corner blocks

i am very new to this forum and if this has been covered before sorry.

i have been looking for IPs with a bit of land in inner suburbs. when it comes to a 'corner block' what is the usual premium for it? 20%? 30%?

i tell you i detest corner blocks with a passion...additional mowing, additional traffic and noise..

my best mate however love them as there are less neighbours usually.

personally i can value a corner block and higher than a normal block but each to their own..

i flatly refuse to spend an extra hour or so each week, extra fuel and wear and tear on my mower and snipper on behalf of the council who own the land..........call me tight in this regard!

ps; just read that thread that prop posted...one poster makes note of being able to have two driveways..technically i think you will find most councils will not legally approve two driveways...

as a sideline did you know: you are suppose to reverse into your driveway and drive out when you leave?? Thats the law at least in Qld...not that most of us do it!

food for thought if you have a copper living next door who doesnt like you! :)

i am very new to this forum and if this has been covered before sorry.

i have been looking for IPs with a bit of land in inner suburbs. when it comes to a 'corner block' what is the usual premium for it? 20%? 30%?
Lots of good info in the threads from Prop's link. All comes down to the specifics of each block.

One good deal I saw last week was worth an extra 30k-50k over comparable blocks in the same area (490k instead of 440k I estimate based on street and condition of house) due to the corner and subdivision potential. Lazy selling agent who almost definitely knows better had it listed too cheaply and it sold straight away before hitting the internet in a flat market. Plenty of competition for these blocks.

thanx prop for the thread and all u guys for the replies, i was searching using the search in the forum website without much luck. google was better.

yeah lots of good info there now to read. haven't read all of it but it amazes me how much people disagree on this.

the reason i got interested was also related to the multiple driveway thing mentioned somewhere in another thread: i saw a block did exactly that with excavated carparks under multiple townhouses facing the same street like a gun barrel. i didn't think that arrangement was possible with the council but that street being a no through road (a short court) may have had something to do with it. and therefore there was no side driveway required. very little setbacks as well and the new development looked really good with maximal use of the land available.

does the price closely correlate with the available land for building after taking in consideration of set backs? in terms of $/m2?

also saw another sold the other day and although no traffic lights that one had a bus stop right in front but still sold for a huge price.

with read more tomorrow. 208 threads.....

From experience in NSW, most councils are a lot more relaxed in applying the development rules on corner blocks i.e setbacks, floor space ratios ect

You have to run your feaso on any site. There are so many variables that come into play so, I say no, you can't put any extra value on a corner block just because it is one. I have developed on 2 corners and one normal so far. On the current corner block I decided not even to use the 2nd street for driveway access for the 2nd house but still claimed the allowable reduction in side setback for the development.

Evaluate the total package rather than one aspect which may or may not be of benefit. :)

Pah, corner blocks. I just almost sold one with TWO corners, undevelopable. I have my eye on another corner block but it isn't subdivisible. They're not *all* developer's dreams.

My grandparent's house is a perfect subdivisible corner block in an extremely good location in Whyalla but it hasn't hit the market yet. I can almost guarantee that when it does, it will go to an investor, snapping up a deceased estate. The house is a 1950s fibro thing, it actually has 4 bedrooms though which is unusual for a house that age. Be good to see it flattened, I don't think my mother will like driving past the old house ... too many memories.

Back