Cost effective ways to rejuvenate concrete & tiled floor

Hi,

We ripped up the carpet on the ground floor of our Queenslander and discovered that the floor is partially tiled and partially concreted. The previous owner laid 5cm square tiles in the living area, and left the study area untiled, thus showing the bare grey concrete.

We intend to lift up the house in the next 5 years, and in doing so, will require the whole ground floor's concrete & tiles to be ripped out.

So in the mean time, I am looking for COST EFFECTIVE ways to make the ground floor look good without costing too much.

We don't want to lay carpet again in fear of the ground floor suffering water runoff from the higher neighbour's ground - that was the reason we had to pull out the carpet in the first place.

We have asked for a tiler to retile the entire ground floor. He said that he has to rip out the existing tiles, grind the concrete smooth so that he could lay the new tiles properly. His quote for labour alone was $7000. Tiles would cost about $3000.

What materials can we paint or spread over the concrete and tiles to make them look good/clean but would not break my purse.

Cheers,
PM

For a short term solution - $100 worth of oil based paving paint (not the water based stuff - it is hopeless). Apply with a roller on a long stick.

Seconded from me

I agee with the previous two posts.
Berger jet dry has a good selection, and yo could also talk to Resene, based in Geebung, seeing as you are based in heaven on earth, you may be too far nrth :p tipping Daintree way lol

good luck

Today, I was made aware of a product called flowcrete, which you can spray over the existing concrete.

Has anybody used this stuff before?
How easy is it to use?
Is it long lasting?
Where can we get it?
and how much does it cost?

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers
PM

Back