Cost of lining walls

I was wondering how much it would cost to line a room with 3 walls made of single brick with timber frames and gyprock (space approx 6x6m) to make it legal as a bedroom?

Hi Peta
Not exactly sure what you mean here i'm thinking you want to line your brick walls if so you can just glue Gyprock straight on to the bricks with appropriate glue from any Gyprock supplier. I've done a few walls like this and never had a problem. It will save on timber costs. If you need wiring behind the electrician can just chase it in before hand. They do this with a special tool that cuts a grove in the brick. It will save on timber costs.
On the legal side you should check with council as I am not sure where the room is but I have a number of bedrooms like this in my PPOR.
Cost wise I wouldnt think it would be all that much a few hundred dollars should cover the Gyprock cost.

Peta gyprock is quite cheap. If you can do it yourself, then a few hundred dollars will do it. Is is a garage you are converting? Does it need council approval in your area?

If i glue gyprock straight onto the walls it is not considered legal for use as a bedroom - or so I have been told on another IP with that setup - 5th and 6th bedrooms were approved as a rumpus and stroage room and only had gyprock glued straight onto the walls (no timber frames) - builder and engineer inspections stated that is not legal and means the room is not exactly weatherproof.

In terms of council approval I have heard that I do need approval and also that I dont so now I am very confused lol! :confused:

If i glue gyprock straight onto the walls it is not considered legal for use as a bedroom - or so I have been told on another IP with that setup - 5th and 6th bedrooms were approved as a rumpus and stroage room and only had gyprock glued straight onto the walls (no timber frames) - builder and engineer inspections stated that is not legal and means the room is not exactly weatherproof.

In terms of council approval I have heard that I do need approval and also that I dont so now I am very confused lol! :confused:

I am not a builder, but I have seen it done where you glue/nail narrow battons to the brickwork & attach the gyprock onto that. Much more cost effective than doing the whole framework thing.

As for council approving it as an additional bedroom or not, are they really going to come & check on what it is used for? I saw one house with an attic conversion that was used as a bedroom, but they had to list it as an observatory as it wasn't the correct height for a bedroom. Didn't stop them using it as one though. Mind you, I am not recommending this course of action, only demonstrating that I am aware that it happens.

With council approvals to do the conversion, I think this differs depending on the council. I have heard that some are very demanding, while others will let you do what you please (within reason, of course).

I am not a builder, but I have seen it done where you glue/nail narrow battons to the brickwork & attach the gyprock onto that. Much more cost effective than doing the whole framework thing.

I'm not a builder or carpenter but I would be carefull attaching battens & gyprock directly to a brick wall unless the brick walll is load bearing (has piers). If the brick wall isn't suitable, the battens and gyprock could damage it and possibly break it.

Well if I am looking at doing the conversion to add value to the property I want to do it so it can actually be advertised as 6 beds not 4 otherwise I will have people trying to negioate the figure to compensate the lack of lining in the walls. It cant legally be used as a living area. I know ppl do it as another house I almost bought had done the same thing but its not weatherproof without the lining. Truth in adversising and all that!

Peta
You didnt specify where or what your walls were so now I gather some are external walls which do need timber frame work. These walls are block I am guessing otherwise I doubt approval would be given for single brick on an external wall. I have been involved in construction for 20 yrs and it is a fairly simple job to do and never had a problem glueing Gyprock to internal walls. As Skater said you can also fasten 20mm or so batterns and attach to them also for internal walls.
Generally for external walls you would have your brick wall then 50mm gap then timber frame and Gyprock. Just get someone with building experience to check it out and follow up with council.

thanks I will do that and yes 2 of the walls are external and the 3rd is actually cut out of the ground and is kind of acting like a retaining wall for the house.

Another problem I have just been advised of is the need to line the cement slab so that it doesnt allow rising damp and this is needed to make the bedrooms legal. I dont know if the house is young enough to have the membrane in place already or if I have to add one and then re-cement over the floor and then replace the carpet again. :confused:

Help!

Back