Corporate Body/Strata Management Problems

My friend lives in a block of flats and they are having problems with one owner. He's aggressive, argumentative and disruptive at meetings with over talking, shouting and bullying tactics. He's also one of those people that quotes rules and regulations verbatim. There's just nothing friendly or nice about him.
He's been pushing for a new strata management company to be appointed that's cheaper and succeeded last night in sacking the existing company/they also resigned because they can't handle him anymore. He also got himself voted in as treasurer. The company he wants to appoint is ACG Strata Management. ACG have only been in business since 2009, have no website presence and very little information can be found on them. No-one knows if he has any affiliation with them.
Because of his behaviour less people are turning up for the meetings and those that do turn up are intimidated by him and are sick of the arguments - so he's getting his way by intimidation. He's actually talked about as being a bit psycho because his behaviour is so over-the-top.

My friend now has a couple of questions -
She has had a companion dog for the past 6 years living with her which was approved by the (previous) Strata Management when in fact 'no dogs allowed' is the rule. Where does she stand on this at the moment and when a new strata management is appointed. Will she have to re-apply for permission to have the dog?

Is there anyone they can complain to about his behaviour? Council? The police? Anyone? Or are they on their own?

She (and a few others) also want help in ways to fight him.
I've sent her the 'whois' and ASIC info I can find on ACG.
I've downloaded and sent her the Strata Schemes Management Act 1969 to bone up on.
And written a letter for her (if she needs it) to ask about keeping the dog.
I've also written an item to be added to the agenda of the next meeting in regards to expected behaviour at meetings and possible consequences.

"That everyone attending the meetings of the body corporate and/or strata management be given fair opportunity to speak and be heard. That anyone disrupting the meetings by aggressive or threatening behaviour, or dominating the discussions with shouting, over talking or bullying, shall be asked to cease their unruly behaviour immediately, and a warning shall be given that continuing this behaviour could see them ejected from the meeting. If the said person persists in their unruly behaviour they are then asked to leave the meeting. If this action needs to be implemented and If the said person holds a position on the Body Corporate Committee, then discussion will then follow as to whether a vote of no confidence should be implemented and the person removed from their executive capacity."

Can a person be voted off in a vote of no confidence because of personal behaviour or does it have to be behaviour relating to their position on the committee? (in which case I'll re-word the item).

What else can they do? All info appreciated.

Ta
Olly

So he's "aggressive, argumentative and disruptive at meetings with over talking, shouting and bullying tactics"

Question is, what is his motive?
Is he trying to save money? Spend money? or Save money for everyone, but when it comes to him, he wants to spend money?

You need to ask yourself the question

Would you rather someone pretend to nice, rally support, but have an underlying motive and is ready to stuff you up when its right?

(I had someone like this in my strata, smooth as, but if analysed everything that happened, it was like a club, you followed his orders, you got special benefits, you object to anything, he would make it hell for you).

Or would you rather someone like this guy who may have genuine motives and is trying to keep everyone's best interest in mind, but isnt the best communicator?

As for getting rid of the strata manager, there can be several reasons for this
1. The guy dislikes the strata manager
2. The guy thinks the strata manager does a crap job. Unfortunately he cannot explain this well enough to everyone else who lives in the unit block and the strata manager is a smooth salesman who convinces everyone everything is ok, but continues to snake on his duties.

(This is based off experience, my last strata manager was like that, and everything he did was straight out of the textbook of a used car salesman)

If you guys go ahead with the strata manager, you can impose conditions such as a 1 year contract so that if the strata manger stuffs up you can out them with ease.

As for the dog. Just tell your friend to keep their mouth shut and lay low. It was approved previously and unless another meeting is held to get rid of it, she can continue to keep the dog.

'Strata Wars'

Strata Management [or Body Corporate Management as it used to be called in NSW and still is called in VIC & QLD] is a messy place to have a power struggle. I can understand the previous SM deciding to let go. A Strata manager's job is essentially to do the delegated business tasks of the Owners Corporation which is a corporate body made up of the lot owners of a registered strata plan. Owners Corp Bullies are commonplace. Unfortunately, not as common as the silent passive easy going lot owner that understands why the levies keep rising.

There are many possible options but no definite solutions:
Hire a stronger willed SM to put the bully in his place;
Garner support amongst the other lot owners to overthrow him;
Become his closest friend and confidante -(keep your friends close and your enemies closer); or
You could do what a lot of people do, sell up and move on.

RE: the dog - if it's not in the by-laws you are not likely to get a sympathetic ear from anyone really. The correct path, of course is to submit a motion for the next meeting to have the by-laws amended to allow companion animals to be kept at the lots. This is usually very difficult to get up.

Happy to provide further advice if you need.

Owners Corp Bullies are commonplace. Unfortunately, not as common as the silent passive easy going lot owner that understands why the levies keep rising.
Thats because the easy going ones that understand why levies go up usually:
1. Get sick of being walked over by the manipulative people in owner corp
2. When they try to voice their opinions, they get painted by the manipulative people in the owner corp as "bullies"
3. Which is why they then decide to move it.

In my opinion to survive in strata you either got to be

1. Prepared to accept the changes made and throw money at the problem to make it go away (also never argue or voice your opinion) or
2. Be a manipulative snake and get your way

Really being in strata is no different to being in management in the corporate world. Lick a$$, be a backstabber, lick more a$$, back stab some people some more :)

I know a few strata managers, and ive yet to meet one that really like their job.

Lord - he sounds like a treat!
Firstly, call the Office of Fair Trading. They can advise the next steps you need to take - If there are issues within an Executive Committee, the tribunal also hear these and will assist in conciliation.
Secondly, how do the rest of the owners feel about this particular owner? He needs to be voted in, which tells me that he has support from somewhere?
Lastly, if you need a referral to a good strata agent, please message me - I'm in the Eastern Suburbs but have worked with some great Strata Managers over the last 10 years that I would be happy to refer you to.

Back