CRC on "the windows'??

Hi All
Down at the good old harware store l over heard a conversation in the painting department, the chap was saying that you spray CRC on your windows before you paint the walls it will save heaps of time in masking and clean up.

Now, does one just spray the frames or the glass as well.?
And the over spray of CRC on the walls? l quess you have to clean this off?

Can anyone clear up this Tip of the day for me?

Cheers yadreamin.

yadreamin said:
Hi All
Down at the good old harware store l over heard a conversation in the painting department, the chap was saying that you spray CRC on your windows before you paint the walls it will save heaps of time in masking and clean up.

Cheers yadreamin.

As much as I love CRC and WD40, surely it would end up on the window frames and sills as well, a nice oily film isnt conducive to a good paint finish..

Yadreamin,

It sounds like a messy job to me.

The CRC will leave an oily residue on the window frame, glass and the wall.

I have my doubts about its ability to stop paint from getting to
the window, but it could possibly make it harder for water based paint
to stick on Hard on the window.

You will still have to clean up.

cheers

CRC is a product which was only just good enough for it's original job of restarting cars with wet ignition. I NEVER use on my gear. If I want an oil based lube, I use an oil spray. If I want to lube plastic in an open dusty environment I usually just clean it and put it back. DRY.

These products are just kero sprays, and kero is a friction agent which leaves a film which attracts contaminants. If you need to do something to plastic use "Armourall" which dries well but is silicone based.

I'm a little off topic there but why not just wipe the glass with any oil, bacon fat and lard included?

T

yadreamin said:
Hi All

Cheers yadreamin.

Yadreamin
Bollocks.

Best approach is good brush, little on brush at a time and take care.
I've painted heaps of windows.
Lplate

Hi Duncan,

I laughed for ages when I saw that “Start Ya Bastard” in an Auto shop once.

Try being neat if you paint near the glass. If you get paint on the glass use a blade scraper to get it off.
I’m usually fighting the rental clock so I go full throttle with painting window frames and then tend to the paint on the glass with the blade scraper (faster overall).

Agree with Cosmo on this one,
DIY - have tried masking & then cleaning the residue of the tape off with meths (if you leave the tape on too long or buy cheap tape it's a pain to get off cleanly although a scraper will remove it :) ) & have also tried not masking & just using a paint scraper once the paint's hardened. Found the scraper with a fresh blade the easiest & quickest.

Advice from a painter buddy once was that the scrapper was quicker, left a nicer line, & you didn't lift the paint with the paint you'd painted over the edge of the tape.

I've found this to be the easiest way, although paying someone to paint my house then ensuring my scraper had a ready supply of fresh razor blades to fix their mess was by far the best way :D

I've found a "cutting" paintbrush to be quite good in this regard. Bunnings doesn't stock the one I like- I think it's a "Spirit" brush, with the bristles on an angle. It makes painting into corners much nicer (that was a hint from a forumite).

It costs abot $15 and it's worth every cent.

Thankyou All for your handy replys
I am quite good at painting after 5 houses some a couple of times over.
The clean up is always a pain.
Yes l too have discovered those wonderful little scraper blades.
They are also great for getting bore stains off glass.
But l just could not get around this idea of CRC on the windows and frames to avoid over painting or splatter.
Just thought someone may have an insight of this method.
I will go back to the trusty hardware store and make some more enquiries.
Cheers yadreamin

Take care with scrapers, they can scratch glass. Not a great look.

CRC - even if it did work, what happens when it gets on the brush when painting?

I think there are heaps of yarns about products like CRC. A story heard recently (and sworn to be true of course) was that professional crab fishermen put CRC on bait to attract mud crabs. Hard to remain on the chair when you hear ones like that!

hi,

it is common within the industry to apply CRC or equal to aluminium frames and glass before bricklayers and renderers get too near them.

as to painting... i suspect any half decent painter would scoff at the idea.

rossv.

Hi,

To all the scraper advocates.. try holding a piece of laminate on the glass and running the brush and laminate down the window together.
Alot easier than scraping the paint off the glass!

Or you could always learn to paint properly .... :)

rossv

CRC or WD 40 is supposed to work exceptionally well. Haven't done it myself yet but a mate of mine is a painter and renovator.
Sprays the glass only with WD 40, then uses airless spray gun up to 50mm next to window, then uses a highlight colour to do the trims. Clean windows afterwards.
Said to be fast and efficient. His paint jobs certainly look the part.

Lplate said:
A story heard recently (and sworn to be true of course) was that professional crab fishermen put CRC on bait to attract mud crabs. Hard to remain on the chair when you hear ones like that!

Have used it on lures when fishing.Hasn't altered the catch rate though. :)

But seriously, i wouldn't totally write it off as a fish attractant.

all the best,
A86

Either stop drinking so yr hand stops shaking and you can cut in without the brush detouring all over the glass, or have a drink to steady yr hand.... :D (works for me.....)

agent 86 said:
Have used it on lures when fishing.Hasn't altered the catch rate though. :)

But seriously, i wouldn't totally write it off as a fish attractant.

all the best,
A86
Serious fishermen up here would never allow mozzie repellant in their boat. Seems it repels fish too.

T

Thommo said:
Serious fishermen up here would never allow mozzie repellant in their boat. Seems it repels fish too.

T
Thommo,

Considering you've got some serious mozzies, that would be serious. :)

Nicotine also a no no.

But CRC and WD40 not so sure. CRC even makes a spray called CRC Tackleguard esp aimed at Fishing Tackle.

all the best,
A86

After trying lots of different methods the fastest and easiest way, is to buy one of those big scrapers I think its imaginatively called "the big scraper" and most hardware stores carry them.
Im sure preventative measures work like tape, and being carefull and precise when painting (never worked for me!). I initially thought that the Wd 40 idea was rediculous but I have had a more indepth analysis of the idea, and maybe if you wipe a thin film on the glass with a cloth creating a very thin film of oily residue on the surface it could work OK, although its probably only of use when using a spray gun.
I find scraping paint off windows with a new sharp blade quite theropudic, as apposed to both putting on and taking off masking tape which drives me to despair, and in the approximately 50 windows I have used a scraper on I have only scratched one window, that was because I was using a blunt blade and consequently was using too much pressure.
The other possibility is getting a window cleaner at the end of a renovation to do what they term "a builders clean" it actually does not cost too much more than a normal window clean, and because these blokes do it all the time they are exeptionally fast.

Guys

A few comments on this topic

CRC/WD 40 - forget it!

If you do leave a few paint spots/splashes (yep its nearly impossible to do a perfect paint job )......please.....please....if you want to scrape the windows:

# THE GLASS MUST BE WET !!!!!

Do not EVER, and I mean EVER -scrape dry glass!

(fill your sink/bucket with warm water + dash of kitchen detergent, and literally wash the window with a sponge/rag/cloth etc -then scrape)

Daily I encounter windows, that either a painter or home handyman has tried to scrape -whilst the window is dry! ahhhh

Scraper recommendation -US made Ettore champion -you can buy from any cleaning supplier.See:

http://www.ettore.com/prod_scraper.html

Cheers

Sam

Back