Cracks in new apartment walls

Folks, recently I’ve seen a number of near new properties (four or five years old) where the apartment building has cracks in the render. I’m talking about full brick construction where the internal render has cracks which range from numerous erratic hairlines to cracks up to a couple of mm in diameter which obviously follow the brick line (usually vertically so possibly splitting down the middle of every second brick) and can run for a couple of feet. This is in buildings which for all intents and purposes appear well constructed and don’t show any of the other usual signs of cheap materials or workmanship. Usually I’m seeing this in one or two places on the internal walls such as next to a doorway.

Short of the usual building inspection post contract exchange, I’d appreciate any feedback on what sort of due diligence can be undertaken to ascertain whether this sort of thing can pose a risk down the line. I assume there is some “settling” of a new construction but what would you deem acceptable and are there any major warning signs to look out for?

All feedback is most appreciated!

Sounds like movement of reactive soil. It's exacerbated by extended periods of dry (or wet).

If I were to hazard a guess, they'd start mostly towards the base of the walls and get thinner on the way up.

Guys, thanks very much for the info, very useful stuff. Looks like no major issues for the places I'm looking into but a building inspection will confirm that for sure.

A valuer may also return with a query if it's particularly bad. We recently had a client's valuer do just this, based on the number of settlement cracks on the strata building we were purchasing.

Back