Cruise - Anyone been on one?

From Broome, If it is available and you have the $$$, then a half day flight by seaplane and power boat to the horizontal falls may be an idea. Expensive, but worth every cent in the words of people I know who have done it.

Thanks Marg. When my hubby gets a decent 4wd we'll have to take a decent trip up there for a few weeks!

I hear the camel ride in Broome is rather overrated. I can watch a sunset without spending all those $$$ and without having other people gawking at me (the tourists)

Does Sydney to Hobart on a 38 foot yacht count, lol

I'm a big 'hell no!!' for cruising, though lots of my friends swear by it for fun with kids. The exception for me would be a destination cruise like Antarctica or the Inside Passage.

Chasing up a friend whose mum went to Broome recently regarding the rock paintings. -Maybe its too far

Going on the 6th.
7th April Geraldton - 8.00am to 6.00pm
disappointing - 10th April -arrive at Broome 2.15am, depart 2.00pm, wt? - so will leave Camel ride for next trip when we fly or drive
12 April - Exmouth 8.00amto 3.00pm

The next one on the 14th has different times

Geraldton..08:00 to 16:00
Broome.....10:15 to 21:00
Exmouth....08:00 to 15:00

I hear the camel ride in Broome is rather overrated. I can watch a sunset without spending all those $$$ and without having other people gawking at me (the tourists)

I agree it is just a camel ride but we did enjoy it and the staff took photos of us with our camera so we have that but when I see the ads for Broome they always feature the ride and it refreshes the memory of our trip :)

The next one on the 14th has different times

Geraldton..08:00 to 16:00
Broome.....10:15 to 21:00
Exmouth....08:00 to 15:00
Jerks! Much better times!
Darn kids/ school holidays.
I'll know to pay more attention to times next booking ;
- and it may have been dinosaur footprints that was at Broome I was thinking of seeing.

I agree it is just a camel ride but we did enjoy it and the staff took photos of us with our camera so we have that but when I see the ads for Broome they always feature the ride and it refreshes the memory of our trip :)
Agree, I like having special memories, something a bit different
- a highlight to a holiday

There are so many positive experiences of cruising here. I might have to go on one just to prove/disprove my hatred of cruising.

I'd rather have a holiday where I immerse myself in local culture/living, like Geoff's(?) bordering with a SA family while at language school.

I like both. Although I do like not having to research areas for accom in each destination plus how to get there and on the the next destination. Wake up in the morning and you are there. Of course you are restricted for time, but you also save travel time as you travel while you sleep. I like the cruise life also. A few sea days are relaxing.

I'll always do a mixture, depending on the destination.

Off to Morocco on a land based holiday next week.:D

Off to New York and also Cruising in September.:D

I am jealous....how are you finding the time to do this?

Are you now retired or still working?

I am off to Turkey/Europe again in May for 1 mth...but can only do a big trip like this once a year...as work gets in the way. :eek:

I like both. Although I do like not having to research areas for accom in each destination plus how to get there and on the the next destination. Wake up in the morning and you are there. Of course you are restricted for time, but you also save travel time as you travel while you sleep. I like the cruise life also. A few sea days are relaxing.

I'll always do a mixture, depending on the destination.

Off to Morocco on a land based holiday next week.:D

Off to New York and also Cruising in September.:D

I am jealous....how are you finding the time to do this?

Are you now retired or still working?

I am off to Turkey/Europe again in May for 1 mth...but can only do a big trip like this once a year...as work gets in the way. :eek:

Being a teacher I get all the school holidays.

We spent a month going around Tasmania in January which was beautiful.
I work 3 days a week so we go away for 4 day weekends in the motorhome once a month.
I'm going to Morocco in the Easter holidays (swapped 2 days to get the extra week off.
In June we will go somewhere for the 2 week holidays.
In September I will take 2 weeks long service leave which, with the holidays gives me nearly 5 weeks off. Off to America probably.
I'm never home in the school holidays.

I think we have it pretty good and am really enjoying myself, although Ian is nagging me to retire (he's retired) as he wants to travel around Australia in a motorhome for at least 12 months. I like it but would have to duck over to Europe every 3-4 months I think. :D Still so much to see.
I love Europe. Turkey is amazing. You could spend weeks just in Istanbul. Ephesus is spectacular. We went to Russia last year. Also amazing.
I've got to live up to name.;)

With some luck...I will be doing this...in the next 4-6 years full-time.

I could do it today....but want to keep uncle Tony & Joe happy...to do my bit to retire later....early to mid fifties...is all I can give. ;)

Being a teacher I get all the school holidays.

We spent a month going around Tasmania in January which was beautiful.
I work 3 days a week so we go away for 4 day weekends in the motorhome once a month.
I'm going to Morocco in the Easter holidays (swapped 2 days to get the extra week off.
In June we will go somewhere for the 2 week holidays.
In September I will take 2 weeks long service leave which, with the holidays gives me nearly 5 weeks off. Off to America probably.
I'm never home in the school holidays.

I think we have it pretty good and am really enjoying myself, although Ian is nagging me to retire (he's retired) as he wants to travel around Australia in a motorhome for at least 12 months. I like it but would have to duck over to Europe every 3-4 months I think. :D Still so much to see.
I love Europe. Turkey is amazing. You could spend weeks just in Istanbul. Ephesus is spectacular. We went to Russia last year. Also amazing.
I've got to live up to name.;)

Chasing up a friend whose mum went to Broome recently regarding the rock paintings. -Maybe its too far

Going on the 6th.
7th April Geraldton - 8.00am to 6.00pm
disappointing - 10th April -arrive at Broome 2.15am, depart 2.00pm, wt? - so will leave Camel ride for next trip when we fly or drive
12 April - Exmouth 8.00amto 3.00pm

Current outlook at path of TC Nathan :D

Broome is on the lower LH side

Attachments

• TC.JPG
    TC.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 42
We were booked in for a 2 week cruise around Asia in December but we're likely going to cancel and do a land-based trip next year instead. It's a shame to lose the deposit but I prefer to choose where to go so it's probably a good decision - not to mention better value for money too. I'm sure I'll get around to a cruise one day :p

We were booked in for a 2 week cruise around Asia in December but we're likely going to cancel and do a land-based trip next year instead. It's a shame to lose the deposit but I prefer to choose where to go so it's probably a good decision - not to mention better value for money too. I'm sure I'll get around to a cruise one day :p

Before you cancel, don't forget that you get a lot of transport, food, accomodation and entertainment as part of the cost. You also don't lose as much time sitting in airports, buses and taxis as when you travle over land.

Of course, it's your decision, and no doubt you'll have a great time either way.

Yep, still sitting on it for a few more months. It's on the Sapphire Princess which looks like a really good ship. We'll see :)

We went on our first one just over a year ago on the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas which was at the time the largest cruise liner in Australia and ever since then, we've become obsessed with them!

The shows each night on our ship were outstanding. Even better was that we never felt the rush to get up early and squeeze in as much as we could in a day..it was stress-free which is what we loved about it. We're not much for sitting by the pool or sitting around doing nothing but we always found something to do and never got bored. Whether it be spa, sauna, eating, having coffee or a quick bite to eat without the kids nagging at us, it was just bliss and more importanantly, great value for money. Accommodation is normally the biggest expense for us on a holiday but cruises represent such great value when you consider you don't have to worry about food or hotels.

Kids club was just so accommodating....opened till 10pm which was perfect as it allowed us to go watch a show with/without the kids, even have a snack afterwards before we went to collect he kids from kids club.

Another great thing was room service....all inclusive so we just ordered what we wanted to our room for no charge...only time they charged a service fee was after midnight and the service charge was something like $5.

We got sea sick for the first couple of days and then after our bodies had that time to adjust it didn't matter how choppy the waters were, we didn't feel or react to it. My sister in law is a nurse so she gave us all a few jabs to ease it but after a couple of days we didn't notice it at all.

We're booked on the new Escape ship (Norweigian Cruise Line) for later this year and we're so excited!! The ship is still being built so by the time we go on it it'll only be 2months old :D

I think its worth trying at least once..you'll know afterwards whether its your type of thing or not. But one advice is try a decent ship before you make a judgement....P&O's are generally considered the budget ship, Carnival is one up from that, Royal Caribbean is one up again and apparently the ultimate (and very pricey) is the Disney Cruise Line...go on cruisecritic and you could spend a good few hours (or days) reading reviews :D

PS. Norweign Cruise Line recently had a promo where 3rd, 4th and 5th passengers travel free which made it even more affordable.

Book direct with NCL and you can be gauranteed that if a better offering came along after you've booked the cruise, you're allowed to take advantage of that offer or if its a cheaper price after you booked your cruise, they will rebate you the difference. Such a hassle free system.

You don't get this same offer if you booked through say flight centre or cruiseabout etc.

Got my room allocation today - we didn't choose at booking - I'm so glad we were allocated ocean view from our window! It's towards the front of the ship on deck 6/14. Can safely watch any cyclones from my bed!

Nice, we are on the trip after you so look forward to any posts on yours

Back