Corio & Norlane

G'day,

We're a 31 year old couple with a newborn currently living in Melbourne. We have an investment property in Perth that is close to neutrally geared and are now looking to purchase a principal place of residence here.

Our rationale is that interest rates are at historic lows, the home owners grant for existing dwellings is soon to be abolished and I can get a heavily discounted home loan through the financial instituition that I work for. As we'll eventually move back to Perth we are keen to diversify into Victoria whilst we are here and can observe the market.

The plan is to live in the PPOR to qualify for the grant (probably for a few years) and then when we move back to Perth to convert it into a investment property. We are targeting capital growth over income. Hopefully the growth will occur whilst the property is PPOR so we can minimise CGT.

We've identified Corio and Norlane as a place of interest for a number of reasons. These reasons include:

- City of Geelong is growing and I don't see very good growth prospects in Melbourne versus regional Victoria
- Can commute to Melbourne. Only one of us will have to as my partner will be a stay at home Mum.
- Afforability (we're targeting $200,000 and under) and low risk - If I lose my job we could still service the loan whilst job searching
- Government is attempting to gentrify the area with the New Norlane project etc.

With affordability becoming less and less in Melbourne I believe that cheaper alternatives such as Corio and Norlane will see good growth. We would try to get an older house on a larger block such as a minimum of 600sq metres to effectively "land bank" for a few years. Later on we can sub divide or sell up.

How does everyone see these two areas performing? We are under no illusions, there is a lot of stigma attached and we've received many negative comments from friends regarding crime, unemployment and safety. I also understand that many people believe it will take a few generations before this area improves. There's also concerns about Australia's competitive edge in manufacturing declining and we've seen this in Ford and Shell terminating jobs. No need to go easy on me, I can take it.

I just feel the whole affordability and supply issues will ensure property growth here. For those that know the Perth market, we were going to do the same thing in areas like Girawheen and Balga a couple of years ago. My understanding was that the sprawl up and down the coast and the West Australian dream of living by the beach was not sustainable. Areas slightly inland with an "ugly duck" status had to catch up. Balga and Girawheen have been hot the last six months.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks in advance for the input!

I'd spend 300 in portarlington before 200 in Corio or norlane

Yes they are cheap but so is werribee hoppers crossing and Dallas
Yet Melbourne is much more expensive than Geelong

JacM would be the right person to talk to regarding Crio and Norlane. I'll ask her to jump on and respond.

Hi there,

I am not a fan of Norlane. Lots of fibro and lots of social welfare infrastructure being introduced. I am not keen on investing there, and certainly would not deliberately reside there with a young child.

I am a big fan of Corio assuming you are in the right areas. Corio is a great performer.

If you plan to convert the IP to a PPOR it is essential to get the structure right from the beginning to ensure you enjoy maximum tax breaks later on. We see people all the time who have stumbled on those early hurdles and pay for it later.

Regards,
Jacqui Middleton
Buyer's Agent
[email protected]

Hi there,

I am not a fan of Norlane. Lots of fibro and lots of social welfare infrastructure being introduced. I am not keen on investing there, and certainly would not deliberately reside there with a young child.

I am a big fan of Corio assuming you are in the right areas. Corio is a great performer.

If you plan to convert the IP to a PPOR it is essential to get the structure right from the beginning to ensure you enjoy maximum tax breaks later on. We see people all the time who have stumbled on those early hurdles and pay for it later.

Regards,
Jacqui Middleton
Buyer's Agent
[email protected]
im sure you know the area better then I do, but in my quite extensive research, the suburbs being right next to eachtoher , and the fact that norlane being closer to town, and with corio having not so great area in the north east near plantation road, id say theyd be on par,

and if I had to toss a coin, id still go for norlane, corio has a slightly higher % of investors vs owner occupiers

from a rental pespective its pretty much toss a coin as well, in terms of desirability

I have an ip in west norlane, weatherboard on a 656sqm flat land , decent yield (if you consider net 5.5 % as one). not sure of CG though...
I chose as my first IP coz of low entry price...

but you are right the DHS is gentrifying the area with parks,new construction in norane...and corio is next door.

for under $200K ?...if add another $50 to $80K..(will add what 20$-40$ to your mortage each month ?)

You can probably squeeze out a house in craigieburn / hoppers / werribee south / tarniet ? have you checked those areas ? or even Wallan (can take a V-line i think) ?

good luck..would be curious to see which way you go

Werribee will always be worth more than Norlane/Corio, it's the pick of the bargains in Melbourne imo.

Thanks for the advice thus far guys.

We're attempting to keep budget to $210,000 or less with a big block so Werribee and Hoppers Crossing are just out of our range.

Can JacM or anyone else narrow down the areas or streets of Corio/Norlane that are undesirable?

By the way, has anyone had any issues with subdivisions with special building overlay on properties on the flood plains in Corio?

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice thus far guys.

We're attempting to keep budget to $210,000 or less with a big block so Werribee and Hoppers Crossing are just out of our range.

Can JacM or anyone else narrow down the areas or streets of Corio/Norlane that are undesirable?

By the way, has anyone had any issues with subdivisions with special building overlay on properties on the flood plains in Corio?

Cheers!

It sounds like you have convinced yourself on these areas because it's all you can afford. At the end of the day these are suburbs behind industrial areas in a large country town. I don't see it jumping ahead or growing at a rate better than the rest of Geelong.

Have you considered interstate? Plenty of better options

Also the first home owners is 7,000 which the value of can be eaten up by just one year of below average growth on a 200k property

What I'm saying is , don't factor it into your decision

You could also look for a rennovater in a better part of Geelong. Fair bit of money can be made if you keep to a low budget

I spend lots of time in Geelong and its suburbs. Like anywhere else, there are more desirable areas and there are less desirable areas. Just as you would in any suburb, you see different things in different parts of town at different times of day and night. Things you cannot see from afar on Google StreetView, or on the odd visit. Behaviours you observe among people at their local shops. In each of the suburbs, there are streets I wouldn't buy in at all due to troubled demographic, or traffic noise or whatever. Norlane is indeed closer to Geelong centre (than Corio), but my goodness it has its problem areas. To illustrate the gravity of this, there are parts of Norlane that Property Managers will not go after midday. Norlane doesn't enjoy having a central shopping complex as Corio does ... just those little strips of shops. Little strips of shops don't tend to be as well presented as a shopping centre. A shopping centre has a Centre Management that ensures things are kept tidy and presentable. I guess you're a product of your environment, and if you're accustomed to seeing well-presented things you're more likely to keep things in good shape at home. Wander around Corio on the weekends and you see just what you'd expect to see of good people - folks doing the gardening and mowing the lawns, shuffling the kids off to their sporting pursuits, or coming home with the grocery shopping.

There will always be a million different opinions on any given topic - and opinions on suburbs is no exception. If you are investing in an area, as long as opinion is backed by some good reasons why you feel the area will do well, and that the dwelling you are planning to invest in will help you reach your goals and not cost you a fortune in maintenance, then all is well :D

This. I grew up in Geelong (bleh!), in Grovedale, but grew up with friends who were mostly from Norlane and Corio. Norlane always has been and always will be a hole. Jacqui is right - Corio has good pockets, but you need to know the area to identify them.

Steer well clear of Norlane mate, it is the worst. One part of Corio I like (and would maybe consider living in, if I had to move back to Geelong, is the pocket down near the Sports Centre on Anakie Road, the Coakley Crescent side. One of my friends' parents has a house there, it's pretty nice.

This. I grew up in Geelong (bleh!), in Grovedale, but grew up with friends who were mostly from Norlane and Corio. Norlane always has been and always will be a hole. Jacqui is right - Corio has good pockets, but you need to know the area to identify them.

Steer well clear of Norlane mate, it is the worst. One part of Corio I like (and would maybe consider living in, if I had to move back to Geelong, is the pocket down near the Sports Centre on Anakie Road, the Coakley Crescent side. One of my friends' parents has a house there, it's pretty nice.

What happens if you venture on to the other side of the oval ...!

We don't know. Nobody ever came back.

I know JacM personally, she definitely knows Geelong areas well. Has a few properties there herself. I don't invest in Melbourne and surrounds, but would look at Corio myself after having done some research almost a year ago, not so much Norlane.

Oh, you get sucked into Bogansville. If you escape, you're forever afflicted with a mullet, Centrelink cheques and a car that is more front lawn decoration than utility.

Nah, some people in Norlane are good people, but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Many thanks to everyone for their words of wisdom and advice.

We looked at a few properties in Norlane and one in Corio during the week. They fell short of some of our key criteria so we'll see how we go.

One observation was flying around the streets on motorised bicycles seems to be the cool thing in Norlane at the moment!

Every suburb has it's own "good pockets" and "holes". The same goes for Norlane and Corio.

The majority of the Norlane property from the North Shore Industrial Zone all the way to the east side of Thompson Road was constructed by the State Government to cater for the shortage of housing during Geelong boom era. Most of them have remained to be public owned. This is the rougher area of Norlane.

The houses in Norlane West (starts from the west side of Thompson Road and runs all the way to Anakie Road) are privately owned and are in the nicer area of Norlane. Norlane West has a shopping centre called "Bell Post Shopping Centre" which was originally known as "Meadowvale SC" with the Sports Centre right next to it.

Corio is in a similar position. The older houses within the Cox Rd-Princess Hwy-Plantation-Princess Rd perimeter zone were originally owned by the government. Some have become private but most are leased out by the state government. Compared to Norlane, Corio has more Medical Clinics, more schools, better sporting and recreational areas and a larger shopping centre. Corio Shopping Centre is much larger than the Bell Post SC and was once known as the largest in the Geelong suburban areas.

The nicer area of Corio is in the west part and starts from Princess Road and runs all the way to Lovely Banks (Matthews Road). Most of the houses are privately owned, although the government purchased a few houses from the private owners in this area and leased them to the public during the 90's.

If it was up to me - I'd pay a bit extra and go for a property in North Geelong, Hamlyn Heights, Bell Park or Belmont and ahead Corio or Norlane.

PS - Coakely Crescent doesn't fall under neither of the two suburbs, it is part of Lovely Banks - not Corio.

for the locals or active investors in the area?

has the recent ford announcement put a dampner on prices in teh area yet or activity in auctions???

I see that every agent is advertising blocks of 600-750sqm as "development potential"

some even claiming you can put 3 dwellings on a block,

I think its all a bit of buzz words being thrown around, and overinflated hype

I think considering Geelong as a viable investment area for CG as ludicrous. With Ford shutting down the town has virtually no reason to go anywhere but down in value over the next 8 years...

Back