Council Refuses to Repair Sewers

When it happened last time the tenants gave their notice. They have been in the house for eighteen months but felt that having the drains back up three times was too much. They have a toddler and they worried about the baby's health. When the drains back up the area around the drain floods with what normally flushes down the drain. :eek:

I have renewed all the plumbing on this property and council virtually admits that the problem comes from their sewers. Council has added an exstension to my drain outlet in an attempt to fix the problem but it has had no effect. They also advised the tenants to call them first if any problems developed. Don't call a plumber and don't call the landlord! :confused:

It has been going on for five years or so. Everytime I complain council indicates that something will be done. I now feel I have really lost money in the way of rent, devaluation of the property and the cleaning expenses. What I would really like is for council to fix it's faulty sewers!

Do I have to amend my plumbing further to adapt to the existing sewers or should council renew their infrastructure? :eek:

Are you the only one in the immediate area having problems? If it's happening to a few people maybe collective action/protest. Maybe talk to environment protection authority. Write to some councillors. Write to the Ombudsman

Hi plumtree, simply put it in writing to the council. They'll probably do nothing if 'official' correspondence is not recieved. I know its frustrating, but I wouldn't threaten just yet. Explain the problem, how you/tennants have been affected in the past (how many times, the actual experience, complaints from tennants etc), and further state that 'apparently' the council is aware that it's their problem. Ask for it to be fixed. Be up-front, but courteous.:)

Tell them when you will be in contact again (after what you consider to be a reasonable amount of time - maybe two weeks (10 full business days).

If there's no response send another letter and tell them you have been forced to take action and you'll be seeing a Solicitor. Repeat facts above (stick to facts, not 'feelings' a much as you can...). Not that you WILL see a Solicitor...

CAVEAT: Are you SURE it's their problem? You might find out it's your's (I sincerely hope not!). With the first letter ensure you are playing nice - just in case you all eventually uncover that 'technically' it's something about plumbing on your property. I'm not questioning your story - it's just nice to be ABSOLUTE about it so you know next steps and are not worried about things you might not have completely checked out.

Cheers,

PS. Just had another thought. The council might have asked the tennants to call them first to actually SEE the problem. Our neighbour had a BIG problem with stormwater flooding her downstairs in times of heavy rain. The council asked her to call them immediately it started flooding so they could trace the problem. It worked. They found the stormwater in a sub-division directly behind her had not been properly done. It was fixed quickly with all happy. OK, so they might 'sound' guilty, but they might also be trying to catch it as it happens to deal with it. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your ideas and comments. I will write again to council asking for repairs to be made. Part of the problem lies in the fact that they do 'something' and I have to accept that as a successful repair until it happens again. The problem may not manifest itself for another six months. This cycle has been going on for the five years I have owned this house.

There is little doubt that the problem stems from council sewers because we have renewed the 'house' plumbing. Before renewal we were faced with plumbing bill on every incident because the blockage caused our drains to block.

One more try!:mad:

Back