Design and Quote, or Builder?

Hi,

Im looking to build on a block i just bought.

However, im pondering whether i should go to a designer to have the plans done, and then go to quote with the builders, or just go to a builder direct and then let them do the designs.

I know going direct to a builder means ill have no ownership of the plans, but is this a big deal?

It depends.

I went with a design - then build. I did this as I wanted to be able to tender the construction.

It is impossible to compare apples to apples with a builders design (as they are all quoting on different constructions).
From what I looked at most of the builders would pull existing designs from their portfolio and make some minor adjustments to fit it to the property. I wanted something which was designed for the property.

Noting though that different markets are different. If I was building in Balga I would take a cookie cutter design and build as cheap as possible.
In Yokine I was chasing a higher end of the market so the properties needed to be built to a higher spec to maintain the value.

All depends on what you are trying to achieve. It is a longer process I think doing a design then the build, and it makes it difficult at the initial stages to know what the construction will cost you, as the builder wont know what the design is.

Blacky

Our most recent project we've gone with a design (still getting that through council). In the case of this block, a basic design won't work as there are a lot of local factors and even more site specific factors that need to be considered. If we just asked a builder to throw something together we'd never get it approved.

It's certainly costing us in time and money, but the end result is expected to be spectaular and should more than pay off.

Thanks,

I guess the issue that jumps out at me with the stand alone design is that i cant wrap the cost of that into the building contract, and have it covered under the construct mortgage.

Additionally, the builder will do it pretty much for free, although it may not be particularly personalised.

My block is pretty standard 18x40, so shouldnt require any "special" design consideratons i would hope.

I have no interest in owning my design. I think a good builder should be able to come up a good design for any block.

Having said that, if they can base it on a previous design it makes them able to do an estimate that is more accurate. They know that the design requires 200 x Piece A, 400 x Piece B, and 2 x Piece C.

If they are trying to quote off a design that you own they may need to factor in more unknowns. They might not be able to piggy back off volume deals they have with some suppliers.

You also need to know EXACTLY what your specification requirements are
- ie laundry tiles $44/m allowance
- laundry tap model 102408 by Caroma

I have a diamond shape block and specification for my area (Gwelup) from my builder. That may be the advantage of using a small personalised builder. He has come up with a very effective usage of the block. I'm not sure I could say the same for other builders.

Generally the cheapest (and best value) option will be a house from a project home builder. Instead of getting them to design a house for you, find a project home that meets your requirements. They normally allow 1 or 2 amendments if required as well. Should get you the right result at the right cost and you would be able to see the showhome to know what you are getting before it is built (just watch out for the non-standard inclusions in the show homes).

There's a few factors to consider before you can decide what the best course of action is.

First of all, what is your building budget?

We are tendering at the moment for our build. We drew up a floor plan with desired dimensions and have taken that to two project builders who will do one off designs and also given it to a smaller builder. Cost a few hundred dollars more to have an appointment with the company draftsman but means we can compare apples with apples and not have the expense of building with a custom builder.

Back