Credit card hack

Bank sent a txt at 11pm - attempted hack on my credit card (again) - so annoying as both mainly used cards now cancelled so no credit plastic for a week.

Immensely grateful the bank has such a sharp anti-hacking system.

Not sure how to further protect the cards - do pay a lot online, but only to legit businesses and use paypal or postbillpay if the site can't be guaranteed as secure (secure as in RTA or Council) - and never send the details via email or txt.

How often do your cards get hit? This has been 3 times in the last 5 years for me.

Had once via paypal, someone in Eastern Europe decided to do a random withdrawal. Disputed it and was returned promptly. Only scenario that i remember.

Yeah about 3 or 4 times in the last 5years or so

I use the visa debit for most online stuff now, there in never more than about $500 in there, unless I know I want to use it, then it is a case of transfer the cash across and spend it.

I have been hit twice in the last 6 months. One very rarely used and never online

A friend works in fraud Amex and she said they are just guessing the numbers and trying them out. One card was attempted several times before it was issued. It was fraud before the customer received it.

My last one they had issued their own copy of the card and took it for a walk in auburn, double bay, had a penchant for oportos and office works. Tested it out with a $2 office works purchase. Go figure how they got it when it is rarely used.

The other one was my main one. Very frustrating as have direct debits on that one. Each card resulted in hours of time. The first one hours of paperwork with st George with each transaction. Tempted to cancel that card. The other one, easy with westpac, but several hours updating direct debits.

I think the chip will stop it, but won't stop small pay pass fraud

You are usually always covered as the account holder.

It's the merchant that gets screwed with neither the banks or police interested.

We had someone recently attempt to purchase around $10,000 worth of goods with stolen credit cards. Ring bank, nothing they can do until the transaction occurs and the original account holder disputes transaction. Tell the police, nope need to fill in a report which will then be passed off to detectives.

Now if someone reaches over the counter and tries to take $50 out of the till I can have 2 police cars here in a few minutes.

I use the visa debit for most online stuff now, there in never more than about $500 in there, unless I know I want to use it, then it is a case of transfer the cash across and spend it.

Worth nothing - with visa debits if the card is fraudulently used your money is gone as it's *your* money and not the banks so you cannot dispute it. Also, if you do purchase something and it doesn't arrive or not as ordered and the merchant refuses to do anything about it you cannot dispute that transaction with the bank either as you would be able to do in the case of a credit facility.

I was just a random hit as they had the card number but wrong expiry date ... and the bank advised this particular "company" had attempted several transactions on customers cards recently.

Just annoying as have to reset everything that withdraws from it (paypal, insurances etc) ... and compulsory savings for the next week :eek:

However - have always been very happy with Westpac's anti-fraud system

I have 3 credit cards... all free with interest free periods. Each card has its own purpose.

I use one specifically for
- online/ebay transactions (also if i think the person who is swiping the card looks a bit suss).
- travelling overseas and online international purchases
- regular day to day use

Won't stop the fraud, but helps make monitoring easier :)

I tend to buy online using Amex via Paypal where possible. I like the idea of having a credit account for online usage but the extra points via Amex via Paypal is my preferred option.

My family gets hit quite often, at least twice a year. I think it has to do with the amount of overseas travel we do.

Never had a problem getting refunded by the bank. They have given me temporary cards with credit on it in the past.

Lately we've started to use travel cards, I'm yet to see if that makes any difference.

I have a sacrificial over the counter debit card I top up at Australia post. As I usually only put money on it when I know I am going to buy something that night they have a limited opportunity to get it :)

Back