Daylight saving

They never get old :)

But you enjoy recycling them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Truth is when I was 17 Qld had 10 pm closing, simple. NSW closed their bars at 6 pm so the "workers" were forced home because they were so week-willed they could never be trusted to do so on their own. The pubs re-opened @ 7 pm to allow for the "sophisticated" who could be trusted. These "sophisticated" punters were the ones who poured millions into the RSL club's pokies. WOW The practical result was that you had the worst of the "6 o'clock swill" combined with "late night drinking and gambling".

Vic, was worse. They had the 6 o'clock swill but had the "bonafide traveller" law to cater for the "sophisticated". That meant that if you had travelled more'n 50 miles (open to correction) you could have a beer, or TWO. This meant that the residents of Ballarat would drive to Bendigo for a boozy Sunday, only to meet their equivalent (often literally) coming the other way.

So enough of the Queensland jokes, OK?

But you enjoy recycling them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I lived in Qld myself for 7+ years and loved it. My first time was under the guidance of Joh.

You got to admit that things were pretty funny - bigger than Russ Hinze's undies was a classic....

Pumpkin scones, feeding the chooks etc.

But the fading curtains is true and I did explain that one above - need to be drawn earlier to watch the news etc

But I will apologise from the heart of my bottom for any offence and no more poking fun at Qlders ...

The six o clock swill. You are showing your age Mr Fish:) or should l say wisdom.
When l was a kid I was allowed to have a shandy of six oclock larger and there started my life long love of beer. l love beer. l really love beer:D

YD, I am beyond hiding it. I am past the official retirement age. SHOCK! HORROR!

NB I speak of being 17 when 21 was the "drinking age" everywhere bar NSW. The first time I fronted a bar (in Qld) I was in a college blazer. How kooky is that? BTW It wasn't me that spewed in the bus going home. :eek:

if you want more daylight, get up earlier.

if you want less daylight, get up later.

don't put your poxy views thru your local pollie to get a govt mandate to change the timezone so everyone can suffer your vitD deficiences.

don't like it? move to tonga. they get daylight earlier than Sydney.

or better yet - have DST in WINTER when there IS less daylight.....no one needs to try and put a 3 year old to bed in 34º heat while the fading yellow light can't be kept out.

family friendly? pffft - try knocking on the door of a family with young kids during DST at bedtime and see how "friendly" they are.....

no one needs to try and put a 3 year old to bed in 34º heat while the fading yellow light can't be kept out.

family friendly? pffft - try knocking on the door of a family with young kids during DST at bedtime and see how "friendly" they are.....

Aaron my wife and I have two children and they have gone to bed at the same time 7:00 pm since the were sleeping through the night.

If the light is such a problem put roller shutters on their windows. Job done.
If it's hot put the A/C or fan on.

Do you work long hours Aaron? I for one work away for 6months of the year and appreciate all the time I can with my family and daylight saving would be a great thing for the west allowing us to unwind and spend some special time with our families.

To me the above are just excuses.

By the way my children are 3 and 16 months and they have no little tantrums when it comes to go to bed. In fact just say brush teeth time to the youngest and he runs to the bathroom and climbs up on the step waiting for his teeth to be brushed and points to the light for us to turn it on.

Regards

Sadly, not everyone can afford air conditioning, or roller shutters for that matter.

I hated daylight savings on the few occasions it has been forced upon us. I was tired the whole time because it was simply too hot to eat dinner before the sun went down at around 8pm, which delayed the whole bath, sleep routine for the kids (primary school age).

Thankfully a referendum sorted it out.
Marg

Hi Marg,

What about the sun waking everyone up at 4.45am? I would have thought that would have been an issue in the middle of summer.

The heat is the big problem. 4.45am is much cooler and unless you leave the curtains open and let the sun shine in your eyes it won't wake you. And our bedroom faces east....
Marg

Do you work long hours Aaron? I for one work away for 6months of the year and appreciate all the time I can with my family and daylight saving would be a great thing for the west allowing us to unwind and spend some special time with our families.

Surely you don't just spend time with your family when the sun is up and leave them to their own once it's down? :confused:

Back