Cowboy Bathroom renovator

I had a quote yesterday for a bathroom refit, no moving of pipes basically, i go out and buy the bath, shower and vanity and tiles/taps for it to be fitted and the cowboy quoted me $9K,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anyone think that is a bit steep or is that the going rate?

yep thats about right, what colour was his hat Black or white , because you have to stay clear of the black hat wearing cowboys,;)

$9K Really?

After the plumbing was added (shower) and the walls resheeted we paid a tiler $2K to apply waterproof membrane (whole room), put in bath and tile shower, floor, side of bath, walls. Toilet and shower screen put in separate. Hubby put vanity in and taps on. I didn't think that was cheap. Maybe I'm wrong. Smallish bathroom (but big enough for a shower plus bath, toilet, vanity).

Attachments

• bath7.jpg
    bath7.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 123
with out seeing your existing bathroom or knowing what materials/ quality your after i would quote your reno as follows

disconnect elect and plumbing - $500
strip existing fittings and tiles - $925
4m3 bin for duration - $400
patch repair render if rqd - $500
rewaterproof - $650
tile/grout floor and walls full height - $1600
electrical fittoff excl. fittings - $600
plumbing fittoff excl fittings - $1100
install shower screen - $250
patch and repaint ceiling $500
pm 1.5 week $3520

dam im already upto $10500 and havent allowed for contigency or margin yet looks like the cowboy wins the job

do it yourself and get a plumber to plumb the pipes...do it for half the price easily....bathroom renovators are robbers....

its dead easy to renovate and get tradies in to finish off...

I had a quote yesterday for a bathroom refit, no moving of pipes basically, i go out and buy the bath, shower and vanity and tiles/taps for it to be fitted and the cowboy quoted me $9K,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does anyone think that is a bit steep or is that the going rate?

Seems a bit steep, but depends on the size of your bathroom.

I was quoted about the same for a similar job, but everything included, i.e. demolition, retiling, lighting, bath, shower, vanity etc.

My bathroom is a similar size to travelbug's.
I got quoted $3700.
I did what I could to rip out the bathroom (bathtub, half the tiles, toilet, sink, shower). Half the tiles were tiled on top of tiles on top of tiles and was a REAL pain getting off. Had my guy finish off the job for me.
He re-rendered half the walls and the entire floor, re-plumbed the bathtub tabs, capped off old sink taps, complete waterproof and tiled. Full length two walls and half height the other two.
Shower was an extra $450, custom cut and installed.
I purchased the tiles and he installed them for me ($400). Toilet ($250) and vanity ($180) I installed them myself.

Back