creaking floorboards

Sabre,

There's quick & there's effective long lasting...

Carpet actually doesn't stop floor boards squeaking - if you put carpet over squealy boards you can end up with squeaky boards with carpet on top & it's harder to fix.

There are a few ways to fix them, depending on your access to the underside of the floor and whether you intend carpeting or polishing.

Here's a few techniques you can use:

http://www.bhg.com.au/home_improvement.nsf/Content/bhg_article_july01_floorboards

http://www.homedoctor.net/tipsfaq/13.3.html

Personally we fixed a floor we were carpeting & no base access - sheeting rather than boards - in this case we punched existing nails, renailed the joints & drilled holes to get glue into the joints of the worse areas.

We've also fixed standard boards with underfloor access that were to be polished - in this case we wedged the piers, punched the nails slightly & renailed bad sections that were not pier related.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

someone some time ago actually posted something about treating squeaky floorboards...i think the solution was to use talcum powder. Naturally though, this won't fix any structural problems on the underside of the boards, just stop that horrible noise!

Yup, I would try the talc trick first up. Sprinkle it over the located problem/suspect area. Put newspaper over and tred gently so the movement makes the talk work between the boards & in joints. Lift up the newspaper and vaccum the remainder away.

(newspaper is just so you don't traipse the extra through the house.)

With the drier weather I believe a lot of Sydney houses are having this prob lately... heard this from a tradesman recently who redid our floor.

Good luck banishing the squeekies... :D

I once rented a house where not only the floorboards squeeked, the walls used to crack as well. Honestly it was the noisiest house I have ever stayed in.

The house was in Tara, in western Qld in a 'melon hole' area and the houses used to move around quite a bit there.

Back