Cruise - Anyone been on one?

PS. Norweign Cruise Line recently had a promo where 3rd, 4th and 5th passengers travel free which made it even more affordable.

Book direct with NCL and you can be gauranteed that if a better offering came along after you've booked the cruise, you're allowed to take advantage of that offer or if its a cheaper price after you booked your cruise, they will rebate you the difference. Such a hassle free system.

You don't get this same offer if you booked through say flight centre or cruiseabout etc.

Thanks for all those tips and ranking of cruises! I noticed the price for my cruise changed quite often. It's best not too book too far in advance or you pay premium.

Being a teacher I get all the school holidays.

We spent a month going around Tasmania in January which was beautiful.
I work 3 days a week so we go away for 4 day weekends in the motorhome once a month.
I'm going to Morocco in the Easter holidays (swapped 2 days to get the extra week off.
In June we will go somewhere for the 2 week holidays.
In September I will take 2 weeks long service leave which, with the holidays gives me nearly 5 weeks off. Off to America probably.
I'm never home in the school holidays.

I think we have it pretty good and am really enjoying myself, although Ian is nagging me to retire (he's retired) as he wants to travel around Australia in a motorhome for at least 12 months. I like it but would have to duck over to Europe every 3-4 months I think. :D Still so much to see.
I love Europe. Turkey is amazing. You could spend weeks just in Istanbul. Ephesus is spectacular. We went to Russia last year. Also amazing.
I've got to live up to name.;)

I think it's time we got an interview out of you, travelbug!!!

I'm right behind you. It's great to have a job where you can at have a sense of being at least semi retired without pulling the plug completely. Europe has been calling me for a while too but we also have IPs we need to give some TLC to. A couple of weeks hols from a regular job wouldn't cut it. I'm hoping to move on to locum stints later this year but teaching sounds great too due to those long hols.

Enjoy lots!

Being a teacher I get all the school holidays.

We spent a month going around Tasmania in January which was beautiful.
I work 3 days a week so we go away for 4 day weekends in the motorhome once a month.
I'm going to Morocco in the Easter holidays (swapped 2 days to get the extra week off.
In June we will go somewhere for the 2 week holidays.
In September I will take 2 weeks long service leave which, with the holidays gives me nearly 5 weeks off. Off to America probably.
I'm never home in the school holidays.

I think we have it pretty good and am really enjoying myself, although Ian is nagging me to retire (he's retired) as he wants to travel around Australia in a motorhome for at least 12 months. I like it but would have to duck over to Europe every 3-4 months I think. :D Still so much to see.
I love Europe. Turkey is amazing. You could spend weeks just in Istanbul. Ephesus is spectacular. We went to Russia last year. Also amazing.
I've got to live up to name.;)

Any tips on what to pack for 9 nights?
I'm guessing one cocktail dress is enough?
Was thinking one light jacket, one warm jacket.
Possibly a $2 shop rain coat/jacket?
Joggers
Mix of casual/smart casual

Thanks for all those tips and ranking of cruises! I noticed the price for my cruise changed quite often. It's best not too book too far in advance or you pay premium.

Actually we booked our cruise quite far in advance (soon after the booking opened) and the price has steadily gone up each week...i think the chances of getting a super cheap deal is only when they have a handful of cabins left closer to cruising date that they want to fill up...we've always seen the best prices at the very start when the booking for that cruise first opens.

Again, book direct with the cruise liner and you're safe in terms of pricing...I know Royal Caribbean had the same policy as NCL in that if a cheaper fare comes along you're able to get it at that cheaper price even if you've already booked at the higher fare.

Update for Redwing.
Impressed with the window. It's quite big. Still at Fremantle. Take off in 4 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 97
We're back at Fremantle. We had a great trip. We saw dolphins, flying fish, sea snakes while on the cruise.

Tips for Redwing-
Eat at Riverfront as much as possible.
Book a car from this place for Exmouth. http://exmouthescaperesort.com.au They will pick you up and drop you off. We did our glass bottom boat tour then snorkelled at torquise Bay. It was incredible! My daughter was lucky to swim with a sea turtle. Fish, octopus, stingrays and coral were amazing. Realised a goanna was lying on the beach near us, hiding in the bush.
At Broome, take a bus to Cable Beach. A big female Manta Ray was swimming up and down the beach.
We didn't bother to get off at Geraldton.
Heaps of lovely staff.
I heard the restaurants that you pay for were great and martini classes. We went to Japanese restaurant cooking demo. Samples were yum!
Enjoy your trip! :)

Thanks INVSTOR

Looking forward to it

We've booked a hire car in Exmouth through Allens car hire, they will met us as we arrive with the vehicle. Travel insurance and CC should assist should we have a crazy kangaroo decide to attack the car

Apparently the 2 hr glass bottom boat tour was booked out, so we are off on the 1 hr trip then will have a look around the place

Have travailed up and down WA numerous times over the years, but I've never stopped in at Exmouth, Shark Bay, Monkey Mia etc

Have people meeting us in Broome to take us around

Re: Geraldton, we may go ashore for a visit to the museum, however I've heard people say they would rather have had the extra time in Broome or Exmouth

Sounds like you had a great trip and break :D

Sounds like you had a great trip and break :D
Yeah, finding it hard being back.

To make the most of your shore days it's best to line up for a tender ticket about an hour before disembarkation.

My kids Loved snorkelling at Exmouth the most, planning to go back again for a week or two ASAP. You don't need to go out far to see the fish. Some even come up to the shallow and check you out. We did the one hour glass bottom boat too.

We got a gold pass for the Edge for the kids and they did almost everything. They loved Segways, trampoline and got to stand on top of the big screen when leaving Broome and Exmouth.

The sunsets were unreal too. We mainly booked 8.00pm dinners to make the most of the sunsets.

Comedy shows were good too.

Back from the trip, missed Exmouth though due to bad weather the tenders couldn't take anyone in :(

Oh no, that's a shame! :( We were the second last or last group to be tendered back to the ship and the weather was just starting to build up. The bow of the tender boat was going under and waves splashing over the top of it. Good ride! When we got back in the ship the pools were resembling Bayswater waves. I bet you had plenty of that. Swimmers looked like they were having a ball.
How was the rest of the trip? Are you still rocking? It took me days to get over the rocking but I have major sinus issues which wouldn't help.

Last edited:
How was the trip, whats the ship like, what activities on board, good food etc?

Trip was great we all had a ball, seemed to spend most days going from one activity or show, to the next

Entertainment Shows included Musicals, Pacific Cirque's acrobats, Magician, Juggler, Lazer Lights, Bands etc

Activities we participated in included zip line (Flying Fox), Standing on the top of the boat (forward facing uppermost deck) as we went into Broome, Titanic Moment, Rock Wall Climbing, Cargo Net climb, Tightrope, Reverse Bungee, Swimming, Gym, Morning Stretch & abs class...and we still missed a ton of stuff that was going on

We attended a couple of seminars and bounced between the buffet section and the Waterfront restaurant depending on activities for our meals. Kids wanted to race up and down the stairs everywhere we went, so that was a workout in itself, but as a positive - burnt off some calories

The kids attended Kids club on occasions whilst we caught up on some activities and enjoyed it (lovely staff).

I took a kindle to read a book or 3 but hardly got through 1

Geraldton - Went to the Museum and the HMAS Sydney Memorial, plus did some souvenir shopping

Broome - Went into Chinatown, visit a number of Pearling & Souvenir Shops and checked out the Luggers, Pearl Shell meat taster, quick visit to Matso's Store, then out to Ganthueme Point to see the Dinosaur footprints and to get some bush tucker, off to Cable Beach for a dip , checked out the camels and off to the Ancestral land for dinner and an ale whilst the kids investigated the property

Exmouth - The only downer, windy day with 2-3 M swell so we upped anchor and departed. Pity, as I was keen to visit the area and take a tour on the glass bottom boat and take a swim/snorkel with the kids...As per INVSTOR we may have to go back that way to see the reefs

At the end of the trip the kids were keen to continue on :D

Trip was great we all had a ball, seemed to spend most days going from one activity or show, to the next

Entertainment Shows included Musicals, Pacific Cirque's acrobats, Magician, Juggler, Lazer Lights, Bands etc

Activities we participated in included zip line (Flying Fox), Standing on the top of the boat (forward facing uppermost deck) as we went into Broome, Titanic Moment, Rock Wall Climbing, Cargo Net climb, Tightrope, Reverse Bungee, Swimming, Gym, Morning Stretch & abs class...and we still missed a ton of stuff that was going on

We attended a couple of seminars and bounced between the buffet section and the Waterfront restaurant depending on activities for our meals. Kids wanted to race up and down the stairs everywhere we went, so that was a workout in itself, but as a positive - burnt off some calories

The kids attended Kids club on occasions whilst we caught up on some activities and enjoyed it (lovely staff).

I took a kindle to read a book or 3 but hardly got through 1

Geraldton - Went to the Museum and the HMAS Sydney Memorial, plus did some souvenir shopping

Broome - Went into Chinatown, visit a number of Pearling & Souvenir Shops and checked out the Luggers, Pearl Shell meat taster, quick visit to Matso's Store, then out to Ganthueme Point to see the Dinosaur footprints and to get some bush tucker, off to Cable Beach for a dip , checked out the camels and off to the Ancestral land for dinner and an ale whilst the kids investigated the property

Exmouth - The only downer, windy day with 2-3 M swell so we upped anchor and departed. Pity, as I was keen to visit the area and take a tour on the glass bottom boat and take a swim/snorkel with the kids...As per INVSTOR we may have to go back that way to see the reefs

At the end of the trip the kids were keen to continue on :D
Nice, you did a lot in Broome!

Redwing, a part from the Exmouth port its sounds a really nice cruise. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not usually one to do things twice but I enjoyed it so much I could do it again! My friend left yesterday on same cruise ship on this one http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/pages/cruiseprofile.aspx?cruisecode=j518
The staff are amazing! I heard They work 8-9 months straight without a break, 11-12 hour days. Before and after my cruise I've known someone to go on the same cruise ship every time it has sailed again. quite amazing- people unboard in the morning and new passengers board later. The ship is continually used! I shall never ***** about hubby working 6 days/wk again.
Such a small world - one of my daughters teachers was aboard our cruise as well as a student in my son's year. The ship's so big though it's not like anyone is in your face. My daughter keeps recognising kids from the cruise that are friends of friends or relatives on Facebook.
We can't wait to cruise again! I'm missing my morning eggs benedict with Salmon with Hollandaise sauce.

Book an MSC Cruise. Fly to Genoa, Italy. Board and cruise multiple countries around the Mediterainian. Simply awesome. I climbed a volcano in Sicily, visited the Cairo Museum, stood on the Pyramids, walked the streets of Pompeii, dined in Greece, shopped for rugs and leather in Turkey, dined like a king and enjoyed a Stage Show each night after a 5 courses of fine dining in the on board 1000 seat Theatre. All in under 2 weeks.
Waking up in a different country each morning was the most exciting factor. I went in November which is end of Season so whole trip was under $4000. All inclusive. Twice as much as a P&O cruise sure, but the memories are MUCH more than twice the value. To me anyway.
Sure there were old people, young people, kids, many different nationalities of passenger (most crew spoke 5 different languages!). But a cruise is what you make of it for yourself. Regardless of what everyone else is doing.
Thankyou MSC Opera.

Back