Cycling to work

I'm curious whether there are any others riding to work?

I'm a bit of a late comer to the whole cycling to work thing not having riden a bike since my mid teens, but last December I bought a bike and started riding it to work. At first I thought I'd do it a couple of times a week but I soon found I was riding every day come rain, hail or shine. I never ever looked forward to my train commute, but every morning I still look forward to my ride to work.

It's only just over 20kms round trip so not exactly very far, but even in a few months I lost a stone and my fitness improved. :)

The biggest challenge was logistics, but I've mostly figured it out now and have only forgotten my shirt once and my underwear a couple of times, LOL. So if anyone is contemplating doing it, I'd say go for it, you won't look back!

Any other keen commuter cyclists here?

Hi Twitch

I'm with you, have been cycling to work for quite a few years now and I love it. It takes me longer to drive, park and walk to work than it does to cycle there. No parking fees or searching for somewhere to park (drives me nuts) plus I get my exercise by default everyday (it's only 15-20 min each way). We only have one car and since my husband cycles as well we only use it on the weekends ( - lots of green creds :) ). Cycling past bumper-bumper peak traffic while going along on the bikepath puts a smile on my face every day:).

Mind you my work isn't very dressy so I can turn up and cool down in my cycle gear before getting changed. Have not had trouble with cars either although I take a bit of a detour to avoid major roads (sleepy drivers in the morning are dangerous!).

So well done getting into the cycling Twitch, can't see you going back to the car commute again!

kaf

Until recently (I now work from home) I used to cycle commute. I love it too. In my younger days I rode about 18km each way to uni through Brisbane's peak hour traffic along Gympie and/or Kelvin Grove Rd - lots of fun. Had a few close calls, but as an experienced cyclist I always felt safer than when driving a car - although I never recommended to anyone else that they do the same.

In my old age (or at least since having a wife and kids) I've found the thrill of riding though peak hour doesn't cut it any more, so I'm just as happy to cruise along a car free cycle way.

It has so many advantages. I think the only disadvantage is if you're not feeling 100% (eg, cold/flu) then it can be a bit hard to get on the bike.

John.

I don't ride to work - I actually walk (roughly 5 k's), although I will probably get a bike one day. But I like walking as it means I'm not sharing the road with psychopathic car drivers and I can trundle along in my own little world thinking about my investments/goals/etc.

Mark

I don't ride to work - I actually walk (roughly 5 k's), although I will probably get a bike one day. But I like walking as it means I'm not sharing the road with psychopathic car drivers and I can trundle along in my own little world thinking about my investments/goals/etc.

Mark

I agree that a good walk is nice, but one of the things I liked about riding through traffic was that you had to give it 100% attention, so it completely cleared your head of everything else for half an hour or so - a great way to leave work at work!

The biggest challenge was logistics, but I've mostly figured it out now and have only forgotten my shirt once and my underwear a couple of times, LOL. So if anyone is contemplating doing it, I'd say go for it, you won't look back!

Any other keen commuter cyclists here?

Twitch,

Good on you. Riding to work is one of the best ways to get fit and stay fit. It also ties into your working day and becomes part of your daily routine.

Unfortunately my work moved, and where we moved to doesn't have a shower (suggestions welcomed?) and its also a dangerous ride (Maroubra to St Leoanards Ie Over the Harbour/Through the City)

I used to ride to School, 12kms each way. I never been fitter than this time in my life.

Logistics seems to be the most hassle as you have suggested. We used to have a guy at work who rode everyday, what he did was get all his shirts dry cleaned and delivered to the office. This way he would just wear his cycling gear and get changed fresh at work. No ironing clothes etc. He said he saved alot in car running costs so a small weekly dry cleaning bill was not an issue.

Again, good on you. I would love to do the same.

I wish i could...but being an REA it may be a little difficult to double people to homes your showing them...:p

How about getting a tandem bike or ricksha for the family on house hunt? :D Just think of the advertising space and attention you'd get!!

kaf

I'm fortunate to have showers at my work and I also managed to scavenge a spare cupboard. So I leave my work clothes at work and wash and iron my shirts at home, roll them up in my bag and bring them in each morning. I could do the whole dry cleaning thing for my shirts but I'm a tight a$$ OK :)

As for physcotic drivers, I think they are very very very rare if you mean drivers that would actually see you and decide to run you over.

Frustrated, angry or inconsiderate drivers are more common but not in themselves dangerous, they may resent you for riding a bike but aren't going to delibrately run you over. The key to being safe is to obey the road laws, ride predictably and be visible including being lit up like a Christmas tree if riding at night.

In 5 months of riding every day I haven't had a single 'moment' or close shave so it's all good. :)

How about getting a tandem bike or ricksha for the family on house hunt? :D Just think of the advertising space and attention you'd get!!

kaf

rickshaw...now why didn't i think of that...would certainly be a point of difference to other agencies!!!:p

Sorry for the following rant, but urban cycling is a current passion of mine.

JohnnyB, I cannot believe you rode along Gympie and Kelvin Grove Roads. I'd never do that in peak hour....though things are a lot worse now than 10 years ago.

Cycling seems to be growing exponentially in popularity in the cities.

I occasionally ride to work, though mostly need the car. Would love to be based in one spot. Would definitely get rid of one of our cars.

Brisbane's bike paths are developing nicely and it is a really good way to see the city, and recreate on the weekends for free. Also a great way to get to know a suburb's character when doing PI research.

I cycle most weekends with friends or a riding group. generally 25-50kms. average 15kph (on shared pedestrian city paths) to 28kph. We generally have a coffee at the destination and ride back. great way to spend a weekend morning... we are all ages too.

Brisbane has installed secured bike sheds at some of its ferry stops and in the city, along with showers and lockers. You need to buy a swipe card from the council to get in.....good if you ride a $2k bike.

I am taking an interest in electric bicycle technology. I think these things will take off as petrol climbs towards $2/L and councils get smarter with bike ways. Lots of info on them on the internet.

Another great idea for cycle commuting is "bicycle buses". No bus involved, just groups of cyclists who live in a suburb meet up and cycle in a group to work. Other cyclists can join in the group along the route. Groups are much safer in heavy traffic.

2 w/e's ago, went in the Brissy to Bay bike ride 50km fund raiser for MS.
and the great brissy bike ride a few months ago ~35km.
there were over 4000 riders in each I believe.
great sense of camaraderie as cyclists tend to be sensible environmentally conscious socially responsible types. apart from some maniac racers.

One of the best parts of Melbourne to me is the Yarra River trail. A cyclist's paradise.

Downside to cycle commute:
rain, wind, feeling off, having to stay back at work late (after dark), late sunrise and early sunsets in winter.

If anyone is interested in exploring Brisbane by bike with other Somersofters, feel free to get in touch. There are a few of us that meet on the weekends and get a few OFIs, auctions, or display centres in on the ride.. and any old bike will do. we aren't bike snobs... :)

Cycling zealot here. I own more bikes than I am prepared to admit (even to myself). I cycle everywhere I can including commuting, and racing mountain bikes at least weekly. Then there's training and recreational riding on top of that.

My commuter is a very unsalubrious 1981 heavy steel road bike. Heavily customised with all gears removed (one speed is all you need). The extra weight of the thing just makes you stronger and means I don't need a lock.

Since getting into racing moderately seriously about 2 years ago I've gone from 83kg to 73kg and am fitter than i've ever been in my life (I'm in my mid 30's).

Edit: Another thing. I commute 20 km a day and I love it so much that I'm considering moving further away! That's how much I like it. If you're able bodied, I reckon youre nuts not to cycle as much as you can - bike are just the most amazing efficient and enjoyable machines. end rant.

My commuter is a very unsalubrious 1981 heavy steel road bike. Heavily customised with all gears removed (one speed is all you need). The extra weight of the thing just makes you stronger and means I don't need a lock.

Sounds great! Reminds me of a "Raliegh 20" I use to ride as a kid, heavy as hell but tough.

I don't think my knees could survive a single speed. I think my dream commuting bike would be a bike with one of those internal 8-speed hubs. I love the idea of no maintenance gearing on a bike. :)

8 of my 10 friends/colleges whom I knew in Adelaide were injured in riding accidents within 10 years. Some of them partly disable now :(.
I got mine (finger broken) after I moved in Bri. Still won't give up. its faster than the pulic transport, and the even car in peak hour, and it's fun.

3 rules to stay alive:
- be visible
- be predictable
- take the safest route

and plase read this:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2006/pdf/death_cyclists_road.pdf

Funny thing is I noticed is that in Europe I saw a lot more bikes this time, could be observation bias working though.. maybe they always had that many bikes in the shop... But I don't think so.

One observation I note from my two wheel adventures in Briz is the size of the demographics.. Can't say X'ers are well represented... But 'Boomers on Bikes' are everywhere! Some business ideas there surely.

I don't cycle to work but walk - distance is 1.5 train stations which takes 20-25 mins. Might cycle one day - we bought bikes over 2 yrs ago that have only made it out of the garage 3 or so times.

I reckon go for it. It is a good way to keep fit and it forces you to do a bit of exercise each day!

3 rules to stay alive:
- be visible
- be predictable
- take the safest route

agree absolutely.

I got a fright when driving the car a few weeks ago. About 3pm, was slowing down approaching a roundabout and was just about to enter at 50kph when suddenly I saw a bicycle come around in front of me from the right. Scared the 'rap out of me, as I would have hit him square on if I'd been more impulsive. He was dressed in dark dirty overalls, black helmet, it was a heavily overcast day, and a busy road that carries a lot of trucks, so guess I subconsciously didn't expect to see a cyclist. He may have been hidden by the car's pillar between windscreen and side driver's window. If I'd hit him, it would have been absolutely my fault. no excuses. It reminded me never to take for granted that a motorist can see you easily on a bike.

I hit one cyclist in the dark. Well, he did not fall, but we were both scared to sh... He rode without any lights in the complete dark. I was in a car coming to t-junction, and he was crossing it, and he was sure I saw him. But I did not. When he just appear in the light of my headlights. I hit the brake and slide with horrible tyre scream. Amazingly I stopped by pushing him only by 5 cm. He did not fell, but raged on me. Well I did the same on him (such a nature, sorry). He called a police. I did a milkshake briefing. The police came, and brought a verdict ‘accident due to riding without lights’, and 100% his fault.

I love my commute and fortunately my place of employment has good support (bike racks, showers, etc).

As I ride I think of three main benefits. 1) my health and wellbeing, 2) environmental factors and 3) saving $

Cheers
Steve
:)

Hubby used to work with a chap who rode to work each day, had a washer bath in the kitchen sink, put his shirt and pants on and did a day's work. At the end of the day, took off his shirt and pants, hung them up for tomorrow, back into the cycling gear and rode home. He wore the same shirt and pants for five days and then took them home to wash on the weekend :eek:

Hubby reckoned the air got a bit rich in the summer.

Wylie

Back