Coorparoo 150million redevelopment approved

Qld govt has just approved a tender by Honeycombes Property Group for a $150m redevelopment of the old Myer site in Coorparoo. Includes a busway station underground. Not sure how many stories yet but is zoned for 15.

More to come

Qld govt has just approved a tender by Honeycombes Property Group for a $150m redevelopment of the old Myer site in Coorparoo. Includes a busway station underground. Not sure how many stories yet but is zoned for 15.

More to come
Do you think that it will spread all the way back too the Gabba along logan rd there seems too be lot of multi level development from Coorparoo at least the transport is worked out and may well bring some life back into the stones corner strip..

I hope this helps to revitalise the Coorparoo junction. It is sadly neglected and there is nothing to appeal to anybody to go there.

It is zoned to do so. 15 storeys at coorparoo there, down to 9 at Mcdonalds, then down to 5, back up to 9 at easts heading up to 25 at logan rd at buranda

There are a thousand on units going in on the one site in logan rd backs onto Ipswich rd where the car yard is.

Coorparoo Junction was slated for a suburban centre improvement project before Oxford St in Bulimba in the 1990's but then they put it on hold because of the imminent busway.

Nobody has wanted to spend money since.

Picture attached, 3 towers looks to be 20ish storeys, this is taken from the Harries Rd side not the Old Cleveland.

Attachments

• ca-tod-wide-20130717142551802477-620x349.jpg
    ca-tod-wide-20130717142551802477-620x349.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 200
More: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...nsit-oriented-development-20130717-2q3ln.html

Quoted below:

The old Myer building at Coorparoo will be transformed into a major mixed-use facility by the end of next year under a new $150 million plan approved by the state government.

Honeycombes Property Group has been appointed to redevelop the site, acquired by the government for $50 million in 2009, into a transit oriented development, or TOD.

In announcing the contract, Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney said the Honeycomb development would include new transport infrastructure and public space.

There will also be retail and residential options available.

TODs are fast emerging as the preferred option for major urban renewal projects in Brisbane, and the Coorparoo plan is in a similar mould to developments at Milton and Yeronga.

Such developments are popular because they encourage private sector development of public goods, such as upgrades to public transport facilities.

“It is important we continue to see economic development across the state, with the Coorparoo Transit Oriented Development (TOD) a prime example of what we can expect to see," Mr Seeney said.

“The $150 million redevelopment will see the delivery of improved public transport infrastructure and a public plaza on the corner of Old Cleveland Road and Harries Road.”

The transport facilities included in the development are set to bring the realisation of the long-awaited Eastern TransitWay – formerly known as the Eastern busway – one step closer.

Last month, Infrastructure Australia flagged support for a state government proposal to build a $50 million, 1.5km inbound bus lane along Old Cleveland Road from Main Avenue to Bennetts Road at Coorparoo.

But the TOD will include new residential options as well as public infrastructure.

Member for Greenslopes Ian Kaye said there would be a mixture of residential apartments and terrace homes along with around 1,500 square metres of new retail and office space.

“This development will support Brisbane City Council's Eastern Corridor Neighbourhood Plan and reinforce our objective to develop land around key transit nodes,” Mr Kaye said.

“We have long been waiting for development in this area, as the tired site has been dragging our businesses down.

“The appointment of the Honeycombes Property Group means this area will once again be a focal point for the community.”

Astraland and Leighton Properties also tendered for the project.

Council's Eastern Corridor Neighbourhood Plan is a joint project between council, the Department of Transport and Main Roads and Department of Infrastructure and Planning, and it has been on the cards since 2011.

According to the statement issued on Wednesday, the Myers site will be cleared by December next year.

The development will be delivered in three stages with the first stage expected to be completed by the end of 2016.

Picture attached, 3 towers looks to be 20ish storeys, this is taken from the Harries Rd side not the Old Cleveland.
Thanks for that with the way easts r l club has up graded their carparks,
and all the multi story developments along Logan rd,there is not too many
areas into the city left,Moorooka will be built out or tightly held,and inbetween you have stones corner and all the vacant for lease shops

Not sure. Would love to hear PeterW's impression. He is the Coorparoo Real Estate guru on here. Has been a great agent in that area for many many years.

just bumping an old thread, I was also curious as to the unit values if these apartments go up?

I believe that long term, the value of the area will increase but only if the area is revitalised successfully to the equivalent of bulimba. However, short term values may decrease due to the supply created?

They started on the earthworks for the 15 storey one down cav rd today though.

This myer site is still held up in DA. They have not responded to the info request (attached).

They have changed from Urbis to Place Design for their planning team though.

Attachments

• coorparoo redvelopment info request.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 200
Hi Darryl. I only now spotted this thread. Thanks for the Guru comment. I thought that was only in my mind .. :)

The status is ... West End to Coorparoo was identified as the next Urban Renewal Corridor, after the last one being Herston District. You must remember, the Brisbane City Council were told by the State Government, that they should plan for population of greater Brisbane to grow by xxx number of people over the next 20 or so years. The council have been very proactive in that regard.

About 4 or so years ago, I was one of the 200 odd people that were part of the local consultative group, and in April I think it was last year (or the year before) the final plan was (after being agreed to by council was sent to the State planning minister) was signed off.

http://eplan.brisbane.qld.gov.au/?doc=Part7LocalPlans

This section deals with Buranda to Bennets Road.

It limits the development to "sections" along the main road, not all the way along it.

Yes, the big one will be the old Myer Site, however we also have the old Coorparoo Scott Hall site on Cavendish Rd (11 storeys with some 190 units) the St Leonards Site with 8/9 storey's and 150 units, and now still in planning, some 490 units on the old Myer site (maybe up to 20 storeys).

I do believe this will be the catalyst foe the renaissance of the Coorparoo Junction, as well as the surrounding areas. The industrial zoning on the northern side of Old Cleveland Rd is now residential.

What will it do for values of properties in general in the area, well what happened to our first urban renewal corridor in the grungy Fortitude Valley, then the next one around that dreadful industrial suburb of Teneriffe.

Yes construction will be a pain, but will it bear fruit ... ok ok ... I know some one will say sour grapes. I will let you decide.

On the consultative committee too. Definite guru cred there.
It will be completely transformative.

The scout site can do 15 storeys under the plan. Ground works seems to have started there today.

Back