Dear Sim

Sim,

You have now closed 3 threads on the topic of Derivex. Why ? None of the other moderators have felt the need to step in and exert authority to that extreme.
Granted that it may have got a little personal at some points between certain members, but on the whole I felt it was generally healthy debate.
I for one had been interested reading the views of others and was actually learning alot from the discussion about various investment techniques and strategies. Why would you want to surpress that ?

Healthy debate?

There were no actual facts involved in the discussion of Derivex.

In fact it was pretty clear that some posters hadn't even read the documentation currently available.

Wait until the facts are available & then the topic will be debatable.

I agree with Sim's decision.

We can debate investment techniques and strategies in other threads - Tandella, perhaps you should start a thread about this.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
There were no actual facts involved in the discussion of Derivex.
No facts ? at all ? Not one statement of truth in the entire discussion ? I disagree.
Aceyducey said:
In fact it was pretty clear that some posters hadn't even read the documentation currently available.
I agree with that though :)
Aceyducey said:
Wait until the facts are available & then the topic will be debatable.
And agree with that.
Aceyducey said:
I agree with Sim's decision.
But have to disagree with that. If the topic of conversation does not interest you, then you have the choice of not participating. Change channels, but don't turn off the TV so that the rest of us can't watch.

There were other moderators that participated in the discussion too, so to me that would indicate it was also of interest to them.

Consideration for those keen to participate or learn from the topic of discussion is all I am asking for.

T :)

Last edited:
Hi

Already PM Sim about the closures. No reply as yet.
It must something to do with a rule about if it dosnt exist them we cant talk about it.
Now if I start a thread about a company that has the name of XXX and is going to give loans out for 0% interest is that OK???

Cheers ;)

Why don't you head over to PI.com. There is a free for all about Derivex there.

No need to worry about facts or knowledge - just hook right in.

Cheers,

Tandella,

I'm glad Sim closed them down.

No new stuff was coming to light.

You can always start up a new one though.

Suggested title "My Derivex IFHL has come through." :)

A86

Simon said:
Why don't you head over to PI.com. There is a free for all about Derivex there.

No need to worry about facts or knowledge - just hook right in.
Yeah some real belligerents over there.

Not enough Grasshoppers.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Tandella

Ill speak for SIM ?

He would have shut it because its getting too long, feel free to start another thread where the other one's left off.

ta
rolf

Dear Tandella

In response to your post I advise:

1. Sim has probably not replied to your question because his is overseas with work. Probably asleep.

2. All Moderators discuss in the Moderator Forum these types of decisions jointly. We debate, reach consensus and Sim acts on the groups decision as Administrator.

Whilst still new to the game from what I have seen and learn't is decisons one way and another are made with a number of considerations in mind:

personal attacks
intention of the posts
spam
and yes value

In the case of Derivex the threads commonly became hearsay and implications without much facts. I personally even defended them because some posts were simply silly.

"I have a friend who has a father who use to do this and hunt corporate that and he says, in no relation to Derivex , that ...."

I use and support Somersoft because we all learn from sharing our opinion based on experiences or public comment, but there is a point, where comment becomes repetitive and hence wasteful.

I know personally I never before closed a thread to email until Derivex droned on..

Let ASIC do thier thing and let them come back or close.

My thoughts, Peter 147

Tandella,

I've noticed the moderators are a bit different from PI. And so it would be. It's a different site. They seem stricter on people being civil to each other. Heck, I started a poll on Derivex which got nipped because it was deemed "irrelevant speculation". I was extremely annoyed, but when I thought about it, there's a difference between "interesting" discussion and "important" discussion. I didn't complain. The forum is moderated by volunteers and it takes alot of time to wade through the posts to make sure things stay civil. Derivex is a pretty explosive topic and I'm personally more interested in the facts.

After the first moon landings, there was a saying about the huge, emotional debates about many aspects of the voyage.

"Before the landing, it's speculation. After the landing, it's obvious"

As far as locking down the thread and stopping questions, I've only seen one instance where someone took an unanswered question in a closed thread to the new one started up. Given the huge number of replies and views on each of them, that's pretty indicative that the majority of the discussion was just "yes it is, no it isn't" chit chat.

Having followed the Derivex thread from almost day one in both forums, I don't think there's anything really new to add. If someone wanted to start one, I'd almost say it should be moved to the Coffee Lounge until after the ASIC decision. But I probably have better things to do with my time until something solid from ASIC pops up.

Everytime Sim kills a Derivex thread part of me says, "Thank God!!"

Jireh

Rolf Latham said:
He would have shut it because its getting too long
But the last thread only lasted 5 pages :
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18965
I've read other threads about eating habits, cigarettes and petrol on this forum that have had longer lives than that ! :)

Not to start another Derivex thread (I'll leave that to someone else), but it seems that Consumer Affairs is in the picture now too (for those who weren't aware) :
http://www.interestrate.com.au/fullnews.asp?DT=Full#12683

T.

Peter,

Thanks for the explanation and clarification. I wasn't aware that Sim acts on behalf of ALL moderators, as in the past I believe I have seen moderators themselves wind up threads...

T.

Tandella, As one who has posted on this subject more than I would have chosen to, I am usually thankful when Sim closes the threads.

The battle lines have been drawn but little new, and definately nothing conclusive, has been posted for a month. Most of us simply say "If it happens, I'll have a bit of it". Sounds fair to me! I hang in there because I resent being called an idiot by a paid assassin of the establishment.

I believe it is possible, but not yet convinced it will happen.

Thommo

Jenman on McKnight, Agents, Wrapping, Interest free loans and Derivex

If we combine enough controversial topics in the one thread perhaps it will get locked as well :)

Thommo...does this comment from the head of Consumer protection at ASIC sway your thinking on how possible this product might be?

'As people continue to borrow more, ASIC is seeing more schemes like this being advertised. It's high time that people realise that loans without interest are just pie in the sky', Mr Tanzer said.

Note: before you start into me, I don't write what is on the ASIC site ....I just understand it.

Nat

Hi Nat

Again I ask what has the statement below got to do with Derives these stories relate to offshore investments using a buyers club

Whats it got to do with Derivex??

Im not having a go here Im just trying to understand Nats point??

Back