Cost of building just one townhouse !!!

HI there,

We have a large block - 696 m2 and are looking to build a townhouse in our backyard. We would create a separate title for both residences and ultimately sell both. The house we live in is in very good nick.

Just wondering what we would expect to build a 3 bedroom townhouse with medium quality finishes for. This includes a new driveway shared by our house and the townhouse.

Realistically would it all come in at 200K or under for just one townhouse - all inclusive ?

Can't help with prices in Victoria but I am doing a 3 bedroom villa 2 bathrooms one garage 14.5 squares in size dual occ and it will cost about 180k with 2 driveways, fencing, retaining walls, sewer line and basic landscaping.
Probably your council would have different requirements to mine though.:confused::rolleyes:

200k sounds like plenty to cover your costs especially if you go for a standard project home design. If you have to design something to specifically suit the parameters of the site then you will be up for more costs due to the design/architect work and a non standard plan. Go visit a display village or two and take your site plan with you to show the sales consultants. You may need to consult a town planner or otherwise spend some time researching the DCP to make sure the site conforms for development of a dual occupancy.

200K sounds good ? I hope so...I am thinking it would be fairly straightforward because it is a normal rectangular block. Its a blue chip area so the townhouse alone would sell for minimum $550K.

I was wondering what you think about going with someone like Metricon ? They do dual occupancy designs.....I suggest this only because it is our very first build. We are very savvy with property investment - but we have not done a build before....

Go and see them. But go and visit others as well to compare designs and prices. A lot of them will have websites to show off their designs.

Metricon in our area are one of the more expensive project builders. I don't know if they're a franchise or not?

see council

One of the first things you should do is visit your local council and have a pre-application meeting with a town planner, it's free and will save lots of heartache and trouble.

I work as a planning complaice officer for a Melboure Metro council (victoria) see many applications knocked back or required amended plans because the applicant did not consult council first.

Simle things like setback, open space, overlays, SLO, VBO, HO and existing canopy tress need to be considered.

I would take a rough design of what you want to council first, that way they can tell you your conditions and overlays and also provide an aerial photo of your land to assess certain aspects.

Being in a blue chip area I suspect local residents would keep an eye on local developments, so seeking what council desires for the local area may also prevent any time delays with objections at advertisin stage.

Thats good info thanks. There are quite a few dual occupancies within 1km radius of our house - including 2 townhouses being built side by side in our street a couple of houses down. Also - a few houses down are 2 other townhouses side by side.

Our house is too good to knock down which is why we are considering building the other one at the back.

Thats good info thanks. There are quite a few dual occupancies within 1km radius of our house - including 2 townhouses being built side by side in our street a couple of houses down. Also - a few houses down are 2 other townhouses side by side.

Our house is too good to knock down which is why we are considering building the other one at the back.

Thats good, sounds like your council or local residents don't have a problem with dual occ/subdividing in your area.

Just be careful with your setbacks, which can determain how you place the dwelling on your land. Can effect of design in terms of sun direction, room placements etc...) Privacy screens etc...

No big existing canopy trees (usally over 5 metres or 0.5m circumferance around truck). Can be removed if an aboroist reports the tree was dead, dying or dangerous.

Do you have a seperate driveway crossover for this dual occ? things like car spaces will come into question.

The best thing I have found is many applications now are being presented with a report of the local area, recent developments, etc....almost like a proposal. Some draft/planning consultants can do this for you. It's not required but can get you on side with your town planner and save them some time and effort.

If you don't want any delays, do all this before hand to save all the amended plans which I see so many people having to do afterwards.

Hi

COuld you please PM me your builder details

Thanks In advance
MAnish

Can't help with prices in Victoria but I am doing a 3 bedroom villa 2 bathrooms one garage 14.5 squares in size dual occ and it will cost about 180k with 2 driveways, fencing, retaining walls, sewer line and basic landscaping.
Probably your council would have different requirements to mine though.:confused::rolleyes:

doing one in canberra , different rules , but its cost the owner about 230k, solicitors, and all for the seperate tittling and all, allow for another water meter and gas, this home is batelaxe block and has cost me heaps to built it???

I don't think that any of the major project builders build townhouses. I think Metricon have a duplex design. A friend of mine was looking at doing this with a rental her parents own. Her place would be the townhouse on the sub divided block.
She had to engage a custom builder for the townhouse.

Project builders don't generally build anything which is not straightforward and simple. Most will not build on a fall of over 3 meters on the building envelope. I think from what I have seen, in regards to frontage, the smallest plans I have seen is for 10 meters.

Check out local custom builders or boutique builders who can offer the flexability of changing plans to suit.

Which blue chip area are we talking about in Melb?

Mentone I have been quoted around $17000 per sq

I don't think that any of the major project builders build townhouses. I think Metricon have a duplex design. A friend of mine was looking at doing this with a rental her parents own. Her place would be the townhouse on the sub divided block.
She had to engage a custom builder for the townhouse.

Project builders don't generally build anything which is not straightforward and simple. Most will not build on a fall of over 3 meters on the building envelope. I think from what I have seen, in regards to frontage, the smallest plans I have seen is for 10 meters.

Check out local custom builders or boutique builders who can offer the flexability of changing plans to suit.

Which blue chip area are we talking about in Melb?

Back