Cracked tiles

Hi all. This isn't our IP but our PPOR.

We have three cracked tiles and two 'hollow' ones. It is where we extended our house about 8 years ago where the two concrete pads meet.

When we originally had the tiling done we had no spares and a search has failed to bring to light any exact matches.

It is an area where two rooms meet (between family and games rooms) so a rug would look a little odd.

Anybody think of anything we can do? I've come up with a vague idea to cut out some tiles at this point and lay those pebbly tiles like you sometimes see in bathrooms (look like little rocks all stuck together) and then repeat the pattern at the other side of the room at the entrance to a small passage.

What do you reckon - dumb idea? Any better ones?

I don't want to re-do the tiling as it is a big area - games, family, dining, kitchen, entry, passage - and the cost would be a bit prohibitive when the majority of the floor (except for this little bit) is in perfect condition.

Would love to get any opinions. It's not a big deal I know - just the first thing I see whenever I walk in the house - white floor with black cracks!

Last edited:
I think your idea would look fantastic, as long as you tie it in with somewhere else, like you have suggested.

The other thing you could consider is finding some tiles that match or coordinate, and smashing them so that you can do a similar thing, but with mosaic.

You will possibly need to break some more tiles in order to make it look integrated, and not like you just shoved the pebbles in to fix a problem.

Maybe post a photo for more input.

You will find that there is a coefficient differential between the two slabs.

An expansion joint established where the slabs merge will allow for movement.

In the past the method I have applied to overcome the situation when components used are not centered where the slabs meet, ( 30% on one side 70% on the other ). I have fixed the smaller side using silicon and the lager side using the adhesive applied to the rest of there floor.

An expansion joint will also need to be established on the side where the silicon has been used.

Gerd

I also think those pebbly tiles look fantastic, they are very expensive when you add up how many sheets you will need though.

When I wanted to pebble one side and the top edge of my bath I was told the tile sheets alone (for me to tile) would cost me $450.

I then went and bought a big bag of pebbles for $33 and stuck them on individually. It only took me 2.5 hours and I think it looks better than if i'd have bought the sheets as you woud have seen the square sheet look.

Bronwyn.

You will find that there is a coefficient differential between the two slabs.

An expansion joint established where the slabs merge will allow for movement.

Gerd

Gerd

Thanks for this advice - but I'm a dummy - could you please explain what this is and the work involved?

Pebbly strips or similar

I'm glad you don't think this idea is a silly one. My husband looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned it, but I don't think he notices the cracks particularly.

I'll do a bit of research when I have time - either for pebbles, pebbly tiles or as suggested a totally different tile to use as a mosaic.

We have a dark blue splashback in the kitchen and the same dark blue as a feature wall - perhaps a tile in a similar colour would look good?? I'll post some photos if I can work out how!

Thanks all.

I like your idea of removing some tiles and laying a "feature". I've used similar techniques from time to time and it really can look like it's been done by design.
You will need to use a grout remover to remove the grout between the tiles you want to remove and the ones you want to keep. Otherwise you will have trouble breaking up the tiles without breaking the adjacent ones you wish to keep.
It's a bold strategy, but fortune favours the brave :)

I think any mosaic you do would look less "in your face" if it is the same or very similar tile. If you go a contrast you will really need to make sure it looks like you planned it, and didn't just fill a hole. You don't want it to look "bitsy" nor do you want to "break up" the room by a contrasting stip. (Of course, you may want to do this, depending on the layout of the room.)

Maybe do the whole width of the room one (or two) tiles wide. This would mean removing more tiles, but if you do it carefully, you could then re-use the tiles you take up and smash them up so that your mosaic "strip" matches exactly. What you lose in the smashing or breaking should not matter if you are going to use the broken ones for mosaic. You should have plenty of tile. In fact, you will probably have some left over due to the grout lines. Hope this makes sense.

To my eye, this would be much more subtle than a contrasting strip, but a photo of the room would make things easier to picture.

I do mosaic work, so smashing tiles in a towel wouldn't phase me, but if you are not confident, a tiler would take the pressure off you. He could even place the tiles so that the expansion joint will not cause more cracking in the mosaic bit. A job like that would not be too expensive, at a guess.

Yep Wylie, I hear what you're saying - that sounds like a great idea.

I'm thinking of booking in for a tiling course anyway, but in this case I think I'll get someone to do it.

Now just have to convince the boss.

Just a query - cos the tiles were laid on the diagonal - is it possible to cut a tile in half while it's on the floor so that the strip is squared off? Am I making sense?

I don't know about the cutting while on the floor. You could call a tile shop or tiler. Sorry, but I just don't know.

No problem Wylie.

I'll just attempt to find a decent tiler - I've had some bad experiences with tilers over the years! I think I could write a book!

Take care and thanks to you and everyone for assistance and ideas.

i agree with wylie - pick a tile that is in the similar tonings/colours/shades, but some that is also obviously different so that it blends without looking like a failed "match".

Ta Lizzie

The tiles are white gloss with a greyish haze (can't think of how else to describe it) running through them. From a distance they look white. I'll pick up some samples from a tile shop and put a few around.

I know what you mean - nothing worse than a match that doesn't!

Back