Cost of Window Screens/Blinds Whole House

I am about to make an offer on a brand new house that's already been built, in it's current form it does not include window screens or coverings.

How much should I allow for this?

There are 9 small windows and 5 large windows - all are sliding variety. (3bed2bath home)

I was thinking standard aluminium framed fly screens - allow $600 (supplied/installed)
Blinds - verticals - allow $2,500.(supplied/installed)

Is this about right? Could also look at diamond mesh security screens and/or white plastic venetians or aluminium stainless steel venetians, but prob heaps extra $$?

Sliding screen door to backyard - I costed at $400. (supplied/installed)

Would i be better asking the builder to do these extras, or do it myself and take it off the purchase price?

Hi :)

Your costing is pretty close :)

Where are you?? Hubby and I do screens/blinds and prices vary vastly around the country.

DON"T get the builder to do them..they buy off companies like us and add a profit for making a phone call :)

Window glazing calculator

Sorry for minor distraction but on the similar topic:
I'm doing an extension to my PPOR, and council asked me to submit the windows planning as per the latest glazing calculator. When I asked different window supplier for the options and quote, none of them provided me the exact solution, instead they just quoted cost for single glaze and for double glaze. Can somebody guide me to the cheap and best solution.
There are 3 windows, 2 off 1500X1500mm and 1 off 900X900mm.
I big facing West and rest 2 are facing East. There is no concession for the insulation for this extension and the area is 52 m2. And the West facing window has full shade on it from the attached carport.

Sanjay

Please, don't do it - these are an aesthetic crime. If you need the security, go for crimsafe-type product instead.

Agree to disagree :) Woven Stainless steel mesh is MUCH MUCH more expensive. Fine for a PPOR but I wouldn't spend the $$ on a rental unless you have a really nice view to protect.

I have woven stainless on my sliding balcony doors that have a view and diamond grille on the windows that are covered with blinds/curtains.
One tip is to get the diamond grille in black and it helps it disappear.

We have a few people get woven stainless on the front of the house, and diamond grille on the rest to create a "street look"

I am about to make an offer on a brand new house that's already been built, in it's current form it does not include window screens or coverings.

There are 9 small windows and 5 large windows - all are sliding variety. (3bed2bath home)

I was thinking standard aluminium framed fly screens - allow $600 (supplied/installed)

Is this about right? Could also look at diamond mesh security screens and/or white plastic venetians or aluminium stainless steel venetians, but prob heaps extra $$?

Would i be better asking the builder to do these extras, or do it myself and take it off the purchase price?

9 small windows + 5 large windows = blinds installed for 2,500?

Agree to disagree :) Woven Stainless steel mesh is MUCH MUCH more expensive. Fine for a PPOR but I wouldn't spend the $$ on a rental unless you have a really nice view to protect.
Well, I think we agree that the woven stainless steel mesh is preferable, just disagree on whether it's worthwhile for an IP. I just can't bring myself to use the diamond mesh stuff, even on an IP. But hey, I'm admittedly sometimes pig-headed about aesthetics, rather than pragmatic. :eek:

Arrrgh!:eek: Did someone mention aesthetic crime?? You should be able to get holland (roller) or slimline venetians for this price.

Organise this yourself. Blinds is an area with so much competition it really isn't hard to find a good deal.

If you are in Queensland,Ipswich area,possibly Brisbane,(Just ring)

Mad about House are the best people for the job.
I got the cheapest price I could off the internet for verticals,delivered and I fit.
I got a quote off Mad about House and their price came in the same and they fitted :D

They even added some aluminum blinds to the wet areas and external doors glass for the same money.

I wouldn't look any where else :rolleyes:

Mad About House
26 Brisbane Rd, Bundamba QLD 4304,
Phone number(07) 3816 2355

Well I went to spotlight and priced silver aluminum venetians which I really like $$450 will do the entire house.

On a side note there are some windows 1800 wide by 600 drop, 5 windows like that in lounge areas. What's everyones opinions of these high, slimline style windows?

Venetians, roller, verticals, lace curtains? Some people I have spoken to think they are designed so you have no blinds/curtains on them as the height of them already makes them private enough??

Last edited:
Venetians, roller, verticals, lace curtains? Some people I have spoken to think they are designed so you have no blinds/curtains on them as the height of them already makes them private enough??

If they are high ones like transom windows I'd probably leave them and it looks neater without cords or whatever hanging down. if you do want to cover them I'd use plain roller blinds. This might be necessary if the windows let in a lot of direct sunlight straight onto the plasma TV or something.

If they are high ones like transom windows I'd probably leave them and it looks neater without cords or whatever hanging down. if you do want to cover them I'd use plain roller blinds. This might be necessary if the windows let in a lot of direct sunlight straight onto the plasma TV or something.
I agree with Ms Jade - I'd go for roller blinds, or even Venetians, depending on which room it is. If it's a living room window facing south, you may not need anything, but almost any other type of window will need to be "blockable", not for privacy, but to protect the TV and furnishings from sun, or to be able to sleep in the dark (if a bedroom).

Edit: Given that all the other windows will be aluminium venetians, I'd do these windows in the same, to match.

Hi dammit,

I regularly refer my clients to http://www.cheapa-blinds.com.au/ who make all sorts of blinds - timber blinds, venetians, roller blinds etc. and they deliver nation-wide.

Jump on their website as all the pricing is there so you'll be able to work that part out reasonably accurately.

They are pretty good quality and deliver in a timely manner. You need to measure up your windows yourself, order the blinds on-line and then they are delivered to you to install yourself.

You can also request a colour sample (one blind blade or a snip of material for example) before committing to any particular product.

Re: which style to go for; you really need to look at the style of the house before advising on which type of window covering is best. Think about not only what is required from a practical point of view, but also consider what they look like within the room itself as well as from the exterior. I often use timber blinds for instance to improve/modernise the effect on the exterior of a house. See the difference blinds can make over curtains??...

AFTER
House%20reno1%20-%20AFTER_2Big.jpg

BEFORE
House%20reno1%20-%20BEFORE_Big.jpg

Re Diamond Mesh Security screens. I must say I agree with Perp - that they are an aesthetic crime. However, they are quite practical - ugly as they are. To keep your costs down, you could use these on a few windows around the back of the house (not visible from the street) in bedrooms and perhaps the lounge. I'm not saying it is the thing to do - just a way to compromise if you need to. One way to reduce their impact on the aesthetics of the house is to use a dark colour as opposed to white or a light colour which really stands out against glass.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone know a cheap firm for wooden venetians either in Geelong or Melb. Was just going to do my usual and go to Spotlight

Please, don't do it - these are an aesthetic crime. If you need the security, go for crimsafe-type product instead.

Aesthetics aside, does anyone have costing for diamond mesh grilles?

3x large, 2x small windows and 2x single doors?

Thanks,
Natalea

Back