Cruise - Anyone been on one?

Going on one with the family in a couple of months

8 Days, 9 Nights

Same time as me - I'm thinking P & O to coral Coast - really want to see exmouth and Broome. Haven't researched much though yet, first site I've viewed and getting my head around it. Sounds nice. Hopefully that's not cyclone season?

I love the idea! Much more then my husband does :)
But I think he finally agreed later this year to go and try... Thanks for all comments, its all exactly as I thought it would be.... so lets see :)

We're going on a Panama Canal cruise in a couple of months, from LA to Miami, then driving across the US back to LA.

There's one thing I'm not entirely clear on and maybe SSers can help me. Will we need visas for every country we port (e.g. Mexico, Jamaica, Columbia)?

I don't think we will but looking at the cruise site FAQs, it isn't entirely clear. I tried googling but that wasn't much help either as most cruise passengers in the Americas are American and different rules apply (to Mexico at least).

I read some nonsense that if you do an offshore 'activity' then the tour company will have your visas covered but if you don't do an 'activity' you need to get your own visa :confused:

Balconies?

I used to think I would go stir crazy in an inside cabin, getting claustrophobic. On the Alaskan cruise we had outside cabins with a huge window and no balcony and we were able to walk straight outside from the corridor onto the huge promenade deck. When we did overnighters on the Spirit of Tasmania, being inside didn't bother me as I either had my eyes closed or was in the shower, but I still don't think I could do it for a week.

I have not developed any need to pay thousands of $$ extra to have a balcony but other people cant live without one. On the European river cruise last year we went steerage class. We had a small window above my head height that was very hard to see out of for a shortie, but again I was only in the cabin to sleep or shower. There are plenty of decks and lounges to see out of.

I used to think I would go stir crazy in an inside cabin, getting claustrophobic. On the Alaskan cruise we had outside cabins with a huge window and no balcony and we were able to walk straight outside from the corridor onto the huge promenade deck. When we did overnighters on the Spirit of Tasmania, being inside didn't bother me as I either had my eyes closed or was in the shower, but I still don't think I could do it for a week.

I have not developed any need to pay thousands of $$ extra to have a balcony but other people cant live without one. On the European river cruise last year we went steerage class. We had a small window above my head height that was very hard to see out of for a shortie, but again I was only in the cabin to sleep or shower. There are plenty of decks and lounges to see out of.

The Voyager of the Seas has just had $millions spent on refurbishment. One of the upgrades was a virtual balcony fitted to the wall of inside cabins. Just like you are looking outside through a balcony sliding door with a live shot view as you are moving along.

We're going on a Panama Canal cruise in a couple of months, from LA to Miami, then driving across the US back to LA.

There's one thing I'm not entirely clear on and maybe SSers can help me. Will we need visas for every country we port (e.g. Mexico, Jamaica, Columbia)?

I don't think we will but looking at the cruise site FAQs, it isn't entirely clear. I tried googling but that wasn't much help either as most cruise passengers in the Americas are American and different rules apply (to Mexico at least).

I read some nonsense that if you do an offshore 'activity' then the tour company will have your visas covered but if you don't do an 'activity' you need to get your own visa :confused:

Hi I used to work on Carnival Cruise Lines over in the states in the 80's did it for 6 years and loved it. I really don't think you will need to worry about visa's. When you board you will give in your passports to the pursers office for the entire cruise. These are checked by immigration upon arrival in port before the ship is cleared to disembark if you are concerned just check in at a travel agent as they should be up to date on visa's etc.

We have also done cruises around the med as a family they are well worth it and great fun whatever your age. Sea sickness is all in the mind but if you do feel a bit iffy the best thing is salted crackers and fresh air watching the waves really does help. Or try and stay in the centre of the ship were you won't feel the motion too much.

Have fun my favourite ports in Mexico was Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. Other favourites were Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios in Jamaica and Bermuda.

Whilst we are talking cruises...has anyone been on the Cunard Queen Mary or Elizabeth cruises anywhere in the world?

If so what was it like? Is it worth taking one of the more grander cabins (i.e. Suites)?

Whilst we are talking cruises...has anyone been on the Cunard Queen Mary or Elizabeth cruises anywhere in the world?

If so what was it like? Is it worth taking one of the more grander cabins (i.e. Suites)?

No, but I have been on a 5 day house boat hire on the Hawkesbury River, best fun ever. Got drunk every day, tried to head out to sea but ran out of fuel along the way and had to get towed back lol,

The boat was basically a caravan on 44 gallon drums to keep it afloat. Whenever the loo was used it would stink the whole inside area so we banned anyone from using the loo lol,

I spent a lot of time on the roof the boat with 4 fishing lines out, also the roof was a great diving platform. But I'd love to be on the Queen Mary lol.

No, but I have been on a 5 day house boat hire on the Hawkesbury River, best fun ever. Got drunk every day, tried to head out to sea but ran out of fuel along the way and had to get towed back lol,.

I have a bucket list goal to spend a fortnight on decent HB on the Myalls

Out skiing on glass at first crack of light.............

ta
rolf

Nah...not my cup of tea. Seriously...I am looking at 7-14 day cruises in Europe on QE /QM....and they start at just under $2k. Unbelievable....:D

No, but I have been on a 5 day house boat hire on the Hawkesbury River, best fun ever. Got drunk every day, tried to head out to sea but ran out of fuel along the way and had to get towed back lol,

The boat was basically a caravan on 44 gallon drums to keep it afloat. Whenever the loo was used it would stink the whole inside area so we banned anyone from using the loo lol,

I spent a lot of time on the roof the boat with 4 fishing lines out, also the roof was a great diving platform. But I'd love to be on the Queen Mary lol.

I have a bucket list goal to spend a fortnight on decent HB on the Myalls

Out skiing on glass at first crack of light.............

ta
rolf

Sash, that's cheaper than some house boats

Rolf - the top of the range house boats are awesome. I roughed it in a cheapie and it was still great fun.

Nah...not my cup of tea. Seriously...I am looking at 7-14 day cruises in Europe on QE /QM....and they start at just under $2k. Unbelievable....:D

for a 4 share inside dungeon :)

At her majesty's pleasure takes on a whole new meaning ..................

ta
rolf

Well flights on top....

For example the cheapest cruise is Black Sea one...for 7 days..I believe it starts and ends in Istanbul...

Inside $1049
Oceanview $1249
Balcony $1519
Princess Grill $2609
Queens Grill $3169 - one for you for a old Queen like yourself ;)

Just realised this on the Queen Victoria not the QM or QE.....

Sash, that's cheaper than some house boats

Rolf - the top of the range house boats are awesome. I roughed it in a cheapie and it was still great fun.

Last edited:
As a family we've been on a few cruises. It's all great.

Some things are good value and some not. The rip offs are grog and day trips/excursions. If you enjoy a drink, don't take any notice of the bags will be searched warning. I always smuggle some grog on at the start or at a port and never been searched yet. Also the day excursions can be a rort when pre booked. I've paid up and headed off the boat to do some overpriced activity, and once on land you could have done the same activity for a third the price if you'd waited and went directly with the tour operator!

See ya's.

Back