Cost of paint and materials?

Hi all

Need to buy paint for a three bed house, which includes:

two hallways, eat in kitchen, dining room, living area, three way bathroom, separate laundry.

Need to paint a couple of doors only; no other woodwork (skirtings etc) requires painting as these are stained.

So - what does paint cost for a 3 bed house?

thanks
monalisa

On a budget

Undercoat: $5.5-$7 per Litre x 15L
Wall paint: $5.5-$7 per Litre x 15L
Ceiling Paint $6-$7 per Ltire x 10L
Oil Based High Gloss $8-$11 per Litre x 4 L

Paint brush kit: $10
Rollers+trays: $10
Drop Sheets $20 or free if you use newspaper
A bit of sandpaper: $5

There is a dirt cheap shop in sydney in the south (i can give you the address if you want)

Something like that! obviously if you want expensive brand paints, the above will increase by at least 30%

There is a dirt cheap shop in sydney in the south (i can give you the address if you want)

Something like that! obviously if you want expensive brand paints, the above will increase by at least 30%

Thanks!!

I think we may buy from close to the IP.

We were thinking Taubmans or Dulux.

~$700 for 3 coats. Dulux.
~$1000 for all the above + some shmick tools and lots of sticky tape
(don't go cheap on tools, trust me).

- 2x top coats 20L;
- 1x ceiling coat 20L;
- 1x small 5L for skirtings.

It's the labour that costs money.

*edit* I definitely pay more than truly exotic. I don't bother with undercoat, it's not that much more expensive and it makes my life easier. You will have a lot of paint left over with my suggestion, but 1x top coat 20L isn't enough for 3 coats at a 3 bedroom place. I've used $10 brush kits and rollers. Never again. I use the much more expensive ones, you'll notice the difference straight away.

You should be able to get it professionally painted including paint for $3000.

6 year warranty on paint & workmanship.

I just got a 3 bedroom villa painted last week for that price - paid from LOC.

Cost to me $180 ($3.46 per week) less tax deductions.

Money well spent

~$700 for 3 coats. Dulux.
~$1000 for all the above + some shmick tools and lots of sticky tape
(don't go cheap on tools, trust me).

- 2x top coats 20L;
- 1x ceiling coat 20L;
- 1x small 5L for skirtings.

It's the labour that costs money.

*edit* I definitely pay more than truly exotic. I don't bother with undercoat, it's not that much more expensive and it makes my life easier. You will have a lot of paint left over with my suggestion, but 1x top coat 20L isn't enough for 3 coats at a 3 bedroom place. I've used $10 brush kits and rollers. Never again. I use the much more expensive ones, you'll notice the difference straight away.

Thanks! this is very helpful. I am trying to digest some of this painting jargon hahah lol

You should be able to get it professionally painted including paint for $3000.

6 year warranty on paint & workmanship.

I just got a 3 bedroom villa painted last week for that price.

Hi Rick - is that the Wentworthville one you got painted?

$3,000 incl paid sounds cheap - I think it will go just a bit over.

Hi Rick - is that the Wentworthville one you got painted?

$3,000 incl paid sounds cheap - I think it will go just a bit over.

No..its a Perth IP.

Prepared, filled & sanded then painted all the walls, ceilings, doors & door frames in Dulux paint supplied by painter.

3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry, entry, hallway, lounge, kitchen, dining, family & storeroom. 115m2 total internal area

I painted a 3br + lounge, dining kitchen a while ago. Looking at my coverage calcs at 14sqm/litre, it was 24 litres of top coat, 15 litres of ceiling white and 15 litres sealer undercoat as I was going over strong colours. That was 2 coats ceiling and walls, excluding sealer.

I use Taubmans everywhere.

More importantly how long did it take them?

6 days. Started Monday last week & finished Saturday.

Colours were Ceiling White, Snow White Walls (satin sheen), Doors & Frames Snow white (gloss) x 25% strength.

A nice modern neutral colour scheme.

That's cheap Rick. My 3br villa in Sydney cost $3750 inc GST by professional painters and that was apparently a cheaper deal they did for me!

Tip: Do not buy the Nippon paint GraysOnline sell. Even at $9/4L, the paint isn't worthy of undercoating with.

I've used Taubmans Tradex range as the undercoat for walls and ceilings as they were the cheapest available. Then whatever brand for 2nd and 3rd coat.

Doors are most likely oil based, so grab Taubmans 3-in-1 or Zinsser to make life easier.

Do not skimp on painting tools (brushes and rollers).
They will determine how easy it will make the painting.

We recently painted our PPOR. It's a 4 bedroom house, 2 bathrooms, two living, meals and dining. We painted two coats in every room, plus doors and ceiling.

Hubby previously worked as a painter however he didn't have any tools or paint so we had to buy everything. We used Dulux (Professional) and just purchased all paint and tools from Bunnings. It cost about $700 all up. That includes purchasing a tub of black paint for some feature walls.

Timely thread! The rental I live in is 10years old and the landlord is currently replacing roof tiles to fix the mould issue in our 3 level townhouse, and we're desperate for an upgrade so I was thinking of offering to paint the downstairs living areas (open plan kitchen/dining/living room) and potentially the stair well if the landlord agreed to pay for the paint/supplies and agree to consider our color choice... He's a reasonable landlord so may agree if I point out the tax deductibility benefits of improving while we're in there, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the raw end of the deal by offering to sand, wash and paintX2 everything just for the sake of a breath of fresh air at our place... (Was also thinking I'd love to buy 2 new light fittings with his permission but don't know if I should bother spending money on a rental).
Thoughts? Would you let your tenant paint if you had a good relationship with them, and you thought theyhad ttheir head screwed on right?

Thoughts? Would you let your tenant paint if you had a good relationship with them, and you thought theyhad ttheir head screwed on right?

I wouldn't let a tenant paint - as I don't know whether they know what they are doing. We saw a property last year - the tenant had painted all blue, including the brick feature walls - looked horrid!!

But your case may be different - having lived in the place for a while.

What does it mean from future rental increases if the place is freshly painted?

I would also add if you wish to continue residing for some time, I would just ask the landlord re changing light fittings, and paint, you do not want to be feeling uncomfortable where you are living.

Back