bath,2living home, or convert that second living area into a bedroom so we have a 4bed,2bath,1living home.

It would cost about $2k to put the wall up and paint/cornice, plus we'd need to put in a built in robe. The flooring could either stay tiled which is what the rest of the house is (except the other 3 bedrooms, which are carpet) - that way if a tenant wanted to use the room as a 2nd lounge room I guess they still could, and I spose most tenants would hopefully not be all too fussy having a tiled bedroom for the 4th bedroom when the other 3 are carpet, this is in SE QLD although it does get a little chilly in winter (near ipswich). Or we could rip the tiles up and put carpet in, seems a waste though that they are practically brand new. It would be a slightly odd shaped bedroom, being ~5mx3.5 when the other smaller bedrooms are 3x3.3m, but maybe that'd be a good thing to have a bigger bedroom as a feature.

So given the floor plan/fact we are limited to a single garage, and distance to bathrooms and stuff, do you think it would be a mistake losing the 2nd living area? Or look like a winner getting this 4th bedroom? I see houses renting for $360-370pw for 3 bedrooms, the 4 bedroom ones mainly go for $400. I'm guessing a 4th bedroom is going to get more people through the door both when renting and eventually when selling too.

I have attached the rough plan.

Attachments

• 4bedplan.jpg
    4bedplan.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 268
We are probably going to convert a tiny bedroom to a second bathroom. It is almost a joke sized bedroom and the agent has told us that four bedroom houses generally need a second bathroom and second living area due to being rented to people needing four bedrooms (ie. families or several singles).

Our IP has only one living area (lounge/dining combined) and a tiny bathroom, so we are happy to "lose" the tiny bedroom. We believe renters in our area are more interested in second bathroom than tiny bedroom.

I would think a couple of agents in your area would tell you what they think would rent more easily.

That would make a quite big bedroom, but without an ensuite its not really a replacement for the current master.

If you were going to do it, either put in an ensuite, make it a normal size bedroom plus a seperate study nook, or just put in a wall and double doors so that tenants can use it either as a bedroom or living room at their own choice.

I agree with Dave - a simpe wall and door gives the tenant the option to use the room how they like. For that reason I wouldn't put robes in - if the room is used as a bedroom, the tenant can simply get a wardrobe.

I third their opinions. Don't put in a BIR. just wall and door. Don't do floor coverings.

If it was my place, I'd also be walling around the patio and making that a games room, but that's a different story.

I really love bedrooms with double doors and I think it would work heaps better for a possible lounge/games room or whatever to have double doors too. eg
http://image.shutterstock.com/displ...d-bedroom-suite-with-double-doors-3265353.jpg
Like others have said I wouldn't bother putting in a wardrobe. I wouldn't bother ripping up the carpets either. I would put a rug in matching the rest of the house. If you have a sample of your carpet from the rest of the house, (or can get a small sample from a shop, etc) my friends sells cheap rugs (made from ends of rolls of carpet etc.) and he may be able to match it seeing it's a fairly new house. They've been at the Woodridge Markets every Sunday lately - if you are interested I could double check for you if they are still doing the markets every week.

I third their opinions. Don't put in a BIR. just wall and door. Don't do floor coverings.

If it was my place, I'd also be walling around the patio and making that a games room, but that's a different story.

If your target market is families, which in the area, I suspect it is, I would leave it as is.

If it's students and share, then I would make as many bedrooms as possible. I'm sure you could get two rooms out of that lounge. What about the garage and shed?

I am with the others don't bother with the wardrobe.

I would do double doors too.
Gives it the option to be a bedroom, lounge, office or media room

Do you have space to add to the garage and make it a double?

Back